PADI Advanced Open Water: Did you learn anything new?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest that your gopro product will not be as you would like. ot take pictures or video you have to have certain skills. like buoyancy to do it. trying to hover above the coral at 1 foot taking a pic of something 1/2 inch tall is not the same as a panoramic shot of the wall. Wvery one has to know their limitations and be aware. there is no magic day when that happens. just a cople of years on a dive on the oriskini while searching down the structure for something i saw earlier i found my self at over 1.8 ppo2 using 32% upon the flight deck coming into view. None of us ever hit a time when going forward is dome with an assurance we will not do something stupid. Given that we will do something stupid,,, the question is will it be deliberate or accidental and what do yo do about it for future prevention. BTW My first reg went n my mouth 50 years ago. I will never stop making blunders, and because of that i will never stop thinking what cold go wrong.

You work on your skills that are necessary to take video. buoyancy for the #1 and depending on what you are shooting learn to fin so you can back up instead of doing the puss off from the environment. Take all the shots you want if you are say in a drift dive at safe distance. the thing that makes photography is that you have to understand your camera. too much attention to it and you stop multitasking your mind with buoyancy and the rest of the surroundings. not to mention your spg and computer. I would recommend you get close to someone that does do a good job at photo and learn their skills.

Yes awesome reply and sinking toward the deck while on Nitrox 32 yikes ... I can remain nuetral easily now but my tec finning skills are basically zero. Cant yet spin in place or reverse. Have a second set of Hollis F1 fins to learn better finning in. love those as they are heavy and good for that type of movement. Not so much my Tusa fins.

btw I do know that my boyancy control will take a huge hit if i use a gopro thus still waiting on that purchase

CO2 is known to produce feelings of doom and gloom, apparently it's a survival thing: it tries to make you flee the area. Not speaking from personal experience.

Doom, wanting to flee. I think a second diver had that and I know he was finning like a demon the whole AOW course. He blew threw the safety stop after 1 minute and sped up the last 15 and scurried into the zodiac.

IME a combination lock requires remembering the combination and ability to see the digits. That last bit is something I often enough have difficulty with topside, so for me the muscle coordination demonstration is: hold the flashlight in my mouth, the lock in my outstretched hand, and try to reach the dials with the other hand. I can see how doing that underwater in thick gloves might be a tad challenging... but I'm not sure being sober would help that much.
the whole point to the exercise is like doing a drinking test you do it then again after a drink and again after 2 etc. it makes you experience the effect of all of you even though you insist you are uneffected. Its nothing terrible to point out flaws as much as it is to be a reminder that if you do think about going to 130 feet or more for kicks you may not care how much air you have any more. One of our club members took a detour over a wall and down and soon did a mental trip to utopia. another member had to go down after her at 140 ft when they realized she was not functioning as she should be expected to. she remembered none of it ot the air share on the way up.

Yes awesome reply and sinking toward the deck while on Nitrox 32 yikes ... I can remain nuetral easily now but my tec finning skills are basically zero. Cant yet spin in place or reverse. Have a second set of Hollis F1 fins to learn better finning in. love those as they are heavy and good for that type of movement. Not so much my Tusa fins.

btw I do know that my boyancy control will take a huge hit if i use a gopro thus still waiting on that purchase
go ahead and make that purchase. just know your limitations and be aware of the environmentsl risk you could contribute to and you will be fine. dont overload your but and self control takes priority over a shot.

Interesting. My detailed material only goes back to 1994, but I do have a 1991 AOW manual.

I was able to locate my AOW manual - it is dated 1984. Covers off navigation (natural and compass), night and limited visibility diving, search and salvage, and deep diving.

Divegoose

it makes you experience the effect of all of you even though you insist you are uneffected.

I'd never insist I'm unaffected, I just have no recollection of ever being affected. :D

Depth control often takes a hit when using a compass on non flat bottom. we seam to rollercoaster our depth to match the bottom. you lsould be good with the depth by now utilizing pressure changes on your ears to id depth changes. As far as the oriskini dove went i started heading up imediatly and say myself crossing 148 feet and conntinued up to 70 where the top of the ship was and took a few minutes. YOu can debate all the things that could have happened at the time but 150' is NARCed country. only one solution and that is to reduce depth which also takes care of the O2 exposure issues. I did not have to think about what to do. My rule was if something goes south ascend to safer territory. That for me was the line tie off on the ship. I can reeveluate after I recover my senses is any were lost. No m ater what 150 feet was not the place to engage in that thought process.

I'd never insist I'm unaffected, I just have no recollection of ever being affected. :D

Right after my AOW class I took a nitrox class. One of the ladies sitting near me stated she has been on hundreds of dives and never been even slightly narcd. I asked her what her deepest dive was and she said once she got down to 150 feet deep. I asked her why she went that deep she said there were a bunch of sparkly things she saw she wanted to check out.

So I said you went below 130 deep to go after sparkly stuff? Yep she said and I wasnt even slightly narcd I have never been.
I told her the sparkly stuff you were chasing and going down after were due to being narcd. People run off thinking they see things that arent there. See told me nope so I then said what were these sparkles you were chasing. She didnt answer directly just saying it doesnt happen to her.

It became a bit of a strong discussion as I felt people can get into trouble thinking that way and she was obviously seeing things ....She was willing to take it to argument levels so I let it go.

I told her the sparkly stuff you were chasing and going down after were due to being narcd.

:shrug: pix or it didn't happen. Have you actually been there and saw no sparkly things for yourself?

Right after my AOW class I took a nitrox class. One of the ladies sitting near me stated she has been on hundreds of dives and never been even slightly narcd. I asked her what her deepest dive was and she said once she got down to 150 feet deep. I asked her why she went that deep she said there were a bunch of sparkly things she saw she wanted to check out.

So I said you went below 130 deep to go after sparkly stuff? Yep she said and I wasnt even slightly narcd I have never been.
I told her the sparkly stuff you were chasing and going down after were due to being narcd. People run off thinking they see things that arent there. See told me nope so I then said what were these sparkles you were chasing. She didnt answer directly just saying it doesnt happen to her.

It became a bit of a strong discussion as I felt people can get into trouble thinking that way and she was obviously seeing things ....She was willing to take it to argument levels so I let it go.
no matter what you win in that discusion. whether or not she was you realize there is something fishy about it .

Back
Top Bottom