PADI Divemaster without Advanced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many times has this conversation regarding AOW occurred on SB?
This is the first, we wouldn’t ever talk about something more than once here….

Then again, it is a forum, and it would be pretty dead if new threads weren’t started

10 posts per page, scrolling through hundreds of pages while the info/ practices are likely changing/ evolving.
Ya, no.
Just start a new thread.

How many times has this conversation regarding AOW occurred on SB?

Some operators require AOW to participate in their "advanced" dives. That's a good enough reason for me. Some operators may accept proof of recent deep dives, not sure what that proof would be, a logbook? AOW is a prerequisite for Rescue, another perfectly good reason to take it.
About as many times as MSD--- PADI vs. NAUI.

My OW 2005 training manual has the details, which seem to be the same as now. It SAYS YOU NEED AOW TO BE A DM....(or take to take the DM course...). What are you guys talking about--- some big PADI changes since like 1990??? Oh for God's sake, take AWO if it helps you with your diving - or not...
It’s more nuanced than ‘get AOW…or not’.
If you find yourself needing/wanting to go deeper than 18m - as i did because my diving in Melbourne, Australia is cold water deep - you need AOW to get Dive Insurance.
I’m the first to say - doing my AOW after 40 dives, with a Night Certification - was early in my diving experience - but exceeding 18m in open ocean, on wrecks or walls, is
required.
I think Padi should have a ‘Learners’ system so divers work their way up to 30m not go from 18m to 30m in one training dive.
This would mean that AOW divers achieve their certification as proficient divers in the required skills & speciaties.
One, or two, dives to 30m does not mean you are proficient in Dive Planning, Gas Management, Buoyancy, diving within NDL’s etc

I think Padi should have a ‘Learners’ system so divers work their way up to 30m not go from 18m to 30m in one training dive.

They do have a learners system, and that's it, aside from recreational limit of 130' for OW. When I learned scuba, it was NDL so limited to 190'. I believe one should work up to depth for their own safety, classes or not.

This would mean that AOW divers achieve their certification as proficient divers in the required skills & speciaties.
One, or two, dives to 30m does not mean you are proficient in Dive Planning, Gas Management, Buoyancy, diving within NDL’s etc

AOW is a marketing ploy, they do the best they can. All the operator wants is the card, the rest is irrelevant.

Making new more stringent standards to replace ignored standards is an interesting concept.

It’s more nuanced than ‘get AOW…or not’.
If you find yourself needing/wanting to go deeper than 18m - as i did because my diving in Melbourne, Australia is cold water deep - you need AOW to get Dive Insurance.
I’m the first to say - doing my AOW after 40 dives, with a Night Certification - was early in my diving experience - but exceeding 18m in open ocean, on wrecks or walls, is
required.
Please tell us more about this dive insurance for deeper than 18m. Is this an Australian thing?

In Canada most (some, many, all?) insurance companies consider 130 ft to be the standard limit for OW. Maybe this is different in other places.?

Please tell us more about this dive insurance for deeper than 18m. Is this an Australian thing?

In Canada most (some, many, all?) insurance companies consider 130 ft to be the standard limit for OW. Maybe this is different in other places.?
Pretty sure your DAN insurance covers you for your certification level. They’ll also want to see your computer log to see what depth you dived to. OW - 18m. AOW 30m and so on….

I stand corrected. Just checked DAN - they cover to 50m before checking certification, gasses etc 🙏

With BSAC, to go from Ocean Diver (20m) to Sports Diver (35m) three dives are required with an instructor. One to 25m, one to 30m and the third to 35m.

Even with our new Advanced Ocean Diver there are two dives, one to 25m then 30m, plus two more for DSMB deployment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom