Outrage after inhospitality - no rooms for Cubans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RonDawg:
Again, I think the Norwegians are "barking up the wrong tree" as we like to say in America. The issue is with US foreign policy. The poor hotel just got stuck in the middle of it.

A more effective protest would be to the US government, via its embassy in Norway, denouncing a policy that would result in something like this.

This is beyond funny. It's antic. "Poor hotel." There, there.

What policy doesn't allow US hotels to accept Cuban guests? Cubans in miami are allowed in any hotel, although it would be pretty stupid to stay there if they were part of the cuban govt.

There is a policy that forbids spending US dollars in Cuba but I don't think there is anything that forbids us from taking their (converted) money.

There are multimillion dollar grain deals where US farmers sell grain to cuba legally and get paid. US Govt oceanographic ships have had Cuban scientists staying aboard and there was no problem with them purchasing items in the ships store.

I think we are allowed to take their money, just not allowed to spend ours (US) in Cuba. That and the $%#@ govt travel ban that restricts where US citizens can travel in the world.

Because they were not just "Cuban guests" but an "official trade delegation" as info in the thread states ?

but I do not know if that is why

US foreign policy is simple. It must be because much of it was created by simpletons. :D We don't trade with communist countries like Cuba and North Korea. :no Pay no attention to all the trade we do with China and Vietnam. :confused:

Is the government's policy regarding Cuba really affected by a US owned hotel in Norway permitting any type of offical Cuban delegation to stay there? :shakehead IMO this just shows we've needed sanity in our government for a long time.

evad:
This is beyond funny. It's antic. "Poor hotel." There, there.

If you're so smart, I'd like to see your solution to the problem. And don't just say "let the Cubans in", I think that's pretty much beyond hope.

Bethjd:
US foreign policy is simple. It must be because much of it was created by simpletons. :D We don't trade with communist countries like Cuba and North Korea. :no Pay no attention to all the trade we do with China and Vietnam. :confused:

Is the government's policy regarding Cuba really affected by a US owned hotel in Norway permitting any type of offical Cuban delegation to stay there? :shakehead IMO this just shows we've needed sanity in our government for a long time.

If you folks read that Wikipedia link that I so gracefully provided for Kim (though I doubt he read it), you'll see that it's an issue that is far more complicated than just Fidel and the Bay of Pigs.

I don't want to turn this into a political thread (though it's probably inevitable) but it's an issue that has affected both the left and the right on the political spectrum. Remember that it dates back to JFK himself, and the part where Hilton gets involved has to do with a 1999 expansion signed by Clinton.

OTOH I feel Fidel himself is largely to blame for this embargo still being in effect. I'm not sure who taught him that the best way to get money out of someone is to constantly insult them in the UN and in your home country.

I'm not too happy about us giving China favored trade status, but the agreements have been signed and we'll all have to live with that. Perhaps that's the reason why it wasn't done with Vietnam, although we have normalized relations with them again.

DennisS:
What policy doesn't allow US hotels to accept Cuban guests? Cubans in miami are allowed in any hotel, although it would be pretty stupid to stay there if they were part of the cuban govt.

Again, these weren't mere Cuban tourists on vacation. They were a trade delegation, meaning they directly represent the Cuban government. That's where the rub comes in.

There are multimillion dollar grain deals where US farmers sell grain to cuba legally and get paid. US Govt oceanographic ships have had Cuban scientists staying aboard and there was no problem with them purchasing items in the ships store.

I think we are allowed to take their money, just not allowed to spend ours (US) in Cuba. That and the $%#@ govt travel ban that restricts where US citizens can travel in the world.

There are exceptions to the embargo, just like there are exceptions to the travel ban.

Kim:
"We don't want to discrimate and it's not our fault - we're just following orders!". Well, European countries have heard that line before and it just doesn't cut it. They'll be lucky if the boycott doesn't start to spread to other European countries.

Yes that was a famous statement in Europe and if my memory serves me correctly in Japan also. I don't agree with the boycott or the boycott. Neither one hurts the right people.

ugh...where have I been all day?

so, Kim, if a country is a blatant human right's violator, do you think privately held businesses have the right to "boycott" them? Much the way some consumers boycott businesses that damage the environment or if a business wants to not serve the clan..do they have that perogative?

just asking....

As an American national, I don't think I am even allowed in some countries.

catherine96821:
ugh...where have I been all day?

As an American national, I don't think I am even allowed in some countries.

The govt will fine you $10k if they catch you circumventing US regulations by catching a flight through a third country to Cuba. That's the only country that I know of that the govt won't allow you to visit.

Cubans that escaped to avoid persecution are allowed back once every three years and they have been complaining about the change from once a year. I'm still not clear on how they "escaped a regime" but are allowed back for visits.

I don't particularly want to visit cuba but I don't like having less freedom to travel than other democratic countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom