Padi advanced open water /enriched air specialty diver combination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me the real question is (or at least should be), will you learn something worth at least $30 by taking the EAN class?

And the answer is, you certainly should. At the very least, you will be exposed to more information about No Decompression Limits, gas blending, tank analyzing and more table/computer work -- all under the supervision of an instructor. You may, of course, get more than that -- but even if it is just the minimum, it would be a bargain.

Of course, that is just the value of the education itself and not the actual use of enhanced blends. Me, I just dive 32% as a recreational diver -- but then I'm an old guy!

Do the combo...don't do the $275 EAN course...unless it is Advanced Nitrox, then that would be a good deal.

SDI and PADI don't require the dives for the EAN cert, they are optional. If you think about it, it is rather silly to require the dives. You already know how to dive, you're just changing your gas.

I think SDI and PADI msrp for Basic EAN is around $120-$140. That is for the academic and practical aspect. The practical aspect involves analyzing a few tanks and learning how your LDSs Nitrox procedures.

+1 on the dive requirement for nitrox. There really is no need. You need to understand the potential dangers involved in going too deep with nitrox, you need to know how to run the nitrox tables and computations, and you need to know how to analyze your gas and mark it properly on your tank tags. (But if you got to dive and there was no exorbitant charge, and it was at a good location, I'd go dive!)

To me the real question is (or at least should be), will you learn something worth at least $30 by taking the EAN class?

bdqsony,

In your previous post at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/329307-taking-advanced-open-water-soon.html you mentioned that you want to eventually become a DM. If this is the case, you should know about nitrox. A course might be the easiest way to learn. In your case, taking a nitrox class seems like more of a question of when, rather than if.

+1 on the dive requirement for nitrox.

Experience is experience. I agree that to learn about *nitrox* that you don't need to make any dives but any training dive is one more dive with an instructor where you can pick up *something*. No amount of experience is too much.

If someone comes to me for a Nitrox class they're going diving! Under water is the place where I have the most added value to my students.

BTW, I've made quite a few nitrox dives (and technical nitrox dives) and I notice absolutely no difference in how I feel after the dive as compared to air... To wit, I feel completely fine after an air dive too.... I do *believe* people who say that the feel a difference (who am I to doubt them) but clearly it doesn't do it for everyone.

R..

Experience is experience. I agree that to learn about *nitrox* that you don't need to make any dives but any training dive is one more dive with an instructor where you can pick up *something*. No amount of experience is too much.

If someone comes to me for a Nitrox class they're going diving! Under water is the place where I have the most added value to my students.

BTW, I've made quite a few nitrox dives (and technical nitrox dives) and I notice absolutely no difference in how I feel after the dive as compared to air... To wit, I feel completely fine after an air dive too.... I do *believe* people who say that the feel a difference (who am I to doubt them) but clearly it doesn't do it for everyone.

R..

No disagreement there. Just don't see the point of paying a bunch of extra money for it.

And I'm not one to fight about the positive effects of nitrox or lack thereof. Some feel them, others don't. We're all different.

I feel no physical difference diving nitrox - but I do feel a big difference psychologically - the extra NDL safety margin removes a lot of stress. Your mileage may vary.

Well put!

For the OP, sounds like a good deal. It will come in handy at some point for sure.

Wow thanks everyone for explaining on this. I'm gonna call them in bit..

I think SDI and PADI msrp for Basic EAN is around $120-$140. That is for the academic and practical aspect. The practical aspect involves analyzing a few tanks and learning how your LDSs Nitrox procedures.
Yeah, that sounds pretty much like what I paid for the nitrox class last summer.

I was wondering if I should go ahead and take this combo?

I mean Enriched Air course is 275 with 2 dives....

But with this combo is 350 for AOW plus 30= 380 for both...

Can you tell me what's the rough different bottom time between Air & Enriched Air?

I've already signed up for AOW but I'll call about Enriched Air as well if it's worth for that price.

Course Start April 9th... wish me luck :p

To give you a real-life example of the difference between diving with air vs. Nitrox:
Two buddies and myself dove at the 85' Pinnacles on Maui. Two of us used 36% Nitrox and one used air. This is a square profile dive, which means there is no sloping bottom and very few multi-level options.

First dive of the day-we drop down to the anchor at 85'. My buddy with air compares her Suunto computer with my Suunto computer. She has 28 minutes no-deco time, I have 47 minutes no deco time! There you have it:) 25 minutes later she is heading back up to her safety stop while my other buddy and I enjoy an extra 20 minutes of exploration, photography opportunities, and fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom