Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

js47

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for a low-lift wing to pair with my new AL Freedom Plate for a tropical travel rig — my slight preference would be for a VDH wing due to the internal bungee, but the Oxy is a very close second place (except that I can't stomach the new price). I take barely any lead so the 18 pound wing should suffice. Shipping or pickup would be to 10023 in the USA, BS8 in the UK, or meet me in Bonaire :)

Please let me know if you'd be willing to part with anything.

Thanks in advance.

Jake

In my opinion, (and I am in the minority) is that Oxycheq wings are less than ideal for travel. The reason is the shell is coated and not flexible which makes it more difficult to pack than a more flexible wing such as a Halcyon or DGX. If you live year-round in a tropical location than this is a non-issue. I would recommend seeing an Oxycheq wing in person before buying one.

Have you checked out this DGX wing? It’s awesome.

In my opinion, (and I am in the minority) is that Oxycheq wings are less than ideal for travel. The reason is the shell is coated and not flexible which makes it more difficult to pack than a more flexible wing such as a Halcyon or DGX. If you live year-round in a tropical location than this is a non-issue. I would recommend seeing an Oxycheq wing in person before buying one.
Not true!
The Oxycheq Mach V 18 wing is not coated. I have 2 of them. My wife and I fit our Freedom plate and the wing into one side of our carry on bag. This wing is perfect for travel! and no, it's not for sale. LOL

Not true!
The Oxycheq Mach V 18 wing is not coated. I have 2 of them. My wife and I fit our Freedom plate and the wing into one side of our carry on bag. This wing is perfect for travel! and no, it's not for sale. LOL
It is true, please let me educate you.

Here is an old post from Patrick, the owner of Oxycheq:

I believe DSS is using black, 22 mil urethane. OxyCheq uses clear, 25 mil so you can inspect the bladder for crud (salt, organisms).

Our inner bladders are over 10% thicker than what you are now diving. And, all of our outer shells (other than the Extreme) have five ounces of urethane under the outer shell.

Even though our wings are built quite well, I do expect that sooner or later someone will put a hole in one. I plan on it and that is exactly why we put zippers on all of our wings that have internal bladders.

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq
---
OxyCheq

Best regards,

Patrick

I bolded the relevant part of his post. The urethane coating is what makes the shell of a Mach V stiff unlike other wings. That makes it harder to pack than more flexible wings such as a Halcyon or Mares. I own both an Oxycheq 18 and 40, and own/owned wings by Apeks, Mares, DSS, DRIS, Halcyon, Hollis, and AGIR. Consequently, I am able to compare wings. I never said the Mach V was unpackable, just that the stiff shell makes it less optimal for a travel wing.

@js47 I am sorry for the thread hijack but when someone accuses me of being a liar I need to respond. At least it bumps your thread up.

Nowhere in my post did I call you a liar, it is untrue that the Oxy 18 is (your words), .Oxycheq wings are less than ideal for travel. The reason is the shell is coated and not flexible which makes it more difficult to pack.
5 extra ounces for an entire wing doesn't make it not flexible and less than ideal for travel. Sorry that's the truth.
I think the OP has already decided this is what he wants.

Thanks for the feedback everybody and sorry for the delayed response (wasn't getting notifications for some reason). Overall size and weight (both in and out of the water) are the primary concerns for me, though compressibility/packability are close secondary concerns just so I can take a smaller suitcase. Didn't know the non-Extreme Oxys were coated so thanks for that info. Maybe I need to find one in person to feel how stiff it is.

My top choice wing is the VDH 18 for those reasons but of course those are almost impossible to source. I reckon the Oxy 18 is the next best thing that will work perfectly with the Freedom Plate, but I am always open to suggestions.

Have you checked out this DGX wing? It’s awesome.

Really hoping they come out with an 18-23 pound low-lift version since I really don't need 30#!

Really hoping they come out with an 18-23 pound low-lift version since I really don't need 30#!

It’s streamlined and the extra lift would be helpful in rough seas.

Mares XR has a 22lb version
Apex WTX has an 18lb version (pricey)

These fit your weight spec, but maybe their elongated shape is not what you are looking for?

Back
Top Bottom