Packing, Travel and Diving Tips for the SB Invasion to the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay I will explain again to try and make it clearer
- The camera room has 120V outlets (This is were you will charge a lot of your camera gear)
- Electricity in all rooms is 220V - (most guests will need a converter, not an adapter)

Here's a link as an example of what you need for 2 prong. Samsonite - Converter/Adapter Kit - Red/Black
Here's a link to another model that would work that take 2 and 3 prong. Smooth Trip International Converter/Adapter

*Or you can also just buy this to adapt the 2 Prong converter to 3 prong. Axis 45086 3-Prong to 2-Prong Electrical Adapter, 2pk - Walmart.com

You will not need a special plug strip as long as you have a converter and the 3 prong adapter.*

Hello,
Another option to the converter is one of this Anker USB devices. It does convert from 120V to 220V and the other way around and has 6 fast charge USB ports.

If you, like us have all your devices using USB, this can be really handy.

31Hyh8kxqUL.jpg

Amazon.com: Anker 60W/12A 6-Port USB Charger PowerPort 6 for iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPad Air 2/mini 3, Samsung Galaxy s6/s6 edge, Note 5 and More: Cell Phones & Accessories

Atlantis Resorts' Camera Rooms

Puerto Galera has a spacious 17 square meter, climate controlled Camera Room for comfortable pre-dive housing preparation. The room has 30 individual cubbyholes to store equipment with a work surface that is 70cm deep and a total of over 8m long. There are 3 air guns distributed around the room, 18 power sockets (110 & 220 volts), paper towel dispensers for cleaning O-Rings, a shelf running the length of the work surface for battery chargers and six fluorescent wall lights for additional illumination when checking O-Rings. The room also has 2 internet-ready desktop PC's for guests to view their photos and upload to share on Facebook.

Dumaguete has one of the most spacious Camera Facilities you will find in any dive resort worldwide. There are 21 individual cubbyholes to store equipment, a work surface 80cm deep and a total of nearly 14m long and floor space of over 21 square meters. Five air-guns are positioned around the room, 16 sets of power sockets in both 220 and 110 volts, paper towel dispensers for cleaning O-Rings, a shelf running the length of the work surface for battery chargers and eight fluorescent under-shelf lights for additional illumination for the all important O-Ring check. The room is climate controlled for comfortable working conditions and also has a 42-inch HD flat-screen TV mounted on the wall with both HDMI and USB connections. Guest can now show off their photos and video on the big screen at the end of a days great diving.

Having traveled through Manila a few times the past month, I wanted to mention one thing for all of you. It has to do with an airport scam and your bags, so I'm putting it here for anyone heading on the group trip to be aware.

Please pay careful attention to your bags while waiting for the security process in Manila airport if you fly through or out of there. There is a scam ongoing from time to time that has been happening there which goes like this: Some time between entering the airport and passing through security someone slips a single bullet into your carry-on bag. When you proceed to the x-ray machine the bullet shows up of course. It is a crime in the Philippines to have bullets in airports, and you are then pushed to either pay a lot of money as a fine or go to jail.

Most believe this bullet enters your luggage right before the screening, but it could happen of course any time in the airport. It has happened to both locals and foreigners, and mostly on international flights from what I can tell. Some locals now even use shrink-wrap services for their carry-on, and unwrap it when past security. They also suggest if possible using bags without lots of small pockets or zippers on the outside where a bullet could easily be slipped in. The most important thing is keep a careful watchful eye on your bags from the time you get to the airport until the bag is inside the x-ray machine.

This isn't something to worry about or cancel a trip over by any means. I flew through there 3 times lately and had no issues myself, and millions more don't have problems. But just be aware of it and keep a close watch on your carry-on bags.

Atlantis Resorts' Camera Rooms

Puerto Galera has a spacious 17 square meter, climate controlled Camera Room for comfortable pre-dive housing preparation. The room has 30 individual cubbyholes to store equipment with a work surface that is 70cm deep and a total of over 8m long. There are 3 air guns distributed around the room, 18 power sockets (110 & 220 volts), paper towel dispensers for cleaning O-Rings, a shelf running the length of the work surface for battery chargers and six fluorescent wall lights for additional illumination when checking O-Rings. The room also has 2 internet-ready desktop PC's for guests to view their photos and upload to share on Facebook.

Dumaguete has one of the most spacious Camera Facilities you will find in any dive resort worldwide. There are 21 individual cubbyholes to store equipment, a work surface 80cm deep and a total of nearly 14m long and floor space of over 21 square meters. Five air-guns are positioned around the room, 16 sets of power sockets in both 220 and 110 volts, paper towel dispensers for cleaning O-Rings, a shelf running the length of the work surface for battery chargers and eight fluorescent under-shelf lights for additional illumination for the all important O-Ring check. The room is climate controlled for comfortable working conditions and also has a 42-inch HD flat-screen TV mounted on the wall with both HDMI and USB connections. Guest can now show off their photos and video on the big screen at the end of a days great diving.

The camera room in Dumaguete is fabulous- it is the nicest camera room I've come across in my travels. it is fairly close to the dive shop and restaurant so its very convenient for those between dive battery changes.

Having traveled through Manila a few times the past month, I wanted to mention one thing for all of you. It has to do with an airport scam and your bags, so I'm putting it here for anyone heading on the group trip to be aware.

Please pay careful attention to your bags while waiting for the security process in Manila airport if you fly through or out of there. There is a scam ongoing from time to time that has been happening there which goes like this: Some time between entering the airport and passing through security someone slips a single bullet into your carry-on bag. When you proceed to the x-ray machine the bullet shows up of course. It is a crime in the Philippines to have bullets in airports, and you are then pushed to either pay a lot of money as a fine or go to jail.

Most believe this bullet enters your luggage right before the screening, but it could happen of course any time in the airport. It has happened to both locals and foreigners, and mostly on international flights from what I can tell. Some locals now even use shrink-wrap services for their carry-on, and unwrap it when past security. They also suggest if possible using bags without lots of small pockets or zippers on the outside where a bullet could easily be slipped in. The most important thing is keep a careful watchful eye on your bags from the time you get to the airport until the bag is inside the x-ray machine.

This isn't something to worry about or cancel a trip over by any means. I flew through there 3 times lately and had no issues myself, and millions more don't have problems. But just be aware of it and keep a close watch on your carry-on bags.

A friend of mine from the Philippines also warned me of this practice.

Last edited:
Regarding the Philippines airport restriction of no scuba equipment in carry on, it was unclear if this only meant regs or every piece of dive gear.

Are prescription masks, camera/housings, lenses, strobes, sola lights & dive computers still allowed in carry-on?

Regarding the Philippines airport restriction of no scuba equipment in carry on, it was unclear if this only meant regs or every piece of dive gear.

Are prescription masks, camera/housings, lenses, strobes, sola lights & dive computers still allowed in carry-on?

Taco, I would carry as much of your camera gear on as you can. It's not scuba equipment, it's just a nice protective case :)

Also your SOLA has lithium batteries. Best to take it in carry on, and also to set it up in travel mode, or at least, be 100% sure it's locked so it cannot turn on in flight.

For little things like dive computers, I have a travel vest, and all of our dive computers will fit in the pockets.

The way I look at it is, they don't want scuba in carry on because it's hefty and could be used as a weapon. But, any scuba gear aside from a prescription mask, is easily replaced or rented on site. Camera gear and expensive dive computers...I would be a little more than merely unhappy, to have lost in transit, or delayed...so as much as possible goes with my person, anything else goes in carry on, only backups for the backups, go in checked luggage. And if people ask, none of it is for scuba diving, it's for taking photos in the shower! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom