Pacific Islands in October/November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Japan

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to do my AOW in October or November. I live in Japan and can manage about 7-9 days off during this time. I am thinking about either Guam or Palau but am getting the sense that typhoons might prove problematic.

What do you suggest? Should I be good to go or should I look to head elsewhere during this time? If elsewhere, then where do you recommend?

Thank you.

Oct/Nov is peak typhoon season for Guam, and they do tend to get more than their share.

Not sure about Palau. Never heard about them having a lot of typhoons. Just for the diving alone, I would go to Palau. You could also consider Okinawa. Water is still pretty warm in November, and typhoon season is past. Well, technically, I think it runs through Oct, but they tend to get most of theirs in May-Aug. Unlike Guam, which is known for some of its worst in Nov/Dec.

Good Luck

Cheers AliKat,

Here's hoping for the best. Haven't had that much personal experience in Okinawa, but get the sense from my Japanese mates that there are better places in the region.

Well, Palau does have better diving. At least 10 years ago, the dive industry there has really exploded, so it may just be another over dove place by know. I lived on Guam from March of 92 to Dec of 94 and Okianwa from Sep of 99 to March of this year. Guam has warmer waters year 'round. Other than that, I think the diving on Okianwa can rival that on Guam easily. If you do an AOW with one of the local dive shops there, I'm sure you can get out the Kerama's for at least one day of diving. There is nothing on Guam that comes close to that.

Ishagaki and Yonaguni also have some grate diving, but to take a class, I think you'd have to speak Japanese. Neither island has a lot in the way of English.

I also hear there are some places in Thailand that can offer some pretty good diving.

If you do take a chance on Guams typhoon, check out Micronesia Dive Association (MDA). I think they have a WEB page.

The tenki man said August was like October for weather and now September is like July - your guess is probably as good as theirs.

And last year the worse months for typhoons was July by all accounts.....

November would be a good time for Thailand methinks - you could even do your cousre on a live aboard like Viking where the courses are free. When TJO gets back from colder climes I am sure he will chip in.....

Well, Guam might argue, they had their big one just before Christmas. Seems like Oki's worst one was in August or September also.

But, you're right, its anyones guess this time of year. I think Okinawa is getting pounded right now aren't they?

through....

I was thinking of the two super typhoons that flattened PSD on Guam last year in July!

Still we've got a long weekend coming and they are predicting a hot, dry one for this side of the country - you don't want to be going to Korea round about now!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom