P- Valve vs relief zipper vs depends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can someone school me briefly on the balanced vs unbalanced p-valves?
Unbalanced is a hose connected to you going out of the suit. There is an air space in the hose. You need to pee on the surface to fill that air space with liquid. If you don't, the air will contract under the pressure and close itself off. You won't be able to pee as the hose will be pinched flat.
This is the simplest and most reliable design, but you must remember to pee on the surface.

Balanced valves have an interior duckbill that allows air from the suit to equalize the hose. These do not need to be primed. Every few years, the duckbills need replaced or they will allow seawater to leak into the suit.

Either options works, balanced is easier but requires maintenance.

Can someone school me briefly on the balanced vs unbalanced p-valves?

Unbalanced is a hose connected to you going out of the suit. There is an air space in the hose. You need to pee on the surface to fill that air space with liquid. If you don't, the air will contract under the pressure and close itself off. You won't be able to pee as the hose will be pinched flat.
This is the simplest and most reliable design, but you must remember to pee on the surface.

Balanced valves have an interior duckbill that allows air from the suit to equalize the hose. These do not need to be primed. Every few years, the duckbills need replaced or they will allow seawater to leak into the suit.

Either options works, balanced is easier but requires maintenance.

Balanced is the way to go IMO. Much easier to maintain and keep clean. As Tracy indicated, the ONLY trick to keep in mind is to pee at least once on the surface after connecting everything up. Given how hydrated I stay when diving, that was never an issue for me. It's especially fun to try and pee on your dive buddies while talking to them pre-dive without them realizing it. :rofl3:

After putting the pee valve in my drysuits, my only regret was not doing it sooner. I will NOT dive dry without plumbing.

So what’s my best option on a Seaskin Nova? I’m going to order one this week.

Also, if I decide that dealing with the condom thing is not my cup of tea pro just find myself not needing to pee while diving, can I just leave it disconnected and go back to diapers in case of emergency?

How exactly does it work? Do you have to open a valve while you pee then close it? Does it work at depth when under pressure from the water?

Okay, in my best attempt to not sound stupid... if I have to prime the p-valve before descending, then how do you take the thing off without peeing on yourself? Do you stand over a urinal with the drysuit half off and remove?

Okay, in my best attempt to not sound stupid... if I have to prime the p-valve before descending, then how do you take the thing off without peeing on yourself? Do you stand over a urinal with the drysuit half off and remove?
The whole thing sounds like a big old mess waiting to happen, hence my hesitation.

The whole thing sounds like a big old mess waiting to happen, hence my hesitation.

You learn pretty quickly how to do it without making a mess. I typically have a bottle of the water/white vinegar/hydrogen peroxide mixture I use to clean it available. When I'm ready to take off my drysuit, I'll unplug the hose from the condom cath and make sure to hold the open end of the hose UP! With an unbalanced valve, any remaining urine in the hose will flow out due to gravity. I then pour some of the cleaning solution through. Wait a minute or two and flush with fresh water. That's about it.

It has been awhile since I've looked but there are A LOT of old posts about pee valves here on ScubaBoard. That is how I learned.

I am a believer in P valves. We should all be well hydrated when diving, as dehydration can contribute to dcs, so having a P valve allows you to drink lots of water before diving, with stressing about trying to get a drysuit off to relieve yourself. I have been using one since 2009, have had maybe 2 leaks. Heck, I even have a P valve in my semi-dry wetsuit; never been a fan of marinating in pee-filled wetsuit.

Also, if I decide that dealing with the condom thing is not my cup of tea pro just find myself not needing to pee while diving, can I just leave it disconnected and go back to diapers in case of emergency?

How exactly does it work? Do you have to open a valve while you pee then close it? Does it work at depth when under pressure from the water?

Yes, on a balanced, you just leave it disconnected. There are duckbills to prevent backflow.

On an unbalanced, there is a valve of some sort that you close if you aren't using it. When you are diving with it hooked up, you just leave the valve open.

As with almost everything unknown, you are over thinking it.
You just unplug the hose, a few drops dribble out. There isn't any volume to speak of.

I am a believer in P valves. We should all be well hydrated when diving, as dehydration can contribute to dcs, so having a P valve allows you to drink lots of water before diving, with stressing about trying to get a drysuit off to relieve yourself. I have been using one since 2009, have had maybe 2 leaks. Heck, I even have a P valve in my semi-dry wetsuit; never been a fan of marinating in pee-filled wetsuit.

I have something in all of my wetsuits as well. I don't install an actual valve. I just have a hole poked in the suit with the hose sticking out about an inch. The business end is hooked up the same.
I hate hauling around stank wetsuits.

Back
Top Bottom