Overcoming Fear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what technique will work best for you, although there have been many good suggestions, but I do hope you can overcome your fear and begin enjoying diving again! When I was a child, my father took me to the beach for the first time, and right away a wave knocked me over and tumbled me. It was probably no more than a foot high, but of course from my perspective I had just been demolished by a monster wave. Needless to say, I was terrified, but my dad encouraged me to wade back into the water and face my fear. I definitely think that turning right back around and going out helped. I would have had a much harder time had I waited and said, "I'll get back in the water next time." I also remember feeling very uncomfortable underwater during my basic OW class. For me, no techniques or mental exercises helped. It was only when I realized how much fun I could have underwater that the anxiety left me. So keep your chin up! Maybe that moment will come for you too :)

Back
Top Bottom