PADI Enriched Air Course Now Online.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil - I guess you're going to pay your Instructors from what you recover from PADI then....it is a rather low cost billable course.

Have you seen the new course yet, the computer focused rather than table? I wonder how that's going to work for eLearning. What if the student doesn't own a computer? I'm assuming there will be a simulator online, like the eRDPml program....?

We will use the same pay schedule for our contract instructors that we always use. When EAN eLearning students come into the store for the practical parts of the course, they will likely be handled by the instructor that is on staff full-time.

I spent the weekend reading the new EAN instructor guideline. I have played a little with the online computer version of the eLearning course. It seems to be very through. We are told that they will have an online simulation available for teaching purposes.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Phil,

I applaud the idea of not charging additional fees but how does the instructor get paid? Do they backbill PADI? Does PADI forward a standard fee? If so, the cost difference between eLearning and the old approach is only fifty or sixty bucks. But if there is still a $75 fee for the instructor, the new and improved costs are too high.

Only PADI Dive Center (I am only talking about North American procedure) can offer eLearning, regardless of the class type. So, as it stands now, independent instructors will teach the class as they always have and will charge whatever fee they have always charged.

In my store, instructor compensation has never been related to the amount of revenue earned in the class. They are paid on the same contract arrangement we have always used. My current plan is to not charge any additional fee to the customer who signs up for EAN eLearning. Remember, this has nothing to do with how our instructors are compensated.

Other PADI dive center may do as they please. They are free to charge any additional fee they want in addition to the eLearning fee. PADI never involves itself in class cost anywhere. Obviously PADI charge an access fee to all eLearning courses, including the new EAN course. PADI dive centers are compensated by PADI according to the buying level with PADI.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Personally I think the e learning is quite a good Idea, I cant see the difference between overseas students or distant students learning either through a book or online when it comes to the personal touch, the personal touch is still there regardless when the student has affiliated with a particular dive school.

The personal touch is still going to be there when the studant arrives at said dive school, resort or instructor.

In this day an age dive schools should be grasping this new way of learning and using it to its full potential and using it in away to promote both their school and scuba diving in general, OK the prices for the nitrox course is high through the PADI website when courses where I live are around the £90 mark now and can be done in an evening but I think for the Open Water Course, its a good way of learning, personaly I think its better than having your head in a book, and these days the internet can be accessed from a mobile phone, PDA or laptop so it can be taken with you just like a book so where ever you can take a book you can also take the internet ;-)

I think the schools that dont grasp this new way of learning, will be the one's left behind as the schools who do grasp this method will be increasing their student ratio and introducing even more people to scuba!!!

Last edited:
padi says i.4 is best but can pushed to 1.6

No. PADI DOES NOT SAY THAT.

PPO2 1.4 is the maximum.

The tables provide information up to PPO2 1.6 for contingency (emergency) planning purposes only.

scubazachary, please do not post nonsense on the forums - a newbie may make the mistake of believing your authoritively posted inaccuracies and hurt themselves.

Also, PADI is too conservative IMO (1.4 PPO)...

Based on what research?

The 1.4 limit was established as an industry consenus, and is agreed upon by D.A.N. The US Navy also limit to 1.4 on open circuit.

The only agency I know of that uses higher than 1.4 is ANDI....and they use just 1.45.

Probably the same is for the online nitrox course whereby the student purchases the ead table and the two nitrox rdp,s from the dive centre.

Actually, with the pending release of the new 'dive computer only' nitrox course - this could become a very simple process.

Student completes online academics, then visits the dive center to complete Practical Applications 1&2 (analyising and obtaining nitrox). Then instructor teaches how to set the dive computer appropriately....and hit the water for two enjoyable dives :D

I don't think I see how this is more convenient. If I buy the book and DVD, I can carry them anywhere, watch the DVD on my TV or laptop, read the book on the can; whatever.For the eLearning approach, I MUST be online and I still don't have the convenience of a book.

Obviously it won't be more convenient if you have difficulty accessing the internet :rofl3:

It is just an option that may appeal to some divers.

Another thing to take into consideration when doing the online courses, particulary the open water and advanced open water, is that if the student lives far away or overseas, the instructor or school can interact through the e learning website with the student and also check a students progress, you cant do that if you've sent out a book, unless the student faxes through or emails scanned copies of Knowledge reviews etc

Back
Top Bottom