Packing for Diving Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attached is a picture. I take this on local boats, travel with it, basically, if I'm diving - it's going with me. Regs, lights, computers, tools (for flying, everything but a knife, basically.

It's made by Pelican, is the correct "TSA approved" carry on size, has wheels and a handle... The model is the 1510 I believe. Dividers instead of foam, and the lid organizer is the best thing for tools, spares, etc.

BP/Wing, Fins, Exposure, Reels and Lift Bags go in a checked bag.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410294002.087443.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, it's a good idea to check your dive gear in nondescript luggage, so it won't attract attention. An extra large hockey bag does the trick nicely, because it holds a ton of stuff (enough for 2 people), it's long enough for fins and wetsuits to fit easily, and it has wheels, shoulder straps, and hand straps.

Sometimes we just rent wetsuits at our destination, so we don't have to deal with bulky, wet wetsuits.

I have an old, dirty, scuffed suitcase that I check most of my gear in. The reason I use it is so it doesn't look like anything valuable from the outside. I also pack a few of those heavy duty (I think 4 mil) Home Depot trash bags to put wet stuff in on the return flight.

Regulators & cameras always come with me in the cabin. Sometimes TSA checks them, some time they don't. No apparent pattern that I can see. Knife and shears go in the checked luggage for obvious reasons.

Regulator and computer go with me in carry on back pack. It's a version from Land's End with compartment at the bottom for shoes but is perfect size for regulator.

Fins and BC get packed in a mesh wheeled backpack (along with pool toys for the kids) and is checked in. It's nice to take along because I need it to get all the gear to the boat or dive shop. Accessories like flashlights and clips also go in dive bag.

Wetsuit (if needed) and masks get packed with clothes in regular luggage.

I carry on Regs and Computers.

Most do this. I just check it all. Been lucky so far and I figure any lost bag, gear or clothes, is going to ruin my day no matter what. Now that I have to carry on a CPAP machine it is a moot point anyway as I have little carry on room left.

+1 on the Pelican 1510

Housing, strobes and ports all go in nicely

Most do this. I just check it all. Been lucky so far and I figure any lost bag, gear or clothes, is going to ruin my day no matter what. Now that I have to carry on a CPAP machine it is a moot point anyway as I have little carry on room left.

I have CPAP too, it's medical equipment, so if you don't mind the extra bag, the CPAP machine doesn't count towards your carry-on allotment...

I love when TSA (or international equivalent) see both diving gear and CPAP, they have no idea what to make of the juxtaposition and leaves them scratching their heads... :) :)

---------- Post added September 10th, 2014 at 04:54 PM ----------

+1 on the Pelican 1510

Housing, strobes and ports all go in nicely

You need the lid organizer! The thing is incredible for all misc. save a dive etc.

I have CPAP too, it's medical equipment, so if you don't mind the extra bag, the CPAP machine doesn't count towards your carry-on allotment...

I love when TSA (or international equivalent) see both diving gear and CPAP, they have no idea what to make of the juxtaposition and leaves them scratching their heads... :) :)

---------- Post added September 10th, 2014 at 04:54 PM ----------

You need the lid organizer! The thing is incredible for all misc. save a dive etc.
Has anyone had experience with carryon weight restrictions being enforced concerning lufthanza to the red sea ? I normally have a carryon about 50lbs with a smaller one but on web site lufthanza does not allow anywhere close to this.

Yes - be careful, I have had carry ons weighed and checked with Lufthansa and I am regularly flying to the eastern Med. It seems to depend on what it looks like and how you carry it when you check in. If it look bulky or seems heavy they seem to check, but they do not do it routinely. Phil

I've checked everything on most of my trips with the exception of my P&S camera. I've carried that in my carry on about 50/50. I don't pay for luggage, though, so that factor never plays a role in my decision. I don't like carrying luggage on a plane so I avoid it if at all possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom