Over-breathing a reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rental? There's your answer. You have no clue how well it was maintained. If the 1st stage wasn't working properly, it would be possible for the relative IP to drop. At 90ft, it would drop by nearly 45psi, which could be low enough to cause serious flow problems in the 2nd stage.

Could have also been narcosis/CO2 buildup or mild panic. My first dive to 105ft was a little scary... I felt that I wasn't getting enough air. I could inhale as hard as I wanted and GOT plenty of air, but I felt as if I could not EXHALE enough to properly ventilate my lungs. Coming up 10ft, the problem went away and we continued the dive back down to 110 (feeling never came back).

Rental reg...the filter was probably clogged. The problem would be further worsed if it were a cheaper unbalanced reg

Joe

I PMed Mike about his post with suggestions, but he asked me to go ahead and post:

We were discussing Mike joining SBoard to learn more on the way back to the airport after diving the wrecks off of Morehead City, and some were suggesting names like "SmallEngine" (afraid of social ramifications) and others, when I gave him this one - except there was supposed to be a question mark:Got Air? :confused:

The reg was a rental he didn't understand. I came upon Mike on the DeCo stop where he'd been passed from the first air donor to a second, and I stoodby on the line to assist if needed. I watched the donor's SPG while they finished the donor's DeCo. Mike was flying blind during much of this as his mask had fogged terribly, and when he tried to flood and clear - he'd lose the second stage from his mouth, so he concentrated on breathing, which was a good call. :thumb:

The thought on the boat was that he had the VENTURI switch turned to as closed as possible With the V-switch tightened down, at that depth, he finally hit gas resistance, then tried harder - overbreathing the second stage.

The biggest risk of the incident was that he held his breath as he ascended a few feet to catch up with the next diver on the line. At that depth, the gas expansion in his lungs was not noticeable at the moment. Had this happened and he'd done this all at a shallower depth, the expansion would have been much greater - rupturing his lungs, leading to pulmonary embolism, perhaps complications, Coast Guard helicopter ride to Duke Univ, and a real bummer. But then, the second stage problem wouldn't have happened in the shallows.

He was entirely too polite with the first diver, swimming up and initiating a polite handsignal conversation about the possibility of perhaps borrowing some air. "Next time," I screamed later, "pull your hand across your throat once singaling out of air, then grab the alternate second stage off of the diver!" :drown:

Mike is both an irritating* as well as endearing fellow for a roommate, as well as for a greenhorn diver who'd talked his way onto a boat he didn't belong on. He apparently will not listen readily, though, unless he asks, so I was glad to see his post. He is now accumulating his own equipment, new reg, new BC, etc., and practicing - as indicated on his Athens Scuba Park thread in North America.

*Irritating: Argues when listening would be more profitable, borrows personal items like toenail clippers and hairbrush, and takes your last sixpack of beer while you're napping.

:cheers: don

I have bought a new reg after that day. dacor delivers 145 psi to both my octo and 2nd stage. enough to supply air for two at 100 ft. I was lead to beleive that it was me a greenhorn, not enough dives, and turning my valve off under water LoL, overbreathing, and a list of other excuse's. so one more time a reg on the low setting at 90 ft would be hard to overbreath if it was in good shape ?

What reg?

Maybe.....

Can I tell if my reg is in the "low"position?

YES.

Could my wife? Probably not.

It ain't that cut and dried with so little info.

Your switch should not have been in the "low" setting at depth.

Thanks for the honesty Dandy. And I'm sure GotAir will thank you some day too.

He's starting off right.

(Asking questions etc....)

Don's words
The thought on the boat was that he had the VENTURI switch turned to as closed as possible With the V-switch tightened down, at that depth, he finally hit gas resistance, then tried harder - overbreathing the second stage.

High and Low. two choice's. Valve open double checked by Mike-1 before diving in. 1300 psi left
What does it take to overbreath a good reg at 90 ft thats on the low setting ?

In a post by itself for the new guy.

Take a couple good long, hard "Hauls" off of it prior to entering the water. You should see ZERO pressure drop on your SPG whilst inhaling. If you do, don't dive it, or fix the prob first.

Make that one of your NEW checks.

Really GotAir, it depends.

Can I over breathe my Mk25/G250 at depth with the adjuster wound to "Brick" and the venturi "low". I'm not sure, but it DOES breathe harder. Maybe if I'm booking against a hard current, but then again, I never would.

You're not going to get an answer that matters in your case. What if the reg was set-up slightly incorrect? One that MAY be OK, now, MAY not be.

Regards brother.

GotAir once bubbled...
What does it take to overbreath a good reg at 90 ft thats on the low setting ?
You should still not be able to.

"Overbreathe" implies that the reg cannot deliver enough air. The adjustment has no impact on that.

You have two adjustments on high-performance regulators, one adjustment on most all regs:

Venturi: Does the reg blow the air directly into your mouth, or against the top of the case before going into your mouth.
I often leave mine in the "-" position, as it helps prevent dry-mouth. It affects the PRESSURE with which the air is hitting your mouth, but does not affect the volume, therefore, is not contributory to "overbreathing".

Cracking force: This is the big knob on the side. This controls the spring tension... how much effort is required to open the 2nd stage valve.
Again, this has no impact on how MUCH air is delivered, or even how "open" the valve is allowed to go... it simply adjusts how hard you have to suck to open the valve.
It also does not affect the volume of gas delivered, therefore, is also not contributory to "overbreathing".

Don's words
The thought on the boat was that he had the VENTURI switch turned to as closed as possible With the V-switch tightened down,(((((( at that depth)))))), he finally hit gas resistance, then tried harder - overbreathing the second stage.

Mike
I spent most of my bottom time at 115 ft. with 2 min on my computer it was time to start my ascent. slow and easy i came up the anchor line relaxed and as I took a breath it was alittle hard to draw. on the next breath it was alittle harder OK. on the next breath nothing Nada.

Don's words again
He was entirely too polite with the first diver, swimming up and initiating a polite handsignal conversation about the possibility of perhaps borrowing some air. "Next time," I screamed later, "pull your hand across your throat once singaling out of air, then grab the alternate second stage off of the diver!"

Mike
My point here is I was calm the whole time and why would I have a overbreathing problem ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom