Trip Report Padangbai (Bali) Report: Geko Divers August '23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did eat at Absolute for one evening and the food was good.

The food's been good whenever I've gone there to eat, nice view also.

Although for dinner I usually go around the corner to a local warung, forgotten the name, for ikan bakar. BBQ fish, prawn, squid, & lobster maybe. Good prices, if you can speak Bahasa maybe can get cheaper. I think around 100,000rp for a Coral Grouper big enough for 2 people.

The food's been good whenever I've gone there to eat, nice view also.

Although for dinner I usually go around the corner to a local warung, forgotten the name, for ikan bakar. BBQ fish, prawn, squid, & lobster maybe. Good prices, if you can speak Bahasa maybe can get cheaper. I think around 100,000rp for a Coral Grouper big enough for 2 people.

I do speak Indonesian... but I am not a big fan of eating fish lol

I usually go around the corner to a local warung, forgotten the name, for ikan bakar. BBQ fish, prawn, squid, & lobster maybe.
Bu Jero.

Different. Padang Bai is boat diving, awesome macro, access to nearby blue water dive sites (mola2 in season, shark cave, etc...), and easy trips to Nusa Penida.

The next question is always, "Is the macro better than Tulamben?" I do not think that can be answered with a black-or-white yes or no. It's different and very often amazing. The Padang Bai jetty is my favorite dive in all of Bali. I am much happier doing surface intervals drifting in a boat and laying in the sun. Drinking in Omang Omang is always a good time.

All that being said, Tulamben offers tons of positives, too.

The bottom line: if coming to dive Bali, one should for sure spend several days in both locations.
Curious - if you could choose 2 spots on Bali or nearby and spend 7 days between the 2, would you recmmend; Amed, Padang Bai, Nusa Penida or one of Gillis? I just came back from 10 days in Raja Ampat in November and am keen to dive again and Bali is a much easier place to travel to. I've also gone to Manada & the Lembeh Straits and am planning Komodo for 2025. Thanks!

Curious - if you could choose 2 spots on Bali or nearby and spend 7 days between the 2, would you recmmend; Amed, Padang Bai, Nusa Penida or one of Gillis? I
1- If you're a macro fan/photographer : 7 days in Tulamben.
1.1 if excellent guides and budget is your priority : Villa Utama, ask booking privately Ari or Komang Agus
1.2 if excellent guiding for photography and comfort are your absolute priorities : book one year ahead Ajiex Dharma and stay at Tauch Terminal.

2- if black sand dives is not really your stuff and you're expecting coral dives : 3 days in Amed where you would still dive Tulamben one morning for the wreck + 4 days in Padang Bai to go diving Nusa Penida and Gili Mimpang/Tepekong.

3- if you are a bit of everything black sand macro and coral dives : 3 days in Tulamben, 4 days in Padang Bai. In 7 days, no need for NP that you can access from PB, unless you enjoy watching chinese tourists in yellow inflatable jacket riding on banana boats or jumping all over from floating water platforms.

Curious - if you could choose 2 spots on Bali or nearby and spend 7 days between the 2, would you recmmend; Amed, Padang Bai, Nusa Penida or one of Gillis? I just came back from 10 days in Raja Ampat in November and am keen to dive again and Bali is a much easier place to travel to. I've also gone to Manada & the Lembeh Straits and am planning Komodo for 2025. Thanks!
If I had only a week and it was my first time in Bali, I wouldn't split it up and waste a day changing resorts. For a first trip, I would choose Amed or Tulamben. Both have a good mix of shore dive sites, from coral gardens, a few wrecks, walls, and sandy muck. Padang Bai is more open water focused, though there is macro and wall dives too. PB is generally much colder than Amed/Tulamben, with 23-26° the norm vs. 28 for the others. Amed is bigger so has much more restaurants, some music and night life and spas if this is important to you. Tulamben is very small. Amed also has a long sandy beach for relaxing and snorkeling, which Tulamben doesn't have. I enjoy both places but spend more time in Amed, because of the addition topside services and the beach.

In Tulamben, I second the recco for Villa Utama, and add in Wonder Dive just down the road. In Amed, I recommend Dream Divers Bali and staying at Enak Bungalows next door. Both great locally owned business, as is Wonder Dive.

I second Luko. Only thing to add is that Amed requires some transport to get around. You will either need to rent a motorbike or hire someone to get you around on a motorbike or car. Padang Bai and Tulamben are both completely walkable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom