Over-breathing a reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well at least we're getting more info.

Overbreathing does not equal out of air, either.

2 minutes at 115 and starting your ascent?????

2 min left before i needed to start my DeCo Stops. sorry i should be more clear. so thats 12 min bottom time altogether the last 2 min was finding the anchor line which took about a minute then the slow ascent and DeCo stops. then at 90 ft the OOA problem with 1300psi left. Mike

I was more than trained to be on that boat that day. sure I rented my reg. I did all the things a person with hundreds of dives does. Sure I had a problem and I got thru it, No Problem. I dont have alot of info on what kind of reg it was. I have my own now. PM if you want to know what it is. I'm just giving as much info as I can so i can find out what really happened that day. again what really happened that day. But I can never except that i didnt belong on that boat with everyone else because of this one thing. Mike

GotAir once bubbled...
I took a breath it was alittle hard to draw. on the next breath it was alittle harder OK. on the next breath nothing Nada.
That's not overbreathing.... that's a hosed reg.

RichLockyer once bubbled...

That's not overbreathing.... that's a hosed reg.

It passed a tough DM inbspection before and after the dive, except the Venturi got closed during the dive.

don

115' on a rental reg with no buddy instantly available? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

dandydon once bubbled...
It passed a tough DM inbspection before and after the dive, except the Venturi got closed during the dive.
Doesn't make any sense at all. The venturi does not make THAT much difference, and he lost it during the ascent, over 20ft above his max depth.
The fact that it passed a DM inspection at the surface doesn't mean anything, except that I would like to know who the dive op is so I can avoid them.

yeah, all this talk about venturi...

I keep mine closed most of the time. It makes hardly any difference, and certainly would NOT make such a problem as you are describing. I am convinced that this was just the case of a bad rental reg. probably needed servicing, and probably wasnt a great reg to begin with...

Again, I dont know why you would do a dive to 90 ft on a rental reg...

I hope you have learned something from this experience...

Thanks for all your input's on this question I posted. I have learned from this experiance many things. I know this well make a better diver out of me for the future. I do love Scuba Diving! Mike

Back
Top Bottom