Info PADI converts to eCards 10 Jan 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What happens to the eCard if PADI bankcruped? Server down - every eCard lost?

I do not want a e-card that is iffy if you can even use it at your dive destination. We should have a choice over which type of card we would prefer.
Why would it be iffy? Granted, I'm not 100% familiar with the PADI application, but I see no negatives with the SSI app. I can show the card in the app, or if anticipating, I will be out of network service, I can simply download them to my device. While, I agree, a choice would be nice, I think we're moving more toward e versions than the other way around.

I rarely get asked for my certs, but did get carded last month. My physical cards were not on me at the time, but my phone was. Made it simple.
I am very frustrated over this. I just applied for my Master Diver Card. I was charged 75.00 for the application which there are no dives or e-learning involved just paperwork. This does come with the e-card and if I prefer a physical card they want another 53.00. This is Not right.
No argument there. PADI Master Diver does seem to just be an extra card for an extra fee. By contrast, I have Master Diver through SSI. It was provided for no additional cost after completing the required specialties.

When you get a certification the price of the ecard is included in the cost of the coarse. They just want to give you your certification card through an e-card for 53.00 rather than have to go through the trouble of mailing out a physical card. I do not want a e-card that is iffy if you can even use it at your dive destination. We should have a choice over which type of card we would prefer.
I am very frustrated over this. I just applied for my Master Diver Card. I was charged 75.00 for the application which there are no dives or e-learning involved just paperwork. This does come with the e-card and if I prefer a physical card they want another 53.00. This is Not right.
For God’s sake, just do a screen shot of the e-card. Print it out if you have to have something physical.

What happens to the eCard if PADI bankcruped? Server down - every eCard lost?
Really same risk today. Depending on implementation of the app. As said, I'm not using the PADI app, so it's possible that they didn't implement it to allow for many different contingencies.

If PADI was bankrupt, which I see as unlikely, it could cause an issue, but it's also possible that another agency will step in. When YMCA got out of the game, another agency stepped in, and even offered issuing certs under that agency for YMCA card holders for a limited time.

Server down should not affect things if implemented properly. The app should store a local copy. As an experiment, I just put my phone in airplane mode, launched my SSI app and checked to see if I could access my certs. I could. No big deal. I'd previously done a similar experiment with the FWC app for my fishing licenses. Once sync'd, a local copy is stored on the device, so if I'm out of network coverage, I can still pull up my licenses.

The benefit I see is that with ecards, there's probably a greater chance that you'll have it with you. I leave home without my Scuba certs or fishing licenses all the time. It's more rare that I don't have my phone on me.

@Belzelbub ,however you don’t know if your card expires in the app, it may show now when offline but it’s maybe fetching a certificate behind the scenes and won’t display it when it expires (I am a dev and would implement it like this if I had to)

I would suggest you email yourself a screenshot of every cert you have, it’s not much proof but likely to be accepted in many places

That e-card is not free they charge you for it in the coarse price through your dive shop
You are welcome to reject it and say you refuse to pay for it. :wink:
It may not be "Free" but it is without additional cost to you.

See this - http://apps.padi.com/padi/lookup/lookup/StudentLookupView/

1690393975684.png

Then screenshot it.

Also discussed here:

You will be able to see your certifications. Screen shot them and cancel Paying Another Dollar In to their grasping maw.

@Belzelbub ,however you don’t know if your card expires in the app, it may show now when offline but it’s maybe fetching a certificate behind the scenes and won’t display it when it expires (I am a dev and would implement it like this if I had to)

I would suggest you email yourself a screenshot of every cert you have, it’s not much proof but likely to be accepted in many places
Why would it expire, though? My diving certs don't expire. I do also have a React Right (EFR, AED, O2) cert in the app. That one does have an expiration and it's listed right on the back of the card.

The rest don't have an expiration date listed, so shouldn't expire in the app. My oldest cert in the app dates back to 2003. Technically that cert is listed twice. One just states that it exists, but it's too old. The other has all the original info, but was added manually by my LDS a few years back.

No need to email them. I can save them to my iCloud files if I want. However, I think the odds of the certs (apart from React Right) expiring and not being available in the app is pretty remote.

No need to email them. I can save them to my iCloud files if I want.

And what if iCloud burns down too??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom