Overfills on steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Now I know its a popular cave trend to fill LP 104's to 3000psi or a bit more, how does this roll over onto other size steel tanks. I have an opportunity to get a matching pair of lp steel 72's which at 3000 psi would be more than plenty of gas for me on most of my everyday diving.

I have been told that 72's are much weaker than other steel tanks and I have been told if you can do it to 1 lp tank you can do it to most any other lp tank. any advice. Thanks

I see your in Minnesota, I 'am also and have a set of double 95's steel LP w/OMS 200bar manifold for sale. Choice of black or white, $550.00
Al

All my tanks are LP and I cave fill them all....except for the 72's, I may go over just a tad but they are old and they scare me to jack them up like my others, also I use my overfilled tanks soon after the fills and don't like to have them sitting around like that.

The only thing I have ever heard regarding the overfilling of different tanks is from my LDS (run by cave divers). They will not overfill Worthingtons but they have no problem with Faber or PST. Not 100% sure why. That being said I dive in cave country regularly and I have seen all kinds and sizes of steel tanks overfilled. My Faber 95's are filled to 3400 at all the shops no questions asked. I have dove 72's at that pressure also.

I would not buy 72's if you know full well you need to overfill them to make them useful for your needs. To me overfilling tanks should be more the exception than the rule.

Size your tanks to your needs and then use the overfill if you have to.

Also keep in mind that unless your in cave country or have your own compressor overfills will likely be hard to come by.

Mat.

You simply need to have an agreement with the dive shop. Ordinary tank monkeys are not going to be able to accomodate you. Get to know the owner, and become a faithful and profitable customer of his/hers.

Then make sure your overfill is within the tolerances of the burst disk, and also have them install stronger burst disks if necessary.

Stay well below the hydro capacity, in any case.

And then shut down your isolator first, if you ever have a problem while diving.

Ok maybe I need to back up and explain myself.

I dont need the over fills all the time, I have great air consumption and usually the al80's are overkill.

I can get tanks filled to anything I want since I am the one filling them most of the time as several friends have compressors.

I dont want to spend any more money on tanks right now, a friend is selling a set of 72's than have a single outlet manifold for faily cheap and I thought they may work for sidemount diving (I started a thread on that elsewhere).

Right now all I own are al80's and one can never pass up a good deal from a friend.

I dont have intentions of filling these things to 3k all the time but thought it would be more of a reason to get them if they could get over bumped once and a while should the need arise.

burst discs are of no worry to me, I am gonna start double discing all my tanks or just put in plugs (spare me the warnings please).

So really back to the question, what is it about 72's that sets them apart from other steel tanks which makes people shy away from overfills. Thanks

The only thing I have ever heard regarding the overfilling of different tanks is from my LDS (run by cave divers). They will not overfill Worthingtons but they have no problem with Faber or PST. Not 100% sure why. That being said I dive in cave country regularly and I have seen all kinds and sizes of steel tanks overfilled. My Faber 95's are filled to 3400 at all the shops no questions asked. I have dove 72's at that pressure also.

That's really weird, I'd love to know their reasoning for thinking the Worthingtons aren't as strong.

Could it be that they don't sell Worthingtons?

I have Worthington Steel 108 LP. I fill them to 3200 all the time. 3400 if I am going right out. I have had them for over 100 fill and no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom