PADI classroom anxiety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a classroom hint...

Have you noticed that the questions at the end of each sub-section are very similar to the knowledge review questions? I wonder if the quiz questions will be similar to the knowledge review questions? I wonder if the final exam questions will be similar to the quiz questions?

Also, most adults will miss questions because they read into the question too much or they will imagine other factors that are not stated in the question. Read the question and only the question, and choose the best answer. Don't create any new scenarios or what ifs, just select the best answer for the question stated.

If I am reading OP correctly, it isn't the test that his wife is worried about, it is being "called on" in class. There is really none of that at all. You are doing that part of the learning on your own. At the beginning of class, we went over the assigned quizzes at the end of each chapter in the book. The instructor reads off the letter of the correct answers and, if there are no questions, that's it. We also did some calculations with the tables, and volunteers answered. This part of the class does not last long.
Most of your classroom time is actually spent hands-on, becoming familiar with the equipment.

Any good stories about what you liked about the classroom portion would be nice as well.

The best part about the tests/classroom portion is that everything you need to know is in the review questions in the OW manual. If you understand those concepts, you'll do fine. If you are having trouble with any of those concepts any decent instructor will be able to help you out.

The purpose of the classroom and tests are not to "grill" students to discover if you don't understand the material, but rather to ensure that the student DOES understand the material. There's no adversarial aspect to it.

I just took the course about a month ago. The instructor was great and told stories of their dives to help put the class at ease. I found out by doing the quizes in the book and highlighting the answers that gave me the info I needed for the quizes and the test. Just take time on test as one word can change the meaning of the question. Dont worry you both will do great!!

I am not sure this will help or not, but my niece at 12 aced the same tests that the adults took. The key is to pay attention to what the book says, what the instructor tells you, and not just asume you know the material. That is a "guy" problem more so than something that effects women, ie many times guys won't pay attention to instruction cause we think we are macho and know it already.

Anyway, the tests are pretty easy, the classroom is set up more as an environment for having fun while you learn. None of it is rocket science. 3rd graders probably have harder tests than OW scuba does...

We have both been out of school for a while and she has some minor test anxiety, so the thought of being "grilled" about all the info in the study book in a room of strangers has her worried. I assured her that is not how the class is set up and as long as she does the prep work for the class she will be fine.
Good advice.
Did you feel prepared for your classroom sessions?
I read the manual ahead of time, twice. I did the knowledge reviews before class. I felt prepared in the class, and it was fun.
Did you have any anxieties about being in a classroom environment?
No. It was more a seminar than a classroom.
What did the instructor do to make you more at ease?
The PADI approach is to make the process enjoyable. Most PADI instructors I know are serious about making certain the students learn the necessary material. BUT, they are also serious about making the classroom an enjoyable part of the experience. The goal is to positively reinforce student diver accomplishments, and help students go back over material they may not have understood, until it is mastered. It is criterion-referenced - you work at it until you 'get it'.

Thanks for all the great info.

To clarify my original post, she is reading and highlighting and filling in the quizzes as recommended. She is wicked smart and has a good grasp of the material, which is good for me since I will be her main dive buddy :). She is just nervous about the classroom.

I am sure she will be relieved to hear what you have had to say. Knowing what to expect will help.

Thanks again and keep the good stories coming.

I would say the OW tests are about as challenging as a test at the DMV. Most everyone can pass those if they spend time reading the material.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom