Padi AOW by default?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No Padi Instructor is going to sign you off for adventure dives which they did not participate in and their are skills that must be performed on each Adventure dive...

Not true, re: the signoff. We make and accept referrals all the time.
/signed/
PADI OW Scuba Instructor

Not true, re: the signoff. We make and accept referrals all the time.
/signed/
PADI OW Scuba Instructor

For open water courses yes. Students have to have completed the academic and classroom portions of the course with one instructor and can do the open water dives with another. The instructor conducting the open water dives is going to be able to evaluate most of the skills that were performed in open water. I do not see the same being applied to AOW however. Correct me if I am wrong.

PADI has a form for AOW that you can download from the pro site. It has spaces for the dives the student does, signed by the instructor. In theory, the 5 dives can be signed off by 5 different instructors. The last one would send in the certification.

PADI has a form for AOW that you can download from the pro site. It has spaces for the dives the student does, signed by the instructor. In theory, the 5 dives can be signed off by 5 different instructors. The last one would send in the certification.
Ah yes, I remember that form now. I just don't quite see how compensation would work, unless a student takes full courses. The last instructor gets the extra cert credit.

Ah yes, I remember that form now. I just don't quite see how compensation would work, unless a student takes full courses. The last instructor gets the extra cert credit.
It's an unusual case, and the compensation is, as always, up to the instructor/operation. No shop/instructor is going to have regular set fees for something this unusual. If you came to me with a form with 4 dives all filled out and signed by an instructor I could verify, I would figure out what I would charge you for one dive and the cost of the AOW card.

It's an unusual case, and the compensation is, as always, up to the instructor/operation. No shop/instructor is going to have regular set fees for something this unusual. If you came to me with a form with 4 dives all filled out and signed by an instructor I could verify, I would figure out what I would charge you for one dive and the cost of the AOW card.
BTW, I have used this form this way. Here in Colorado, we do not have any dive sites deep enough for the deep dive. I have done all the AOW dives except the deep dive, signed the form, and left it to the student to complete the dives on a trip to deeper waters. I got paid by the shop for the dives I conducted. Someone else got paid for the deep dive and the certification.

I have read through this thread and am confused. I would like to get my mom an AOW card for access to a few charters which require it. She's been diving for 40+ years and completed 500+ dives, many of them to depths reaching and exceeding 100 ft. She is always open to new training opportunities, but she doesn't think she'd gain much out of an AOW class with a group of relative beginners. As such, the goal is really just to get a card.

She has taken three PADI specialties, each of which included dives. In theory, this qualifies her for an "adventure diver" card. Based upon what I've read here, she could request this card (how?) and then follow up with a 2-dive "AOW upgrade" class, consisting of a nav and deep dive. Is this accurate?

She did contact a local PADI instructor who offered the option of taking a 5-dive AOW class with different specialties, but she wasn't keen on the options offered. She'd prefer to spend her training time and money on GUE Fundies Part 2, but there's no practical path there to get her a piece of plastic qualifying her to dive to 100 ft. Very frustrating situation. :(

I have read through this thread and am confused. I would like to get my mom an AOW card for access to a few charters which require it. She's been diving for 40+ years and completed 500+ dives, many of them to depths reaching and exceeding 100 ft. She is always open to new training opportunities, but she doesn't think she'd gain much out of an AOW class with a group of relative beginners. As such, the goal is really just to get a card.

She has taken three PADI specialties, each of which included dives. In theory, this qualifies her for an "adventure diver" card. Based upon what I've read here, she could request this card (how?) and then follow up with a 2-dive "AOW upgrade" class, consisting of a nav and deep dive. Is this accurate?

She did contact a local PADI instructor who offered the option of taking a 5-dive AOW class with different specialties, but she wasn't keen on the options offered. She'd prefer to spend her training time and money on GUE Fundies Part 2, but there's no practical path there to get her a piece of plastic qualifying her to dive to 100 ft. Very frustrating situation. :(

Where is she located? (I won't assume San Jose).

Can also use training log book sign offs.

There is what can be done and there is what a given shop/instructor is willing or interested in doing. Not the same thing. She might be able to work out something better with SDI. In my experience they are better at giving credit for cards/certs/classes with other agencies. You just want an AOW card.

Back
Top Bottom