PADI DM training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. thinking about getting the DM crewpack online (MUCH cheaper); I'd like to know whether it'll be of negative effect for my inst.? some may perceive it as mistrust?
Most instructors like to sell you the Crewpack. Yes, they may make a few bucks on it (my instructors at both DM and OWSI did not) but it does make sense for them to provide it and ensure you have the proper materials.

2. for those who been there already; what are the EXACT contents of the crewpack? Since i'll buy it online; I need to know the exact breakdown of it, books, how many/ what slates, accessories,...etc.
You should get the Divemaster DVD, the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving, Diving Knowledge Workbook, the Divemaster Manual and the slates. IMHO there is NO POINT in getting the Instructors Manual at this stage. Your instructor should lend you his either in paper or CD-ROM if you use a laptop. The idea is that you start to get comfortable with looking up PADI standards. Unless you are going to be doing an IDC in the next few months, hold off the IM. PADI is currently working on a major overhaul of the IM and streamlining it.

3. Are there any updates for 2009? compared to 2008 & 2007 versions?
Answered above!

4. Are there any difference in the materials between Imperial & metric versions aside from the wheel?
Most materials give you a choice of answering in Metric or Imperial. Obviously the RDP is either in one or the other...I'm not sure I get the thrust of your question....

5. is the eRDP really required? does it come in metric or imperial or is it good for both?
As stated by others the eRDP and the Wheel are OUT as of today, 01/01/09. The RDP stays ( a wise decision) and eRDPML is in.

6. has the wheel been replaced by eRDPML for course requirements?
Answered above.

thanks & happy (2009) holidays
Same to you, enjoy the course and please feel free to come back with any more questions.

Getting your crewpack on line might risk not getting the most current version of materials.

As to what you must own, the 2008 Instructor Manual, as modified by the third Quarter 2008 Training Bulletin, says that you must have in your possession, a personal set of current materials, including:
Divemaster Manual
Both versions of the RDP, the table and the eRDPML, including the instruction booklets
The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
Diving Knowledge Workbook
Divemaster Slates
Instructor Guides for:
- Discover Scuba Diving
- Discover Snorkeling/Skin Diver Course
- Scuba Review/Discover Local Diving

The manual also says you must view (but not necessarily own) The Divemaster Video.

Most materials give you a choice of answering in Metric or Imperial. Obviously the RDP is either in one or the other...I'm not sure I get the thrust of your question....
I meant to ask whether the text materials (books,...etc.) differ (imperial/metric); also for the eRDP/eRDPML - does it support both?

As stated by others the eRDP and the Wheel are OUT as of today, 01/01/09. The RDP stays ( a wise decision) and eRDPML is in.

Both versions of the RDP, the table and the eRDPML, including the instruction

:confused:maybe i had a long night yesterday!
i don't get it; what IS required for 2009 by PADI?
RDP (tables) for sure
wheel? yes/no?
eRDP? yes/no?
eRDPml? yes/no?

is eRDPml replacing both eRDP & wheel?? or just replacing the wheel?

RDP and eRDPml.

No wheel, no eRDP.

As others have said, the 2009 PADI Instructor Manual is going to be COMPLETELY different from the 2008 and earlier. It would be very very wise to wait until it's official release to buy one.

Rachel

Maged MMH, Don't suppose you could tell me where you see it for sale online? I am computer dumb. Or maybe give me a clue as to how to search for deals on the crew pack?

You do not need the Wheel any longer, it has been replaced by the erdpML
DSD is Discover Scuba Diving

you will still need the wheel, as you will have to be familiar with it to assist divers who were trained to use it. you should ask your instructor if you need to purchase the eRDPmL. My instructor did not require it since its use is so easy, but we did spend time covering its use in the course.

now see, I questioned that, but my DM instructor asked what if I came across an old school diver who still used the wheel? So I still had to demonstrate the ability to use one, and I think he brought up a valid point for still using it at the professional level.

Good point, he is totally correct in saying that but why not move with the times, this is the way PADI should have gone a while back, it will save a hell of a lot of time in the classroom as people forget which side of the table to use. Both forms of the erdp are easy to use and i can see the regular table rdp being extict in a few years. Whilst training the divers of tomorrow why not use the materials of tomorrow.

I for one will be pleased once the RDP is gone as some find it very confusing. This will not happen however until the erdp's are made 100% waterproof.
now see, I questioned that, but my DM instructor asked what if I came across an old school diver who still used the wheel? So I still had to demonstrate the ability to use one, and I think he brought up a valid point for still using it at the professional level.

Back
Top Bottom