over weighting death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trtldvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Of all the dive deaths I know about, I find this one to be the saddest:( . So many lessons can be learned from this accident.

1. How over weighting can begin a chain of events.
2. How quickly a diver can progress on the stress curve.
3. How a panicky diver can become the most dangerous creature in the ocean.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Arial]

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Times New Roman]
BY ANN HENSON​
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Times New Roman]

Citizen Staff​

A 36-year-old Pennsylvania woman died Sunday while diving in 25 feet of water at Molasses Reef.

Monroe County Medical Examiner Michael Hunter said he will conduct an autopsy today to determine why AAA died.

AAA was on a dive trip aboard an Ocean Divers vessel with her two children, ages 10 and 13, and a dive club buddy, BBB, he said Monday.

BBB told deputies that after they all entered the water, AAA told him she had on too much weight and he helper her drop some of the weights, reports say.

"Suddenly she began to panic. She began fighting him in the water, at one point climbing on top of him and pushing him under the water," reports quoted BBB.

BBB told deputies he tried to inflate his buoyancy compensator to help keep her head above water, then he and the children began to call for help. By the time she was pulled aboard the dive boat, AAA was not breathing, reports say.

A doctor aboard the boat began CPR, but paramedics who met the boat at a Port Largo park pronounced AAA dead at 2:45 p.m., reports say.

Ocean Divers manager Joe Angelo declined to comment on the incident.

AAA was an office and marketing manager at Renaissance Psychological and Counseling Corp. in Kingston, Pa., according to Dr. John Reinhardt, who is affiliated with the corporation. BBB also works there.

AAA was the eighth person to die in a diving incident in the Florida Keys this year, according to the Sheriff's Office.

ahenson@keysnews.com

[/FONT]

My heart goes out to the family and to all involved.​

I heard from another diver around this boat and the location wasn't a reef, and the said person was bumped or pushed overboard by crew. I could be wrong but coming from someone onsite and watching this take place, I think the story in the paper is wrong...

Either way proper weighting and gear drills are a way to overcome most weighting issues.

My prayers to the family, I hate hearing about accidents and this one at a young age too boot. DRS if anything is needed let us know....

Am I reading this wrong, or is it correct to say, that she never even descended? Just on the surface preparing to go down?

Sounds like a tragic reminder of instilling drills with automatic reaction and problem solving instead of panicking.

Components:
Knowing a good weight amount for yourself
Pre-inflating the bc prior to entry
Dumping weight
Keeping your reg in your mouth at all times

Poor kids....

It is sad and it's also a reminder that getting rescue training is very important. Handled properly (assuming this happened the way it's stated) this was most likely a fairly easy problem to handle with a little rescue training.

Knockneed Man:
Am I reading this wrong, or is it correct to say, that she never even descended? Just on the surface preparing to go down?

That is the most common place for panic to hit.

Knockneed Man:
Components:
Knowing a good weight amount for yourself
Pre-inflating the bc prior to entry
Dumping weight
Keeping your reg in your mouth at all times

It's more basic than that. A diver has to have confidence in their self and their own abilities. Most inexperienced divers simply don't. A confident diver will not panic.

SharkBaite:
I heard from another diver around this boat and the location wasn't a reef, and the said person was bumped or pushed overboard by crew. I could be wrong but coming from someone onsite and watching this take place, I think the story in the paper is wrong...

Either way proper weighting and gear drills are a way to overcome most weighting issues.

My prayers to the family, I hate hearing about accidents and this one at a young age too boot. DRS if anything is needed let us know....

i heard basically the same thing. prayers

dano

After over a hundred dives I can look back and see how inadequate my training to become a safe scuba diver was. My instructor had compared getting the PADI OW certificate to getting a driver's license. In reflection I was prepared to be a much safer driver than I was a safe diver. This situation seems to be a tragic lack of training and preparation for safe diving. It is indeed sad and prevention of accidents like this depends on getting beter educated than is the preparedness implied with OW certification. New divers need much more education and more mentoring with experienced and safe divers.

aowdan:
i heard basically the same thing. prayers

dano

The Monroe county police report said it was at Molasses and it mirrors the press release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom