Overweight instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gotnogills

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just wanted to vent, get some input, whatever. I just finished an Open Water course in Tacoma, WA. It was a team taught course with two instructors. One was so overweight that she had to have the other put fins on for her. She could barely move in or out of the water! Then she was supposed to demonstrate an emergency asent, (cesa?) and was so out of breath when she inflated her bc that we were all pretty sure that the dive master was going to have to save her. on top of all this, we get a talk on how not to put you mask on your head, then in the open water she does and loses it and the other instructor had to go find it for her! she was so slow with the class that the other instructor had to help get our group caught up so we could actually finish.

I take good care of myself and workout with my bf at the gym, so without sounding too insensitive, do you think this gal should lose a few pounds because some of us were thinking she wasn't exactly a safe instructor to have? what should a student do when faced with something lke this?

Find a new instructor.

She probably IS a new instructor.

This is what you get when people follow the classic "progression" from zero to hero ... an instructor who can parrot back what she was told, but lacks the understanding to explain it, the skills to demonstrate it, and the experience to organize a class sufficiently to teach it.

To answer the OP's question ... don't judge an instructor by their body shape, but from what you described above this particular instructor has bigger issues ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you can't put on your own fins... you probably shouldn't be an Instructor... just my opinion.

........One was so overweight that she had to have the other put fins on for her........

IMHO I agree that this is unacceptable however I was actually taught to help your buddy on with their gear so this likely falls within limits

............on top of all this, we get a talk on how not to put you mask on your head, then in the open water she does and loses it and the other instructor had to go find it for her..............

This should have been an oops moment where she ate her words and displayed he other skills and went to retrieve the mask herself. Obviously if the other instructor was there to retrieve it for her, she would not have been leaving any students alone.

..............because some of us were thinking she wasn't exactly a safe instructor to have.............

IMHO, you do not yet know what it takes to be a safe instructor other than an uneducated but possibly very intelligent thought process. Watch out how you label someone as unsafe (or incompetent) and simply decide you want to switch because you are not comfortable with that instructor.

What should you do??? Since you are part way through you may pull the other instructor aside and let them know you would be more comfortable with them rather than the other woman....but ice. Tell them it is her teaching style or something rather than get into a fight about weight. Finish your training and get your C Card, then pull the LDS owner aside and tell them your concerns. Perhaps that person will be talked to....perhaps not.

If this does not work and you cannot get the other instructor to take you over and still feel unsafe, stop your training and find another instructor elsewhere.

I just wanted to vent... what should a student do when faced with something lke this?

Join ScubaBoard and make your first post. :D That's what most people do.

If you feel that your training was inadequate (I didn't hear that), I'd ask the shop to rectify the situation. If you have tried that and it fails to resolve it, think very carefully before you file a complaint with any agency.

Do you feel in some way that your instruction was inferior beyond simply what you saw and analyzed?

Last edited by a moderator:
So is a woman that may need help lifting her gear from the tank holder on a boat an unsafe diver as well? Because you might not want to get a girl instructor either. What about a small girl, with small lungs. She may not be able to swim as far as a man, so she is an unsafe diver in the case of a rescue.

In this case I would say that the weight isn’t the issue but the lack of mobility and cardio fitness is. It is possible that she could be taking your class out alone and is the only certified diver there-what if something happens? Is she going to be able to provide rescue?
Obviously we can’t rate her teaching abilities or skills but I would have issue with her physical limitations.

I have seen instructors whose weight poses a serious risk not only for them but for students. When an instructor cannot gear up themselves and gets out of breath on a simple drill such as a CESA it then becomes time for someone to say something. You as a new diver are not in a position to do this. What you are in a position to do is speak privately to the other instructor or shop owner and express your concerns. Calmly and cooly. If you get too excited it may create a barrier from the get go. But to phrase it as concern for your safety, the instructors safety, and the shop's reputation may let them know there is an issue that needs corrected. It is then in the hands of the shop management to take some type of action. You stated that the other instructor got you up to speed. Did you complete your certification process? Do you feel it was complete and safe? If not then you can state this as well. Finally your last option if you know FOR A FACT that the shop took no action is to file a quality report with the certification agency. Personally I do not mind helping another instructor. In fact that is the way we teach most of our classes. What I would mind is doing it because they let themselves get out of shape or had some other issue that made them unsafe that could have been corrected.

Back
Top Bottom