PADI - Expectations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is not much difference between PADI expectations and other expectations.

That's just not the case. Each training agency has its own expectations. The differences (in my opinion) are huge.

These are often magnified further when an instructor is encouraged by their training agencies to surpass the minimum requirements (standards). The training presented and the competence of the student can be worlds apart.

The only way to master complex skills is through repetition; the more complex or precise the skill is, the more repetition you need. OW training is really only going to get you an understanding of the skills and the ability to practice them at some level of competency. This is especially true with buoyancy control; that one will gradually improve over the course of hundreds of dives, assuming you choose to work on it.

People also vary tremendously in their expectations of themselves and the level of skill they need to feel confident and comfortable. You may be more of a perfectionist, which is an excellent quality for learning to dive. It probably means, though, that you'll require more practice for yourself.

Rather than focus on the shortcomings of the class, I suggest you simply spend much more time practicing your skills in the pool. Id' be surprised if the shop doesn't offer free pool time to someone who asks for it, especially if it's the shop I'm familiar with in Ft Worth.

Whenever someone starts a thread similar to this, basically asking questions about instruction or voicing some concerns about their OW class, there's inevitably a chorus of criticism about the instructor, usually by other instructors who are certain they would do much better.

Get some practice; ideally you'll find a buddy in the class who shares your desire to really master the skills and can practice together. This, of course, can continue long after the OW class is over.

I was/am comfortable with the instructor. My main concern was expectations and were mine too high? My expectations were based on the material in the book and the agreement that I signed.

I am happy to say that the instructor has contacted me on his own (after reading this thread) and has offered some time. Very professional and appreciated.

Also, the dive shop has offered some assistance as well. They do care about their program and I think with some of the feedback they've received they will better set expectations up front.

I don't deny that students need to ask questions, but sometimes it's difficult to know what questions to ask and other times you are led to believe something based on the literature.
here is the answer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom