PADI Enriched Air Course Now Online.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many, many people can and do, pay for convenience. Which is just what eLearning is. It's not touted as a cheaper alternative.

We get eLearners every month. Busy people who have no issues paying more to better work this into their busy schedules on their terms.

Not everyone in this economy is having trouble. Plenty of folks out there who barely notice there is an economic issue.

I don't think I see how this is more convenient. If I buy the book and DVD, I can carry them anywhere, watch the DVD on my TV or laptop, read the book on the can; whatever.

For the eLearning approach, I MUST be online and I still don't have the convenience of a book.

For OW classes, the student still must read the book, watch the DVD and complete all the knowledge reviews before showing up for instruction. I don't see how that changes with eLearning. The real learning shows up AFTER all the paperwork is complete whether online or written in the book.

What I do like about the manual is that the Knowledge Reviews are there with, hopefully, the correct answers for future reference.

Richard

I think the online EAN course is going to work out well. In our store, we do not plan to charge any additional fee when the student comes in for the practical work. So, the online fee will be the only expense.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Phil,

I applaud the idea of not charging additional fees but how does the instructor get paid? Do they backbill PADI? Does PADI forward a standard fee? If so, the cost difference between eLearning and the old approach is only fifty or sixty bucks. But if there is still a $75 fee for the instructor, the new and improved costs are too high.

It seems to me that the amount of time an instructor must spend with the student is about the same with either approach. Maybe the eLearning is a little shorter because the student has already taken the test but somehow that has to be validated; was it actually the student in front of the instructor who answered the questions on the eTest? This has to be worrisome to the instructor who is the only person that actually certifies that the student meets the requirements.

Then there is the time for analyzing cylinders (still required) and validating a couple of dive plans (this may no longer be required). I don't see the total class time (instructor time) being much less and it only costs $75 now.

Even with eLearning, I, personally, would want to buy the crewpack for the manual, tables and the DVD. I like the tables; they remind me of what this Nitrox thing is all about. Things like EAD, MOD, NDLs, OTL; stuff like that. Sure, in practice, my computer does all the work but I still want to know the details. I am NOT a fan of the computer only option for eLearning.

I guess over the next couple of years we'll see how this all shakes out. It could be that eLearning is superior to in-class training.

It's fine for PADI to get into training on a direct basis as long as the instructors are still getting paid for their time. Many instructors are 'independent contractors' and teach completely outside the LDS framework. Teaching is their bread and butter; they're not going to be happy about a pay cut.

Richard

I don't think I see how this is more convenient.

Pretty simple really. When they come into the shop and sign up for a class, they're on a clock...have a certain amount of time before they have to be in class at the shop with everything done. eLearners can do the knowledge development at their own pace, then schedule to CW and OW training when they're done and ready. There's no extra time spent over the weekend (or whenever) having to do classroom reviews, quizzes and exams. For eLearners it's straight to the pool (except for the quick review quiz) and only the pool.

You are suggesting that the eLearners can start the online work before ever showing up at a shop. That is also true for the book learners. They can buy the crewpack whenever they want and sign up for a class whenever they are ready. They don't have to put themselves under the pressure of 'the-clock-is-ticking'.

I will agree that most sign up for the class and then start the work. That's the conventional approach but it isn't the only one. The real question is whether the LDSs will schedule class time for eLearners 'on demand' or just include them in the next regularly scheduled book based class.

Certainly for OW, there won't be enough eLearners to form a class so they will just mesh in with the book learners at about the time of the exam. For Nitrox, I suspect they will do all the same class work as a book based students because there just isn't much class work.

For my Nitrox class, I was the only student. The instructor and I talked for about 30 minutes, went over the knowledge reviews and I took the test. Then we did a couple of tanks, a couple of dive plans and it was over. Maybe 2 hours for the entire program. There was supposed to be another student but the paperwork got messed up. It probably wasn't worth the instructor's time to have just one $75 student so I will thank him again (anonymously).

Richard

One of my LDSs charges $109 for the course including the crew pack, I about fell over when I saw the price for the eLearning module with the disclaimer that you still had to go to the shop to meet with an instructor.

I strongly recommend TDI's certification for basic nitox. Less verbose and to the point. Also, PADI is too conservative IMO (1.4 PPO)...
My stupid computer can handle percentual increments of nitrox, but the ppo is fixed at 1.4 so PADI will do fine

However, the important part is really wether the scuba police will put you in jail and torture you for not following your agencies recommended ppo levels

I guess you pay extra for the convenience of sitting at your ass at home rather than actually go meet other people :p

I guess you pay extra for the convenience of sitting at your ass at home rather than actually go meet other people :p

That's been my point all along! You do the entire Nitrox book based course on your own anyway. After all of the work is done, you meet with an instructor, review the work, take a test, plan 2 dives, analyze 2 tanks and it's over. Two hours; tops!

Either way, you spend the final bit with an instructor. For self-preservation the instructor will administer some kind of test to verify that the eStudent really does understand the material. After all, it's his instructor number on the PIC card and his insurance when the student toxes.

The eTest is a joke; anybody could do the work.

Instruction is reportedly not a profitable endeavor for an LDS. Now PADI want to suck up what little money there is. If the agency gets in the business of competing with their instructors, they will find themselves without instructors. Or instructors that just won't handle the eStudents.

If I were an instructor, I wouldn't be willing to take a pay cut to feed PADI. I would simply schedule the eStudents for the 2d of Never. Too busy right now, check back in a few years. How does 2015 work for you?

Everybody needs a place at the trough.

Richard

Only PADI dive centres can offer e learning not independent instructors.
I only found out I was offering e learning when I recieved an e mail congratulating me on having an e learner sign up.
What I then have to do to get my "cut" of the $120 paid by the student to PADI is invoice PADI for my $60 whatever that is in euros I have know idea.
I was not even consulted by the student as to weather or not I could do the course on the dates they had in mind.
Who is running my dive centre I thought it was me.
How does one price up an e learning diver/student course wise as opposed to one using the "old " method of paper manual and the personal touch?

Only PADI dive centres can offer e learning not independent instructors.
I only found out I was offering e learning when I recieved an e mail congratulating me on having an e learner sign up.
What I then have to do to get my "cut" of the $120 paid by the student to PADI is invoice PADI for my $60 whatever that is in euros I have know idea.
I was not even consulted by the student as to weather or not I could do the course on the dates they had in mind.
Who is running my dive centre I thought it was me.
How does one price up an e learning diver/student course wise as opposed to one using the "old " method of paper manual and the personal touch?

charge exactly the same amount you would doing the old method with the books/dvd ..The student is paying for the convience to start NOW and schedule themselves the time to learn via elearning. An independent instructor CAN teach the elearner,but,does not get their cut from PADI.Whatever LDS the student aligns with at the time of signing up for elearning does.

Where does it say you need to buy a crewpack?? Student only required to purchase a ow training log book and rdp..any of PADI online courses cost $120. to buy a crewpack and video dvd cost about $95. So for a little $25. difference the student can get the convience of online training with the instant gratification it offers. May not be for everyone,but for those that can use it properly,it works.Of course you still pay for the instructor,what do you expect for $120?? Instructor still has to administer "quick review" quiz and complete confined water skills and ow training dives.As to the remark about "in this economy", sorry but if you cannot afford to pay for an entry level ow course why even think about learning to dive??Any idea how much it costs to actually go diving? The instructor is teaching a course because it may be their passion,but also a job,where they should be PAID for their time.It cost the instructor ALOT to get where they are and it cost ALOT to maintain their ratings.Why do people think they should give their efforts away for so little or nothing?Concerned about the costs??Don't dive,take up tennis or something else.

What's your point ? How is the price of the online course related to the fact that instructors have to pay a lot to maintain the rating ? I would pay instructor $100 for the nitrox course (I do not have to buy the crew pack) and for him actually explaining me things and I pay PADI 120 for the online course. So where "is this economy?" I fell into the trap of PADI online training once. Not doing it again. BTW. For $30 bucks you can buy TDI Advanced Nitrox Manual an it would have much more of useful info.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom