PADI Divemaster insurance costs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The LDS where I HOPE to be certified as a DM soon doesn't pay the PADI yearly fee nor the insurance. But the owner said a DM gets $200 for assisting in an OW class. This isn't much, but it would cover gas and a little bit more, and a couple of classes would more than cover the fees. Plus a discount on gear, service, free air, and sometimes free charters if you assist. Not much money. But enough, if DMing will be something I'll enjoy doing, which I think will be the case. However, I am amazed that anyone would do it for free. I enjoyed my 19 year career teaching Band very much, but I wouldn't have done all that work for FREE....

If he pays the DM $200. for assisting in a ow class ,what does he pay the instructor? You have alot of instructors here that do not get that much...here instructors get paid on a hourly basis or if a private class a 40% take on the tuition.We do not pay the dms here,but encourage students to leave a gratuity for them,along with discounts and such on gear needs.Store places them on store group policy insurance.

@TMHeimer, in Canada you can use Hub International Barton, and fees for DM insurance are currently $205 for a year.

I'm not sure about the Instructors' pay, but I believe it's in the $4-500 range. Keep in mind we are basically the only shop in the entire province and every weekend from April- early Dec. there is an OW class, usually 5-10 students, as well as some night classes spread over 3 weeks. Plus obviously other classes like AOW, Rescue, the usuals. There are maybe 6 or more instructors on staff and a few DMs. Think there are more instructors than DMs. I believe the insurance we will get (through the shop, I think) is $180 a year.

I dive both PADI and SSI, crossed over from PADI to SSI. Each agency has its drawbacks. To teach under SSI you must be attached to a SSI shop, with PADI I'm a contractor and can teach out of my backyard if I want (and did so to teach my nephew to dive), but PADI does tend to nickle and dime you to death. I part time at two shops, one is a largish chain and the other is a mom and pop. The chain is PADI and pumps through alot of OW students the mom and pop is SSI and sees alot fewer clients but spends more time on each student. I think I produce quality divers under either system, because, the quality of the diver depends on the quality of instruction and I CARE ABOUT MY STUDENTS !! Many of my students have become friends and regular dive buddies. I'm lucky that the larger chain agrees to cover 50% of my insurance cost and has a large unbrella policy that im a part of.

As to supporting your LDS by using the equipment they sell. Both the shops I part time with require me to dive with equipment they sell ( the only exception is my wetsuit which due to my size is custom, Before you think I'm fat, I'm 6'1" 225 played dline at USC and work out every day it ain't fat on these shoulders baby. I dive Atomic ,when I have a choice, the mom and pop sell atomic and I bought mine there, the chain does not sell atomic so I bought a Aqualung Legend as a backup for when I'm diving with the chain. As a small business man I understand the shops desire for me to dive with gear they sell, OW students look to the instructor to determine what they are going to buy and the shops make more money selling gear then selling instruction.

Bottom line instructors should have a backup reg, it is embarrassing and frustrating to get to a dive site and have to cancel the students day because the instructors gear fails. So I carry both regs to every dive along with spare weights, o-rings, hoses and repair gear in case a student has a problem. Like a good scout DM's, instructors, etc... should always be prepared. Yeah it is a hassle to bring that extra tank but the first time a student forgets theirs on a shore dive and you can save the day it'll be worth it. :D

By the way Attorney's make lousy students and just pollute the ocean , i kinda wish the sharks would do a better job cleaning up their environment. :eyebrow:

---------- Post Merged at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:29 AM ----------

The LDS where I HOPE to be certified as a DM soon doesn't pay the PADI yearly fee nor the insurance. But the owner said a DM gets $200 for assisting in an OW class. This isn't much, but it would cover gas and a little bit more, and a couple of classes would more than cover the fees. Plus a discount on gear, service, free air, and sometimes free charters if you assist. Not much money. But enough, if DMing will be something I'll enjoy doing, which I think will be the case. However, I am amazed that anyone would do it for free. I enjoyed my 19 year career teaching Band very much, but I wouldn't have done all that work for FREE....

Paying for gas is crazy. Every shop I've ever worked for or heard of provides free gas to instructors and DM's when they are working. My experience is DM's barely get minimum wage, instructors get the bulk of the pay, I've even gotten tips from Instructors when I'm DMing although it is rare as most of us instructors are cheap tight wad bastards. But if your cute I'll buy the beer !!

If he pays the DM $200. for assisting in a ow class ,what does he pay the instructor? You have alot of instructors here that do not get that much...here instructors get paid on a hourly basis or if a private class a 40% take on the tuition.We do not pay the dms here,but encourage students to leave a gratuity for them,along with discounts and such on gear needs.Store places them on store group policy insurance.

DM OW class pay went up to $300 recently. The shop provides a van or truck for classes with gas included. I usually drive my own van for ease in gearing up, and I live 50 mls. from the shop, so I guess paying my for my own gas is realistic.

I am soon to finish my DM and i need insurrance i am told. can i just get the 55$ family thing from dan for my wife and i if i am to lead waiver tours and i am not to assist in classes?

I’ll assume PADI because that is in the title of the thread. To remain a DM, my understanding is you simply need to renew your membership each year. BUT, your status will be something like: “not authorized to conduct PADI programs”. To conduct programs you will need professional liability insurance. Other certifying agencies might vary.

DAN does have a $55 family plan in the US, but that is not liability insurance, nor is it even really insurance. It is DAN membership which includes TravelAssist, but nothing else resembling insurance.
DAN accident insurance is added cost beyond membership. That is secondary personal medical/accident insurance, still not professional liability insurance.

Professional liability insurance is offered by others, such as Vicencia and Buckley.

Since you live in the BVI, perhaps none of the above applies to you.
I understand some DAN offices do offer liability insurance. In the BVI, you probably fall under the DAN Worldwide office. I don’t know what they offer, but you can check out: Welcome To DAN WORLD

It might be best to ask your questions of whoever you will be working for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom