PADI dropping dive tables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's hard to believe anyone would just scrub their dives because their computer stopped working. Just throw a watch in with your gear. During your predive or surface interval, check the maximum NDL's for the depths you expect to dive and either commit them to memory or write them down. Then check the time or start your stop watch when you start your dive. It takes all of about 1 minute. As you dive periodically check your depth. It's that simple.

Then if your computer craps out on you, you just switch to your slate and watch.

For multi-level dives, you'll run out of table no-deco time long before you run out of computer no-deco time, since the computer is tracking your depth continuously while the table assumes a square profile.

If you switch from computer to tables and use your maximum depth and current run-time, as the tables are designed, you could easily find yourself off the edge of the no-deco table.

Terry

If you switch from computer to tables and use your maximum depth and current run-time, as the tables are designed, you could easily find yourself off the edge of the no-deco table.

Terry

Many non-computer divers use NDL at average depth for max dive time, max depth NDL time for max bottom time at max depth, and do a slow ascent from max depth to make up the entire dive with *maybe* extra time shallow (sub 20') if there is cool stuff to see. I know Uncle Pug used to dive that way, or in a similar fashion.

That is not a whole lot different vs. riding the computer. In fact the observation was made "I dive my way, he dives his (referencing computer vs. 1/3rds) and we generally do the same profile".

All that said, I carry two computers. If they both break, then my watch is waterproof! :D

I think it goes without saying, that if you're near the end of your dive, your computer stops working and you're past the NDL's, that you should immediately discontinue your dive.

However my two experiences with computer failure happened before the dive and about 10' into my initial descent. Because I had tables and had done a small amount of predive planning, my buddy and I didn't have to scrub our dive plans for the day.

People dove tables for decades before the advent of computers. It's easy and safe. Sure you probably won't get as much bottom time, but a slightly shorter dive beats the snot out of no dive at all.

I think PADI looks at the average new diver and wants to make diving as clear, easy and safe as possible. If you make it too complicated then they either never dive or never use the complicated system. Most new divers want the simple solution that will keep them safe. K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid.

The most important considerations:
WHAT IS SAFEST FOR THE AVERAGE DIVER? AND WHAT KNOWLEDGE WILL THEY ACTUALLY USE?

Dive with a computer. Period. Using a computer is the easiest, most accurate and safest way to dive. It monitors your NDL based on actual dive data, not a table, utilizing well researched and proven scientific data and physiology, tells you when it's time to end the dive or go shallower, reminds you of safety stops, times the safety stop for you, shortens repetitive dives, and tells you when you should NOT dive because you blew a stop or went over NL time, and reminds you how long to wait until you fly.

Who uses a table underwater? Who pulls out a table between dives on a boat off Cozumel? Nobody! People use a computer. They are used to using and following a computer in their everyday lives, so it's a no-brainer to teach people to dive with one.

I know, I know, some of you will tell me how you use tables and how "that's the way it's always been done and it shouldn't be changed." Yeah, you and my grandfather can keep using your slide rule, pencil, paper, and tables. I'll use my dive computer, laptop and a spreadsheet, thanks.

Get a grip people. Move ahead with the times. Dive computers are where it's at, and it's safer!

I happen to dive with a set of tables with me. I keep it in that big, wide pocket on the front of my horse collar BC. Yes, if necessary, I will use the tables underwater. I consult the tables between dives to plan my next dive. It just so happens that I do have a "grip." I don't want to dive with a computer, period. Computers can fail or give false data. Tables don't.

And if your computer fails?

I'll be damned if I'm going to turn my boat around and go back to the launch because some piece of electronics fails. Not that I won't use a computer, but I don't NEED one to dive. I've done lots of dives both with and without computers and the profiles are usually pretty similar and more often than not determined by the air left in the tank and not the NDL.

The table's just a small flat piece of plastic folks. Throw it in the bag or box with the rest of your gear and you'll never even know it's there. Mark a few notes on your slate like 70'-38min, 60'-54min, 50'-75min. That and a watch is all you need. Then if your computer has a problem you can still dive safely.

So teaching only computer is OPTIONAL, I think that they should touch on tables then teach computer basics. My boat bag has a set of analog gauges(Free) and a set of tables(came with my OW book) incase my comp dies. That allows me to switch back to oldschool setup and get my last dives for the day in if my comp dies, which i like that fact since i dont feel like spending another 200-400 bucks on a backup comp. Yeah i would be diving a square profile but atleast i would still be diving

If the table isn't going to be taught then the time should be spent teaching some basic decompression theory rather than how to turn on and push buttons on a computer.

This reminds me of that guy on TV who is going to sell you a CD teaching you "the computer".

A little theory behind the computer doesn't hurt......A lot of diving experience doesn't hurt either.....If the computer craps out your experience takes over......The watch, tables and analog guages follow....hmmm but so does the back up computer......I guess to each their own.......Learn both, choose your preference. I am sure any instructor worth their salt will teach both if requested.....(except those that don't know how to use tables of course)...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom