Padang Bai & Tulamben

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napashock

Registered
Reaction score
hey everyone!

I'm looking into spending a two weeks in Bali and whilst I was there thought I could sneak in a few dives!

Do you think four days in Tulamben then another four in Padang Bai would be long enough to dive most of the best sites or will I be bored after a couple of days?

Also, how long is a diving day in Bali ie what time would I be back at the hotel after two dives? Will I have time to chill out by the pool or go for a wander?

Any advice gratefully received :)
Thanks all
Napa

My advise would be to go dive with Absolute scuba, they are based in Padang Bai and have a really nice place where you could stay, the place has a nice restaurant and swimming pool and its juz right infront of the beach .

They also do day trips to tulemben and can even organize for you to stay over there. check them out at : Bali Diving | PADI Internships Bali | PADI IDC Bali | Diving bali

Thanks for the recommendation Neil, I'll definitely have a look at their site. I've also been in contact with Geko Divers & Tulamen Wreck Divers for info & prices.

My main problem is deciding how long to stay in each place before moving on!

Napa

I think you would probably be better to divide your time with 2-3 days Tulamben/ 5 days Padangbai. There are more dive sites available from Padangbai and also more to get into when not diving, Tulamben is a smaller town and after diving things are slow and quiet. But do stay in Tulamben since this allows you to dive the Liberty wreck before the day trippers get there, which can make it a bit crowded and stir up the silt.

I think your choice of dive shops is good.

I agree with the notion of staying there in one of the local hotels.

The closest hotel is Tauch Terminal (german? for dive station) it's price is a little high for me, but it seemed nice enough.

The next one is Paradise (run down rooms last year, but very functional facilities - also closest to the house reef) They may have updated it, but I would check with dive shops first as their guides tend to stay here when serving customers.

The last, and the one I stayed last year, is Mimpi Tulamben (furthest from the wreck but closest to the drop off and pelagics). I thoroughly enjoyed staying here for the secluded feeling the room gave me. The breakfast was good and the layout of the common area is well planned to allow for a perfect view.

No matter where you stay along the beach I strongly suggest wearing hard sole boots. The beach is all rock and each about the size of your fist... no joke, it is hard on the feet with soft soles.

My experience with this area was for 2 days. I wish I had stayed longer... possibly 4. You may burn out if you enjoy a busier night life, but I enjoy quiet time after a dive for reflecting and conversation. There are local restaurants along "the strip" and I had company, so it wasn't too bad for the nights.

The locals give a good massage, BTW. Just be prepared for a very stimulating rub... those women are not weak.

Some suggestions were given for guides, but of course I have my own opinion. I used Aquamarine and I was happy with every aspect of my trip. In fact I can tell you that they will be handling my next trip which is also my honeymoon.

I
No matter where you stay along the beach I strongly suggest wearing hard sole boots. The beach is all rock and each about the size of your fist... no joke, it is hard on the feet with soft soles.

True,
But don't worry, you don't have to handle your gear; probably a tiny girl with aging slippers will put your tank&BC plus another set of other diver on her head and walking easily behind you.

You can easily do two dives around either Padang Bai or Tulamben and still have time to relax around the pool. If you dive out at Nusa Lembongan/Penida out of Padang Bai, you will find it takes longer as its further to go and usually a bit rougher sea conditions, so you'll get back later. While Gili Tepekong and Gili Mimpang are closer.
Most of the dive sites are boat dives out of Padang Bai, while most are shore dives in and around Tulamben.
I couldn't imagine being bored with the diving around Tulamben. I have been diving there since 1980, and lived there for the last 3 years and still find new dive sites every week with something of interest.
Most divers only think of the Liberty, the Drop Off and The Coral Garden - believe me these are only the begining.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom