PADI dropping dive tables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure, I know lots of people do... and I understand that you pretty much HAVE to dive them to do tech right... but I am just saying what I see.

All the tech divers I know pre-generate the dive plan with a computer program like vPlanner, then print or write the dive plan on a wrist slate or something else, but it's still done on a computer, just not during the dive.

I don't know a single person who whips out the Navy tables to plan a deco dive.

Terry

I have no problem teaching more than less, but teaching tables in case your computer takes a dump is useless unless you carry tables, can remember them, or have them tattooed on your dive buddies back. If your computer dies the dive is over! You don't need tables or take the time to figure it out you go up make a safety stop and your done! Unless you have a back up! We need to understand theory for those who will become real divers! Always remember many people are happy on the bunny hill and will never be serious divers witch will always be a small part of the dive community! Small steps and then bigger ones. But if you don't get them in they will never bite to go further!

Incidentally, one of the SSI instructors said that SSI was going to a computer option, too.

SSI's on-line OW class doesn't contain a single table question in the review, so I have to assume they're heading in the same direction.

I'm not sure if that's good or bad, however if they're going to ditch the tables, they should come up with a good interactive on-line demo that shows how time and depth effect nitrogen absorption.

Terry

I use the tables exclusively and have no intention of ever using a computer. The only computer I need is sitting right between my ears. I personally use the Navy tables when diving solo, which is most of the time. My sons are using the PADI tables, which is what their instructor teaches, so I bought one to use when diving with them. My boys' instructor does not teach computers in class, period. If a student wants to use a computer after getting certified, he will teach them as a free extra.

"if your computer dies the dive is over" now that's some real hard core diving ! if my computer takes a dump i look at my watch and analog package and go on about the dive switching on the brain housing group and look at a little slate with one line of information [time at depth] as it should of been planed before splashing but that would require knowing what the hell you were doing to start with

I just came back from a dive trip and the computer failed. Glad that i had my dive tables inside my log book so i could still dive safely.

"if your computer dies the dive is over" now that's some real hard core diving ! if my computer takes a dump i look at my watch and analog package and go on about the dive switching on the brain housing group and look at a little slate with one line of information [time at depth] as it should of been planed before splashing but that would require knowing what the hell you were doing to start with

Really? If I splashed in with my computer and did a dive for various amounts of time at different depths, how would I translate that back to the dive tables and safely continue diving if the computer failed?

Terry

Really? If I splashed in with my computer and did a dive for various amounts of time at different depths, how would I translate that back to the dive tables and safely continue diving if the computer failed?

Terry

The only possible answer I see for most divers is to consider it a square profile and dive accordingly (assuming you know your table off by heart and that includes carrying over residual from previous dives).

Personally, I would very slowly ascend but continue my dive and simply offgas a tremendous amount before surfacing. I pay close enough attention to my computer that if it dives, I have an idea of where I was with respect to NDL's on the given dive.

Glad that i had my dive tables inside my log book so i could still dive safely.
I'm sorry but this is just pure hogwash. You did NOT need to have your "dive tables inside [your] log book so that [you] could still dive safely." All it took for you to dive safely was some basic understanding of decompression theory and a brain -- along with some simple training.

Many people dive safely every day using simple rules and their brains to create their ascent profiles so that they come out of the water pretty darn "clean" from an N2 standpoint.

It is called "Minimum Deco" and doesn't require a computer (although one that depth averages is nice) but does require some basic thought and a little training.

But why teach something simple and effective that actually mimics how we dive when you can teach something that requires no thought and is irrelevant to how the dive actually goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom