Question PADI eRDPML app for pros only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveDoc87

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any idea why only professional divers (DM/instructor or dive resort operators) can get the eRDPML app for their pad/phone? Before it was retired, couldn't anyone purchase the hand-held eRDPML calculator?

The eRDP electronic calculator can still be found on eBay.

I bought one and it included the Ikelite waterproof acrylic case.

The PADI Wheel doesn’t need a case, it’s waterproof already.

A PADI shop can sell you the digital in app version :)

Our shop (used to?) have it on the shelves. I found it to be an interesting gadget but not very practical. To plan a multi level dive I figure the only way the machine really works is if you follow the plan exactly. That is you must be at 70 feet for the minutes you specify, same when you go up to 40 feet. How many divers dive that way?-- such as what's at 70 feet may be more interesting than what you predicted so you stay there 5 minutes longer and the plan is no more.
All of my shore diving is obviously multi-level and I never know where I'll be or for how long-- doesn't matter since I rarely go deeper than 30 feet.

Our shop (used to?) have it on the shelves. I found it to be an interesting gadget but not very practical. To plan a multi level dive I figure the only way the machine really works is if you follow the plan exactly. That is you must be at 70 feet for the minutes you specify, same when you go up to 40 feet. How many divers dive that way-- such as what's at 70 feet may be more interesting than what you predicted so you stay there 5 minutes longer and the plan is no more.
You don't have to follow it exactly.

Let's say you want to plan a multi-level dive dive on a deep reef structure, and don't know for sure exactly where you want to be. You are pretty sure your maximum depth will be 90 feet, and maybe you will be there for 10 minutes, so you plan 10 minutes. You know you will ascend as the dive progresses, so you put in 15 minutes at 70 feet. Then you go for 35 minutes at 50 feet. (I am pulling these numbers off the top of my head--don't check for accuracy.)

So on the actual dive, you start off as you would for any table based dive--you planned for a maximum depth of 90 feet, so you stay above 90 feet. How far above 90 feet? It depends upon what there is to see in that region. After 10 minutes, you have a new maximum depth of 70 feet, and you stay above that. Again, the actual dive for those next 15 minutes is up to what there is to see. After 15 minutes, you have a new maximum depth of 50 feet. You can do anything you want above 50 feet. On many reefs, you would gradually work your way up to safety stop depth. No problem.

Reactions: Doc
You don't have to follow it exactly.

Let's say you want to plan a multi-level dive dive on a deep reef structure, and don't know for sure exactly where you want to be. You are pretty sure your maximum depth will be 90 feet, and maybe you will be there for 10 minutes, so you plan 10 minutes. You know you will ascend as the dive progresses, so you put in 15 minutes at 70 feet. Then you go for 35 minutes at 50 feet. (I am pulling these numbers off the top of my head--don't check for accuracy.)

So on the actual dive, you start off as you would for any table based dive--you planned for a maximum depth of 90 feet, so you stay above 90 feet. How far above 90 feet? It depends upon what there is to see in that region. After 10 minutes, you have a new maximum depth of 70 feet, and you stay above that. Again, the actual dive for those next 15 minutes is up to what there is to see. After 15 minutes, you have a new maximum depth of 50 feet. You can do anything you want above 50 feet. On many reefs, you would gradually work your way up to safety stop depth. No problem.
Yeah I see what you're saying, and of course that makes sense that being at 70 feet means 70 or less. I suppose there are many dive sites worldwide that are like your example. I've been on one site like that. All my other boat dives were to wrecks that sat on the bottom and weren't very high (barges, etc.--one deck), so I guess in my case the eRDPml was pretty useless.

Yeah I see what you're saying, and of course that makes sense that being at 70 feet means 70 or less. I suppose there are many dive sites worldwide that are like your example. I've been on one site like that. All my other boat dives were to wrecks that sat on the bottom and weren't very high (barges, etc.--one deck), so I guess in my case the eRDPml was pretty useless.
Sure. What you are describing is a square profile, for which a regular table works fine. The purpose of the eRDPml is to plan a multi-level dive. If you are not doing a multi-level dive, there is no point in using it.

Reactions: Doc
Sure. What you are describing is a square profile, for which a regular table works fine. The purpose of the eRDPml is to plan a multi-level dive. If you are not doing a multi-level dive, there is no point in using it.
Although the same ERDPML allows you to plan a square-profile dive, too.
It has the advantage over tables in that it allows 5ft increments, rather than the usual 10ft, so the answer is a bit more granular.

Although the same ERDPML allows you to plan a square-profile dive, too.
It has the advantage over tables in that it allows 5ft increments, rather than the usual 10ft, so the answer is a bit more granular.
So there is a point.

I don't think about it much, since either the computer on my right wrist or the computer on my left wrist is more than adequate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom