PADI DM training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maged_mmh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have few question on mind regarding the DM course I plan to attend; since work requirements are somewhat relaxed those days. :D

1. thinking about getting the DM crewpack online (MUCH cheaper); I'd like to know whether it'll be of negative effect for my inst.? some may perceive it as mistrust?

2. for those who been there already; what are the EXACT contents of the crewpack? Since i'll buy it online; I need to know the exact breakdown of it, books, how many/ what slates, accessories,...etc.

3. Are there any updates for 2009? compared to 2008 & 2007 versions?

4. Are there any difference in the materials between Imperial & metric versions aside from the wheel?

5. is the eRDP really required? does it come in metric or imperial or is it good for both?

6. has the wheel been replaced by eRDPML for course requirements?

thanks & happy (2009) holidays

The crew pack includes manual, Digital Instructor Manual of Divemasterled
programs (CD-ROM), DSD Cue Card, Encyclopedia of
Recreational Diving, Diving Knowledge Workbook, application
package, emblem, PADI decal, brochures, slates, and PADI
Professional bag. This is the listing in the PADI 2008 product catalog.

I would think your instructor would be happy you found the stuff for a lower price. I don't think that a 2007 manual would be a good idea because there have been a number of updates. A 2008 should be ok. Your instructor will have to provide the updates to the 2008 manaul anyway because the 2009 is not out yet. Updates are included in the professional member magazine that is mailed to active PADI professional every quarter.

You are required to know how to use the eRDP and the PADI Wheel. That doesn't mean you have to have one. Last time I checked an eRDP only cost about $20 so why not just buy one.

thanks, however, few more Q, mainly to my ignorance :D :
what is "DSD Cue Card"?
"Digital Instructor Manual of Divemasterled programs (CD-ROM)" is a video or a pdf files? can it be printed?
how many "slates"? contents/names?
actually my problem is with the wheel rather than eRDP! I heard that they're going to replace it with eRDPML; so which one? wheel or eRDPML?

DSD is Discover Scuba Diving

you will still need the wheel, as you will have to be familiar with it to assist divers who were trained to use it. you should ask your instructor if you need to purchase the eRDPmL. My instructor did not require it since its use is so easy, but we did spend time covering its use in the course.

eRDPml is required at all professional level training of January 1 2009...wheel is discontinued as is eRDP.Any questions on exams for multi level diving are to be done on a eRDPml..Must own it ,how can you be prepared to teach its use if you do not own one...Use of standard RDP is still required.

appreciate all the feedback so far; but really looking for some details.

checked with my inst. he told me he will go through all of the Instructor Manual as well; AFAIK, this is not required (or is it?). starting to feel that I'm gonna have a hard time :D, however exciting!

It would seem to me that you would be much better off to have the instructor provide the materials. There will be no question that you have the proper stuff for the course being presented. You're paying the instructor to not only teach but also guide your program. Let them do it.

Richard

It would seem to me that you would be much better off to have the instructor provide the materials. There will be no question that you have the proper stuff for the course being presented.
Richard
but is it fair to pay $493 for DM crewpack+ Instructor manual?
I found it much cheaper online!

Look, if your instructor gives you a list of what he/she sells you, but you find it cheaper online, no foul. Maybe the instructor can meet the price, but if not, it is your choice where you purchase. you simply have to have it. Now, you are already paying for the course separately. So go do it. Have fun, and enjoy the course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom