over weighting death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
deepstops:
So was this poor lady actually bumped or pushed off the boat by the crew??

Unless they were assisting her into the water when she was ready to get in, I can't imagine that actually being true.

Ocean Divers is a first rate operation. I have used them since 1998 for my classes...The captains and crews are very well seasoned and experienced.

cudachaser:
Ocean Divers is a first rate operation. I have used them since 1998 for my classes...The captains and crews are very well seasoned and experienced.

You beat me to it!!!!

cudachaser:
I second that!!! I did my IDC with them in 2005. Very professional Captains and Instructors.
Charlie

As always "the experts" are spouting.
Why don't all of you wait until ALL the facts are known before expressing opinions about the behavior of the dive op. and the other people involved.

Dive death may be salt water drowning

Key Largo - A dive death on Molasses Reef of of Key Largo Sunday appears to have been caused by salt water drowning.

According to the Medical Examiner's Office, preliminary results indicate 36 year old #### died of salt water drowning, although the autopsy is not complete pending the return of toxicology test results.

According to reports by Deputy Patricia Garcia, 36 year old #### was on board a dive vessel owned by Ocean Divers Sunday afternoon with a male friend and her two children, ages 10 and 13. Her friend, ###, said he, the victim and her two children entered the water to dive together. He said she told him she had too much weight on so he helped her drop some of the weight. Suddenly, he said she began to panic. She began fighting him in the water, at one point climbing on top of him and pushing him under the water. He said he tried to inflate his Bouyancy Compensator more to help keep her above the water. He and the children all reportedly began calling for help. By the time they and the victim were pulled on board the dive vessel, the victim was unresponsive and not breathing.

Witnesses say they heard calls for help from her friend and her children and they were all pulled from the water, onto the boat. A doctor was on board and performed Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation on ##### as the vessel returned to shore. Paramedics met the vessel at the end of Marina Avenue at 2:45 p.m., but she was pronounced dead.

Detective Genie Hernandez responded is the investigating officer on the case.

July 16, 2007

I was diving Snapper Ledge at 2 PM on Sunday. (approx. 2 miles South of Molassas Reef). The conditions were great, minimal current and waves.

I can not understand how this could have happened. You hit the water with your reg in your mouth, which you have determined to be "ON" before you enter the water. If you are overweighted that severely, the worst that should happen is that you go down 25 feet to the bottom. Plenty of time to get sorted.

How do you get that overweighted? You did not know how much weight you needed? When was the last time you dove? Did your buddy check you weights before you entered the water? Another example of an out of stater who never dove in salt water and overcompensated for the extra buoyancy?

She dropped "some" weight? Most of the out of state divers show up with mask, fins and snorkle. They are using rented basic BCs w/weight belts. How would her buddy have dropped "some" weight?

It seems to me that there is a recurrent problem here. Divers from out of state that come to the Keys, and do not make it back alive. Is this a real problem and are there any solutions that are livable? Can a dive op do any more that they do now to ensure the requsite training and qualifications of the divers they transport to the dive site?

NO CRITICISM OF OCEAN DIVERS OR ANY OTHER KEYS DIVE OPERATOR INTENDED OR IMPLIED!

maj75:
Is this a real problem and are there any solutions that are livable?

Yes, it is a real problem. Lots of divers panic like this every day. Fortunately, few of them die, but even one is way too many.

Of course there are solutions, but those solutions will never happen. Profits would suffer.

maj75:
Can a dive op do any more that they do now to ensure the requsite training and qualifications of the divers they transport to the dive site?

No, nor should they have to do more than they are already doing. Checking for a c-card should ensure the diver actually knows how to dive and knows how not to panic. It doesn't. Short of testing every diver or assigning them to baby sitters, there's nopthing that can be done. I hate the concept of turning DMs into baby sitters. There are already way too many places where this has happened. It merely allows the problem to get worse instead of correcting it.

Seems to be some contradiction to "the facts" in relation to this incident.
Go to spearboard.com - Miami -Florida keys and look at the thread about a death on Molassas Reef.
Read it carefully & completelyv - Rather interesting

As I read through the postings I noticed a defence of the dive boat agency...the real situation is the diver panicked in the water. This is a sad occurrence but let's look at the diver...how long has she been diving, did she take a refresher course, panicked divers can be dangerous to the person attempting to assist them, sometimes diving accidents or panics occur and with proper training and following all (all) OW basics you should be able to work through most situations. Even when there is a trained Rescue Diver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom