PADI Divemaster without Advanced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And, it can be done concurrently with OW.

Why yes, Lthough that is not my recommendation.

You should just take the course, instead of the “sample” course.

AOW is the course, it is actually required by some operations to make certain dives, a random specialty is not.

There is something to be said for practicality.

Why are people, that mostly live near cold water diving, so adamant about experience in all the different conditions, including wearing a Drysuit, gloves, hood, etc for every DM or Instructor?? Is it jealousy that they can't dive year-round in warm waters?

Because some of us bring our drysuits even.to warm destinations because we like them. A DM should have some familiarity with them.

What happens when VIS drops in those tropics, it does happen sometimes. If you tell me your canceling the dive that I'm paying a lot for with travel cost etc because your DM doesn't have the necessary experience I'm going to be very mad.

You need AOW to become a divemaster in the manual. But if you cross-organization and they are not so strict it could be a loophole but that apply to everything.

The more I've learned about "Advanced" in this thread, the less impressed I am with the "course". Seems more like a showcase of potential "specialities".

The English language certainly takes a battering from that marketing use of the word "advanced".

The more I've learned about "Advanced" in this thread, the less impressed I am with the "course". Seems more like a showcase of potential "specialities".

The English language certainly takes a battering from that marketing use of the word "advanced".
Are you seriously not reading any of the responses in this thread?

As has been said repeatedly, the "advanced" course was indeed created in the mid 1960s as a sampler of different kinds of dives in the hope that students would find something of interest to spur further investigation. That was always its purpose.

When it was created, it was the most advanced course a diver could take. There were no other courses then, so the name made sense then.

See post #10 for a more complete explanation.

Seems more like a showcase of potential "specialities
Exactly. That is what it is intended to be and is how it is marketed. It does, however, give minimal training in deep and nav and some other stuff, which is why many operators want to see the credential.

@boulderjohn - absolutely appreciate how the Advanced Open Water came about in that it's absolutely not Advanced... I learned a lot from your excellent and informative posts.

However, the marketing chimps still persist with using that misleading name.

It's a pure personal experience thing. When I started to dive I did the OW and AOW in quick succession. They were easy to do and it got me doing follow-the-leader diving in the Mediterranean. Of course I knew nothing about diving except what I had been taught and told. The issue was those skills were fine in the benign conditions, and pretty worthless in the more challenging northerly climes. As an "Advanced" diver, I felt rather short changed.

You don't know what you don't know. With very little experience, there's a lot you don't know. With a lot more experience all you do know is more about what you don't know.

Are you seriously not reading any of the responses in this thread?

As has been said repeatedly, the "advanced" course was indeed created in the mid 1960s as a sampler of different kinds of dives in the hope that students would find something of interest to spur further investigation. That was always its purpose.

When it was created, it was the most advanced course a diver could take. There were no other courses then, so the name made sense then.

See post #10 for a more complete explanation.

The LaCO ADP course I still think is worthy of its name. 100 hours of instruction, night dives, altitude dives, boat dives, how to best read various weather reports for diving, more advanced entry/egress, etc. Still a shadow of its former self and only available to a very small subset of the US Diving population though :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom