PADI dropping dive tables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, here's my attitude. You should always plan your dive, and dive your plan. You can't plan a dive with a computer, and most people starting out can't afford the computer after paying 1600 or more for their basic gear.

it has everything to do with skill and knowledge . so explain to me in detail how to dive without a pdc? really please enlighten me .

I could be wrong but it seems like some of the posters are confusing the eRDPml with a dive computer.

We teach the eRDPml to OW students but also cover how to use a traditional RDP.

We do not teach "dive computer" because there are so many different ones out there. Purchasing and using a dve computer is suggested for obvious reasons but we don't teach how to use any particular one.

Personnally, I use two computers for every dive for redundancy but I also note descent time and watch my bottom time so I have a good idea on my NDL if both computers were to crap out.

Well, here's my attitude. You should always plan your dive, and dive your plan. You can't plan a dive with a computer, and most people starting out can't afford the computer after paying 1600 or more for their basic gear.

Many people buy a computer before they buy a BC or regs, I have several friends who have taken this approach. They feel the dive computer is their primary safety device. They rent the BC and regs when going on a dive trip, either at the local shop or at the destination. (Please, let's not debate rent vs. buy.)

I plan dives on my Suunto Cobra (1). I also plan multiple dives and use it to check my minutes allowed at a certain depth after x surface interval. On a trip to Bonaire, after every dive we would decide the next dive site and our expected depth. Then we would use the dive computer to test and plan our surface interval and predicted safe bottom time on the next dive. Planned all our dives, never touching tables.

BTW, I have degrees in mathematics and computer science. I am not afraid of math, and I aced the tables and can use them forward and backward. I see no reason to insist on staying with old methods when new methods are clearly quicker, easier, safer, and widely available at reasonable prices.

Reasonable prices?! Are you kidding? The PADI tables I just bought to replace my old Navy tables cost me $4.95. No batteries, no service charges, no shorted out transistors. I can (and did) buy a complete basic scuba outfit for less than the price of some of those dive computers! Easier? No. It takes 30 seconds to plan a dive and about the same to check residual N levels between repetitives. Run a finger over the graphs and PRESTO! you're done.

Your arguments that computers are better and safer simply do not hold water. Different, yes. Better or safer? No.

If the shop where I took my boys to get their training had had the attitude that computers were the only way to go, we would have run away as fast as possible. It is my own opinion that computers are simply not worth the price and really aren't necessary.

Personally, I prefer to use a computer as my primary monitoring method, they're just a little simpler to use and tend to give you more bottom time, but I want my tables as a backup too and I can't see any reason not to teach them. They're very simple, very cheap and unlike computers, they always work.

Having two computers just goes against my sense of thrift. Unlike most other diving products, they're kind of a throw away item that you can't just repair or rebuild.

You can't plan a dive with a computer,
Maybe YOU can't plan your dive with a computer but I sure can and do. In fact, my students find it refreshingly easy. Take some lessons or ask a buddy who has a computer to show you how.

Your arguments that computers are better and safer simply do not hold water. Different, yes. Better or safer? No.
The argument is not that they are superior (but try to do a multi-level dive with your tables), but that for whatever reasons: they are more popular than tables. That is especially true here in Florida where I have not seen a set of dive tables on a boat in YEARS, except as part of a class. We should be teaching students to dive with the tools they will be using and not with something they will discard and never look at.

We should be teaching students to dive with the tools they will be using and not with something they will discard and never look at.

Excellent point...but I still think tables should be included in the teaching.

Back
Top Bottom