PADI dropping dive tables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are watching SDI catching up! Welcome to the 21st century! Good for them! We don't teach clearing double hose regs either in OW!

Hiya. SDI does teach tables. I do to every OW class. It is in the dive planning chapter of the manual. It really helps the new students understand nitrogen loading and NDL's better, if it is taught right. I tell my students that yes, we mandate computer use, but they must understand and learn how to use the tables in case their battery dies, or computer just malfunctions.

But, I have always thought that Padi's lack of acknowledgment or encouragement to use technology was really stupid. I am glad they are coming around to that, but don't think they should cut out table instruction.

The instructor should teach the computer option only if the student has a personal or rented computer for the class otherwise tables should be used

A thorough explanation of no decompression limits, residual nitrogen and surface interval should in any case be performed

teaching the computer option to someone who hasn't got one for the course is a shortcut and a violation of teaching standards

I took my OW course a year ago, and Nitrox last winter. Both were with actual tables (no ERDP or whatever those things are called).

Neither class taught us how to use a computer.

Here's the rub... none of us who were in either class had any intention of diving with tables, and were all planning on using computers.

So... they were teaching us stuff we were not going to use, and not teaching us stuff we WERE going to use. That's nuts.

I've never actually used a table, and have absolutely no intention of every using one in the future for recreational diving. I learned them, I know how to use them, but I don't dive square boxes and I see no need to pretend I do.

I am not uber-experienced, but I have been on 20 or so boat dives and donned the gear for more than 100 dives, and in all that time I have not seen ONE person use dive tables. Not one.

Sure, I know lots of people do... and I understand that you pretty much HAVE to dive them to do tech right... but I am just saying what I see.

If they want to teach tables, I have no problem with it... because it does teach the theory at the same time. However, a recreational class DEFINITELY should teach computers as well since the vast majority of people use them.

When I took the OW course I preferred SDI. The others took PADI. While they were discussing the tables I was going around the shop looking at the expensive gear and telling myself to get on Ebay as soon as I got home.

There has been NO information from PADI about discontinuing the RDP "flat tables", but the eRDP is also available. The Wheel has been discontinued in favour of the eRDPml. Teaching computers is optional.

I'm at DEMA next month & will be able to get the lowdown.

So unless someone actually has spoken directly to PADI HQ, can we please stop the rumour mongering?

Obviously the best way is to teach both tables and computers. You need the tables if for no other reason than computers can fail, plus I'm sure there are divers who simply can't afford a computer (at least not right away, considering the cost of all the other gear there is to buy). Computers should be taught because they have become the norm. I think the eRDPml is very useful for multi-level diving of course, but another (small) expense. Tables will get one through most rec. diving OK. Also to consider is that if both tables & computers are taught this lengthens the hours of the OW course, thus increasing the fee. However, when I bought my computer I read the instructions and was able to figure most of it out-a major miracle-so that means anyone can do that, so how much time would it take in a class? Most people today pick up computer instructions way easier than me.

Last edited:
I'm one who believes that "teaching the tables" is a joke and Thank Goodness the option for PADI to do away with it exists.

Why?

a. Teaching the Tables may take away valuable time to teach something of actual value, for example, gas management.

b. What do you really learn from "the tables" anyway? That 21 minutes is really 30 and that 51 feet is really 60 and that you put the two together and you are "D" (or whatever!)?

c. Square profiles are NOT how most recreational people really dive and thus provide a screwed up concept of no decompression limits.

The ONLY argument I've ever seen that makes sense to "teach the tables" is that it gives people a way to understand decompression theory. OK I guess. But I believe there are much better, easier, and quicker ways to get the Open Water student to understand deco concepts.

Tables, BAH HUMBUG!

great more halfassed trained idiots who will cry about the dive being called since his/her computer is balled up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom