PADI AOW qualified depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So let me get this straight.. I have just become a PADI AOW diver. I dived to 40 metres on my course....

If you did, your instructor broke a major standard and should be reported.

The absolute maximum limit for PADI AOW Deep Adventure Dive is 30m.

So even though i have had quite a few dives beyond 30 metres, my new 'qualified' level is 30m?

The certification of AOW has a recommended maximum depth of 30m. There are no laws forcing you to stay within that maximum depth, although you may have serious issues with health insurance claims, if an incident occured below your qualification depth.

Also...and this is an important concept... you don't know what you don't know.

The purpose of Deep training is to educate you on the increased risks and measures that you will need to dive within a 'narcotic zone' (30-40m) and also increases your awareness of DCI...along with more work on ascent procedures, emergency air supplies, gas planning, air consumption etc.

If you have that training, you have the capacity to make an informed risk assessment about your personal depth limit.

Without that training, you are just assuming that you will be okay and that nothing bad can happen to you.

Unless you previous experience on sub-30m dives has exposed you to the problems that can arise - then you have neither the training nor experience to understand those risks.

Doing dives outside of your limitations doesn't increase your capability... but it can convince you that your capability is greater than it actually is.

After all, if nothing goes wrong...what do you learn? You just convince yourself that 50m depth is like 40m is like 30m is like 20m is like 10m..............

Appropriate training should prepare you for the worst case situation.

Diving without training only leaves you prepared for the best case situation.

So.. in order to dive below 30m 'legitimately' in PADI's eyes, i have to undertake the Deep Specialty - that may only take me to say 35 metres to complete the course?

Is it about going deep....or is it about training to go deep?

As for legitimacy...well, on completion of your OW course you signed the statement of agreement of safe diving practices.
Remember this?
STANDARD SAFE DIVING PRACTICES STATEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING
1. Maintain good mental and physical fitness for diving. Avoid being under the influence of alcohol or dangerous drugs when diving. Keep proficient in diving skills, striving to increase them through continuing education and reviewing them in controlled conditions after a period of diving inactivity, and refer to my course materials to stay current and refresh myself on important information.
2. Be familiar with my dive sites. If not, obtain a formal diving orientation from a knowledgeable, local source. If diving conditions are worse than those in which I am experienced, postpone diving or select an alternate site with better conditions. Engage only in diving activities consistent with my training and experience. Do not engage in cave or technical diving unless specifically trained to do so.
4. Listen carefully to dive briefi ngs and directions and respect the advice of those supervising my diving activities. Recognize that additional training is recommended for participation in specialty diving activities, in other geographic areas and after periods of inactivity that exceed six months.
Why is it that i can become a rescue dive - DM or instructor without taking this specialty if it is so important?

Because, as a rescue diver or instructor, you need not venture below 30m.

Simple really.... :D

I am a little confused about this, and i can see myself getting a tad angry if i was refused a dive based on my current certification.

Well, there are several ways to consider your statement...

1. You are a hypocrite, because you agreed to those limitations when you were certified.

2. You are an idiot, because you forgot that you agreed to those limitations...and the training that explained them to you, when you were certified.

3. You are arrogant, because you feel you know better than the scuba industry, who base their recommendations and limitations on statistical data (accident/fatality reports) and medical opinion (DAN) and huge experience in order to keep your diving within reasonable safety parameters.

4. You are a fool, because you assume you are immune from having a diving accident that you couldn't cope with (just like all the people who die underwater).

Take your pick..... :wink:

Last edited:
Is the air thin up there on your high horse?

Ready to come back down?

Ok.. well i think it's ridiculous to think i could have learnt what i did at 40 metres in 30 metres of water. The difference in that 10 metres was huge and much more respect was put on the way we prepared for that dive. Reporting my instructor to PADI for teaching us more than what is outlined by PADI will NEVER happen.

With regard to your big spiel on assuming you are ok - informed risk assesment blah blah, you are mentioning points that are NOT only unique to deep diving!! These are points that should be taken into consideration on every dive.. DCI, gas management etc etc.. These are things i sought out and learned straight after OW as i felt they are important to every dive regardless of depth.

Your comment on a rescue diver and instructor not needing to go below 30 metres is laughable!!!!!! What, so no accidents/incidents happen below 30 metres?? When i reach rescue diver, be sure that i will know as much as i can about having to go beyond rec limits to save someone! Instructor.... what happens when a poor unsuspecting new diver comes to me and says they'd like to take a course on deep diving specialty.. My response will be 'sorry i have only learnt to dive to 30m'????? Get a grip!!! The person will immediately lose all confidence in their instructor - and rightly so.

To your last statement.. consider my statement how you like. After your last post, your opinion does not really hold much weight anyways.

When I took my Advanced class in the 90's the depth then was 130 ft - 40m was regularly used as nothing said you could not dive to such a depth but 100ft - 30m was recomended! Now its been cut bact to 100 ft - 30m max which to my mind is OK! This is another selling point for Padi!

Another <50 dive know-it-all?

You seem to fit the classic profile of someone who does the training, gains a few extra dives after entery level training... and then feels sufficiently qualified to disagree with the training you just recieved.

1. Your instructor broke a mandatory standard with PADI. If he breaks that, then surely you must question what other standards he broke? Exceeding maximum depths is not 'over-training'... it is sloppy diving. At instructor level...having the ability to plan a dive..and dive within that plan is expected. Your instructor would know he broke the rules...and understand why he shouldn't do that....even if you don't.
With regard to your big spiel on assuming you are ok - informed risk assesment blah blah,
2. It made me smile to see that you feel you are sufficiently trained and knowledgable to disregard the need for deep dive training. It must be wonderful to reach a pinnacle in your diving, where you have nothing left to learn.....

DCI, gas management etc etc.. These are things i sought out and learned straight after OW as i felt they are important to every dive regardless of depth.
Yes, they are. But, there are different levels of knowledge. Trust me... I could teach this to tech standard to open water divers... but they wouldn't benefit from it. Introduction of knowledge progressively, as the student gains experience allows it to be assimilated and understood.

As I said... you don't know, what you don't know.

4. As a dive professional (rather than an assuming entry-level diver) I know many dive pros that have relatively little deep diving experience. Last month I took a customer (IDC Staff Instructor) to a wreck at 36m. It was his deepest ever dive. As a full-time dive pro, he spends most of his time teaching OW course (18m) and AOW courses (1 dive at 30m). So busy working...very little time doing dives for his own personal benefit. That's a common situation in the industry. One of the reasons I enjoy teaching tech...is because it allows me to work/dive at a level that holds personal interest to me.

what happens when a poor unsuspecting new diver comes to me and says they'd like to take a course on deep diving specialty.. My response will be 'sorry i have only learnt to dive to 30m'????? Get a grip!!!
5. Your answer would be "sorry I am not qualified/certified to teach the Deep Speciality Course". It requires a separate certification to teach this. It is beyond OWSI status you get from an IDC. To get the certification, you need to provide proof of experience or take a specific training course with a Course Director (instructor trainer). Happy to clarify any other un-informed assumptions you may have about being a dive pro... just ask :D

When i reach rescue diver, be sure that i will know as much as i can about having to go beyond rec limits to save someone!
6. So, you would risk becoming a casualty yourself in order to attempt to save another?

Obviously, the rescue course would do you a lot of good... if you have the humility to listen to what you are taught on it.

Your comment on a rescue diver and instructor not needing to go below 30 metres is laughable!!!!!!
7. As you are neither a rescue diver nor instructor... I find it quite surprising that you would care to insult me on issues concerning diving at that level. Maybe you have something to learn from someone who is? Likewise, I strongly expect that you have never conducted a real scuba rescue either. Maybe you have something to learn from someone who has?

To your last statement.. consider my statement how you like. After your last post, your opinion does not really hold much weight anyways.
In my mind, anyone who signs a contract (Statement of Safe Diving Practices) and then acts otherwise is a liar. If I was your OW instructor, I would be ashamed of your attitude. Having said that... your instructor's poor role modelling obviously taught you that recommendations and standards are something that can clearly be ignored. As such, the blame for your dangerous views lies at his feet.

I would strongly suggest that you do consider learned opinions other than your own.... because your attitude does not hint at being a safe, conservative and progressive diver.

I mean that in all sincerity.

I don't really want to argue these points with you any further, because I notice that when someone makes up their mind about something, then there is little I can do to change that via the internet. I would recommend discussing these issues face-to-face with a real scuba instructor... and preferably not with your previous instructor...just so that you can get a second-opinion.

Good luck with your future diving. For your own safety, please do pause for just a moment and consider whether you really do know better.....

Last edited:
You seem to fit the classic profile of someone who does the training, gains a few extra dives after entery level training... and then feels sufficiently qualified to disagree with the training you just recieved.

You seem to be one of these people, that follow a rule book, chasing down anyone that takes a slightly different path than stated, but completely lacks the logic to get through life tactfully or with the open mind that your opinion isn't always right. But, seeing as you are an instructor, i will kneel down before you and hold my tongue.. pfft

I NEVER said that i disagreed with my training, did i? I questioned why i was restricted to 30m. Now if this was SO clear cut, why would i have tagged my question on the bottom of someones elses thread which is asking the same thing? The reason this seems stupid to me, is that you can continue your diving education to the point of taking other divers on dives, but have no training below 30 metres.. That scares me. I would not want to be assisted by a DM, or instructed by an instructor that has not had that experience. I think it is a hole in the training system, that is there just for the sake of making a few extra hundred dollars out of people.

As a whole, i appreciate the system very much. It has enabled me to begin my career in diving and is something that i will never become complacent about. But, not having a more comprehensive schedule in the advanced open water and doing away with the specialty is silly.

You seem to be out to make yourself sound impressive Devon Diver, and let me assure you, you have. So i wont continue to buy into this debate with you. I know i am inexperiemced in the grand scheme of things, i will always continue to learn. Just like you need to perfect your back kick so you can stop silting up the wrecks for everyone, i will perfect my diving in every facet. But let me assure you that with your attitude, you are going to turn most people off from accepting your advice, because you want to ram it down peoples necks. As you say, you don't know what you don't know, so let me help YOU by saying that you have come across in this thread like an idiot.

Firstly, please realize this is a debate, not a personal arguement. Spending 45 minutes of my time (after spending all day diving and teaching...and still not eaten lunch at 8pm) isn't for my benefit. I am trying to help....

You seem to be one of these people, that follow a rule book, chasing down anyone that takes a slightly different path than stated, but completely lacks the logic to get through life tactfully or with the open mind that your opinion isn't always right.

Yes and no. The 'rule book' does a job of keeping divers safe. After all, those rules are based on real fatality reports.. and serve to keep divers within a conservative model and to increase their training and experience progressively.

Many of the senseless and avoidable deaths in recreational scuba stem from a disregard of this 'rule book'.

If you study the 'Standard of Safe Diving Practices' you can clearly identify how many accidents (have a look at the D.A.N. and BSAC annual reports) could have been avoided.

Break the 'rules' and, statistically, you are more likely to become one of those needless scuba deaths that happen every week somewhere around the world.

Deep diving kills people. Penetration/Overhead diving kills people. Concealing medical issues kills people. etc etc

Start allowing yourself to get tempted into this way of diving...and someday it can happen to you. Of course, nobody ever believes they could be the person who ends up dead....

As you gain more experience...have more near misses...see more people lose out to Darwin's Law..... it teaches you to respect the dangers.

Otherwise, surely, with my experience... I should be amongst the most cocky, risk-taking divers. There is a reason I am not.

From my experience, the most complacent (dangerous) divers tend to be at AOW level. Why? Because they have sufficient experience to feel comfortable in the water, but insufficient experience (to respect the dangers) and insufficient education (the rescue diver course should be a real eye-opener).

The next dangerous level is DM Trainees... because they get another ego/confidence boost.. but the majority of them still don't have any real experience to quantify that.

The diving system tends to have some 'levels' that develop confidence faster than ability. AOW and DMT are the worst.

But, seeing as you are an instructor, i will kneel down before you and hold my tongue.. pfft

My status/qualification has little to do with it. However, if I wanted information, guidance and advice about a subject that I was inexperienced in.... and I was talking to someone with 16 years experience in that subject, who lived in that work, day-in, day-out.... then I would certainly find some value in listening to them... even if I didn't understand or agree with those points at the time.

I NEVER said that i disagreed with my training, did i? I questioned why i was restricted to 30m.

Depth is a very subjective issue. It is easy to get drawn deeper and deeper. Why stop at 30m? I feel fine at 40m. So why stop at 40m..... it's just a small drop down to 45m.... Hmmm...here I am at 45m and I have no problems. Next dive, maybe I will go to 50m?

30m is a nice cut-off. I enables most of the diving you would want to do, without any common/serious issues of narcosis impairment. It is possible to CESA from 30m (40m is an extra 30secs-1 min ascent). 30m has a reasonable NDL and you consume less air. 40m is considerably easier to accidentally go into deco... whilst also finding yourself low on air... a bad situation.

Now if this was SO clear cut, why would i have tagged my question on the bottom of someones elses thread which is asking the same thing? The reason this seems stupid to me, is that you can continue your diving education to the point of taking other divers on dives, but have no training below 30 metres.. That scares me.

A lot of people have no interest in depth, for depth's sake.

If everyone was focused on exceeding depth limitations, why do tech divers represent only (approx) 1% of the diving population?

I would not want to be assisted by a DM, or instructed by an instructor that has not had that experience. I think it is a hole in the training system, that is there just for the sake of making a few extra hundred dollars out of people.

Where would you draw the line?

Why only instructors who have dived to 40m? Why not just limit yourself to tech instructors?

I don't know how you envisage the Deep Course.... but all I can say is that my course does benefit divers greatly...especially those with an interest in eventual progression to tech diving. Not every instructor trains the same though.

And really... it isn't a waste of money. There are more issues to consider at 40m than there are at 30m. It may feel the same (as it does at 50 or 60m), but the risks are higher. Being prepared for those risks makes you safer.

of course...you can self-educate yourself on those issues. But how do you know if you are doing it right? How do you know if you have covered every eventuality? What if you have a knowledge/skill gap?

Self-education and learning from progressive experience is fine... but it is a process of trial-and-error. The troubles is...every now and then... those errors kill divers.

..but that's okay if it saves you a couple hundred bucks..... :wink:

As a whole, i appreciate the system very much. It has enabled me to begin my career in diving and is something that i will never become complacent about. But, not having a more comprehensive schedule in the advanced open water and doing away with the specialty is silly.

It's a progressive, modular, system. It works well if you approach it that way.

You seem to be out to make yourself sound impressive Devon Diver, and let me assure you, you have. So i wont continue to buy into this debate with you. I know i am inexperiemced in the grand scheme of things, i will always continue to learn.

Please rest assured, I don't come to the forum to try and sound impressive. I teach divers every day of my life... so I don't need to get an online ego trip and don't feel I have anything to 'prove'.

However, when I was taught to teach (in the military) it was always stressed that you should explain your experience, so that people understand the credibility of your teaching. I can state my opinions... or I can state my opinions and the basis for having them.

The basis for my opinions in my debate with you are:
1. I am a full-time dive professional (I teach many OW, AOW and Deep courses).
2. I manage a PADI 5* IDC Center (validates my understanding of the PADI system and reason behind their recommendations).
3 I am also a certified instructor with BSAC, SSI and DSAT (tech), so I have a wider understanding of diving tuition than just the PADI system.
4. I have conducted real-life rescues and I teach rescue divers regularly (validates my opinions on safety/rescue issues).
5. I am a tech instructor (validates a broader knowledge base than basic recreational diving on issues of depth).
6. I have logged over 4000 dives, many of them deep/deco dives (validates the fact that I have had the opportunity to encounter and resolve numerous problems and dangers).

That's not showing off... it's just a statement of fact. Neither is it a form of pising contest...what would I have to gain from that, other than looking like a dick?

Just like you need to perfect your back kick so you can stop silting up the wrecks for everyone, i will perfect my diving in every facet.

Very true. I believe there is no end to perfection. I dive wrecks every day (so nice to work in Subic Bay!) and I don't kick up silt when leading recreational divers...those people don't go into areas that are very hazardous..... but, I also conduct 'technical' penetrations in heavily silted, deep wrecks... and silting could kill me. I don't stop practising skills that keep me alive.

But let me assure you that with your attitude, you are going to turn most people off from accepting your advice, because you want to ram it down peoples necks. As you say, you don't know what you don't know, so let me help YOU by saying that you have come across in this thread like an idiot.

I think you misinterpreted my intentions. I don't want to belittle you. Every diver, regardless of experience was a newbie once. However, to state the basis for my opinions can be misunderstood... it is not a comparison of you vs. me. It is just so that you can understand the experience and training that lead me to those opinions...and that fact that there is a concrete, proven reason for having those beliefs.

It's not worth getting into this debate because one side does not appear to be listening.

However, I am interested to learn what gas management protocols the OP learned and practiced for his deep dives.

Well, this has sparked some controversy...

It does seem to be that the AOW course only qualifies you to 30m in PADI's eyes and back to the original point of the query, I'm guessing most insurance companies will only insure you to the limit of your qualification (or less).

As for gas management on my course, it really boiled down to "you'll use more air the deeper you go so check your SPG more often".

As for why to go below 30m, it's the same reason most people want to go deeper - to see something cool (commonly wrecks).

In terms of insurance...there was a news item a few years ago about a British woman that was diving in the Red Sea. She had an unattributable case of DCI (i.e. she did nothing wrong to 'provoke' getting bent) and was treated at a recompression chamber in Egypt. She was AOW qualified.

The recompression chamber used her dive computer to assess her dive profile when providing her treatement. That information, along with the rest of her medical information went to her insurance company when the claim for treatment costs was filed.

The insurance company noted that her dive profile included a maximum depth of 32m. Although the depth she reached had no direct implication in her DCI. They used this as a means to refuse the claim for her medical treatment.

Her treatment costs had to be paid directly before she was allowed to leave Egypt and they amounted to over £50,000.

Divers should have a valid reason to go deeper. There should be a goal to the dive other than just 'breaking a personal record' etc. In some locations, a sparsity of attractions may mean that you would seek deep dive training sooner rather than later. It all depends on the location and your interests.

In the UK and here in Subic, we have an abundance of shallow wrecks. You can do many years of amazing wreck diving in shallower waters before you need to extend your certification to visit the deeper ones.

Likewise, in tropical (coral reef) destinations, the majority of marine life exists in the shallower waters. Deeper waters tend to be plain and barren. The only reason to venture deeper would be to see specific creatures of interest (like the thresher cleaning stations in Malapascua etc).

In other locations, a lack of shallow wrecks... or gennerally deeper waters, means that local divers need to dive deeper to reach the popular/available sites.

Gas management, taught correctly, should involve the calculation of normal and elevated Surface Air Consumption (SAC), coupled with the calculations to determine your available gas and your predicted consumption rate for any given (planned) depth. Thus you can determine your air requirements for the dive and/or predict whether your existing air supply is sufficient for the dive you desire to understake...along with contingency planning for air supply and demand in an emergency.

... As for gas management on my course, it really boiled down to "you'll use more air the deeper you go so check your SPG more often".

In that case, and assuming you intend to continue diving deeper than 30 metres, I would suggest you contact one of several excellent UK-based technical instructors -- PM me an email address -- and think seriously about taking the correct training for this type of dive. Gas management, as you may suspect, is more than glancing more often at an SPG.

Back
Top Bottom