Overloading 16lb weight pockets unsafe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Screwball

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there, I recently bought a set of 16lb Diverite pockets for use with a VoyagerPac BCD. I thought that would be enough (rookie mistake!) but after doing some dives yesterday I found that I need about 11 or 12kg total to get down (5mm double wetsuit, AL80, 6ft and 87kg in salt water). My question is whether it is safe to load these pockets with more weight (6kg in each, as opposed to 3.6kg as rated)? Or will the buckle/velcro attachment system not stand up to that? I'm sure the answer is no but would like to confirm before I go to the trouble of returning them to a shop on the other side of the world! Cheers for your help.

I tell all my students that a good rule of thumb with pockets is 50 -75 % of rated limit.

My own opinion. I'd add weight to the cam bands and wear a weight belt. The loss of no one system should result in you losing more than say 2-4 lbs (1-2 kilos) of your lead since that is all you should ever need to drop in an emergency to start to get positive. Once you're on the surface you can drop any other lead.

I'll second what Jim said. Overloading weight pockets past their rated capacity is not a good idea. Either return them for the 32lb pockets or wear a weight belt. You're only looking at 4.8 kilos which would be easily manageable on a weight belt.

If you need that much weight to stay down, loading the pockets with almost double the rated capacity would be a bad idea. Image the velcro fails, the weights drop out and you rocket to the surface.

I would either get the 32 lb pockets or wear the extra weight on a belt. Not important to most people but if you wear half your weight on a belt, it makes taking off your BCD at depth easier.

Thought this might be the case. Guess I'll get a weight belt to hold me over until I can get some 32lb pockets. From the sounds of it if this is the only thing wrong with my first setup I won't have done too badly. Cheers all.

One thing Ive had trouble doing is getting more weight in the any weight pockets than they are rated for you might be able to get an extra pound or two but for extra weight I add a weight belt.

Another one chiming in with the belt suggestion. In a DS and my winter undergarments I need from 15 to 18 kg (depending on tank size and type) to stay down. That's split with 5.6kg (12#) in my weight pockets, the same on a belt and the rest on my BP. There are several advantages to splitting the weight like this, the most notable are safety in the unlikely case I'd need to ditch at depth, a lighter rig and less weight on the small of my back

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I would bag the idea of getting larger pouches. Go with a weight belt. You'll find gearing up is a lot more pleasant with a belt. put on the belt, tank and then fill the pockets. Not a bad experience and you can carry weight on your hips much without much drama. You can hand a belt off much more easily when trying to lighten up before climbing onto a boat. As for ditching, like Jim said, you don't want to get rid of too much at depth.

I have the same setup you do with the same wing. This past fall I was doing some diving in two wetsuits and found that I needed more weight. Normally the 16s are perfect for warm ocean and mid atlantic diving with me but i added 2lbs on each of my cam bands. Its not enough to stop an emergency if I had to dump weights but also don't have to wear a belt for the one dive. I must admit though taking off a bc underwear with half the weight on the belt is a lot nicer then having it all in the BC and holding onto the BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom