oxygen tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tfan

New
Reaction score
Hello all-----long time diver,new to this site.Seems YOU are the guys to go to !! (great site).I came across quite a few o2 tanks recently,and as these things are everywhere,Im sure this has come up before---can I use em ?!?!------the tanks are steel,25 3/4 tall x 4 1/8 diam----havent yet pulled the valve,but looks to be 7/8 diam -------markings include---DOT 3AA2015--------------M8004----------------REE 24.7--------TC 3AAM 154---------1222399--------11A99+* -------85------------

So here are the questions--Do I want to get them wet ?----If so,can I find valves ? ( I know its tough without stem measurements---will get those asap)------as I said,Im sure this has come up before,so I apologize if this is repetative. If do-able---will be making 6-8 buddies real happy !!

THANKS !!!!!

tfan

They are designed for medical oxygen above the water, not as deco bottles. They typically have a tapered thread, not proper for a scuba valve. Although I've never put one in the water, I'll bet they are many lbs buoyant. You won't be happy with them.

If they are oxygen tanks I hope you plan on staying above 20 feet.

Sounds like an E oxygen cylinder. It uses a 1/2" taper pipe thread valve. New and old 1/2" NPT scuba valves are available. Back in the day they were sometimes used as pony tanks. I have one as part of a vintage rig, today there are better choices.

For once this is the proper question, these ARE O2 tanks he wants to convert to scuba use, much like CO2 tanks were in days gone past.

Like Capt said, if you can get the proper valve, there is no reason not to use them although no telling what the buoyancy is like.

I did a little more reseach. If those cylinders are indeed 1999 cylinders, they come with the newer .750-16 UNF o-ring seal. Scuba valves are not available with that thread, although you can have a machine shop rethread a scuba valve for you. It will cost approximately the same as buying a 30 or 40 foot pony bottle.

I WILL GUESS THAT IF YOU COULD GET THEM to accept a valve you will be hard pressed to find a shop that will fill them. if you have access to a private compressor that is another story. I would not use them for scuba but they may be ok for your car suspension if you are into that. I would bet that these modified tanks will be the talk of the day at your hydro shop. I will not continue with the obvious as i have probbably already deviated too far from the op.s ?

---------- Post Merged at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:34 AM ----------

educate me please. why the 20 ft issue. 20 ft is for the gas not the tank, it sounds like they are trying to make non-o2 low cost scuba tanks. I am hoping that they are using them in thier pool (cleaning) and no where else.

I did a little more reseach. If those cylinders are indeed 1999 cylinders, they come with the newer .750-16 UNF o-ring seal. Scuba valves are not available with that thread, although you can have a machine shop rethread a scuba valve for you. It will cost approximately the same as buying a 30 or 40 foot pony bottle.

He said it was steel, all the aluminum E cylinders have the .750-16 UNF thread, I believe all the new and old steel cylinders use 1/2" NPT.

---------- Post Merged at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:39 PM ----------

For once this is the proper question, these ARE O2 tanks he wants to convert to scuba use, much like CO2 tanks were in days gone past.

Like Capt said, if you can get the proper valve, there is no reason not to use them although no telling what the buoyancy is like.

Back in the day they were strapped on the back of doubles 72's as a pony by wreck divers. I would have to check the buoyancy of mine, never much cared what it was.

He said it was steel, all the aluminum E cylinders have the .750-16 UNF thread, I believe all the new and old steel cylinders use 1/2" NPT.

He certainly did, 3AA usually is steel. My bad, and the buoyancy probably isn't too bad either.

Back
Top Bottom