PADI - Expectations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zen1300

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a question regarding PADI Open Water Diver course. I have just completed my confined dives and while I feel capable of going underwater and breathing, I'm not entirely sure I'm comfortable with being able to control my depth in the water with neutral buoyancy.

In fact, I found it interesting whenever we descended into the deep end, we always descended straight to the bottom. Never did we practice descending to a spot suspended above the bottom. The only real neutral buoyancy skills we did was a hover in place (sitting in water basically) and a swim, which was cramped and people were bouncing all over each other.

I don't feel that I ever fully got comfortable in the water breathing. While I felt safe (it was only about 18ft deep), I know that I was sucking down air like nobody's business. I went through my tank while the others in the class were at half a tank.

The class seemed more about checking the boxes on the "dives" rather than seeking a comfort level and proficiency. I'm confident I can do the skills, but the class seemed very rushed. In fact, we were forced to complete our second day of confined water dives 3 hours earlier than scheduled. What did I miss in those three hours?

We saw each "skill" and then performed it once. I was shocked that the instructor would say, "well you cheated a bit on that skill, but you got it done," or "you did that a little fast, but that's ok." What happened to practice makes perfect?

I do believe the instructor was competent. But I do feel that I didn't get all that I was expecting or paid for. In a couple weeks I'll do the open water dives and expect that we'll be performing a lot of the same skills, just in the open water.

I guess I just expected more from the course, especially in the areas of feeling comfortable.

Am I expecting too much from this class? Is this by design so I'll sign up for the Advanced Open Water? Either way, I know I'll be taking the class with another shop.

You should be addressing these concerns with the instructor BEFORE its too late to leave the pool. That's what he's there for.

If you're not comfortable tell him while something can be done about it.

I've always said to find a great instructor-they are your golden ticket!

Are your checkouts with the same instructor? I had mine with a different one from the same shop. Either way if you feel practice is needed see if you can arrange for some pool time before your checkouts, and speak with your instructor.

If you're not comfortable thhen you need to express that to the Shop/Instructor and request more Pool Time.

Having completed my OW at a less-than-thorough PADI resort course not to long ago, I can empathize. After a few months and only one intermediate dive, I moved right to AOW back home. I didn't care about the "Advanced" part, I simply wanted more open water time with an instructor and cover more complex situations. Along with a friend, we paid the extra $$$ to have a semi-private class. That may be an option for your open water portion to give you more of a one-on-one feel to be comfortable.

Am I expecting too much from this class? Is this by design so I'll sign up for the Advanced Open Water? Either way, I know I'll be taking the class with another shop.

I don't think you were expecting too much at all. You didn't get what you paid for in my opinion.
You are correct about entering advanced open water. Most places will be more than happy to place you right into that class. That's the typical business model.

Your best bet is to find a good mentor. That's how you'll really learn, getting good experience and following a good example.

Good luck,
Mitch

Zen Diver, if you have not already done so you should read the "stickies" in the NEW DIVERS... forum, particularly the ones by Walter and Jim Lapenta. There is a wealth of information there that will make you a more educated scuba student.

You did not get what you paid for. You need to talk to your instructor and see if he can fix the problems- there may be a communication breakdown with the instructor - give him a chance to fix it. Make sure you get more time in the pool before open water- talk to the instructor and the shop owner if needed. Many instructors spend to little time just checking the boxes not teaching. An advanced class that is just more of the same will not fix your problem. Make sure you interview your instructor before any more classes and ensure you agree on what you are looking to accomplish and what you expect from the instructor before you pay.

If you don't feel comfortable moving on to open water, you should voice that concern to the shop and request more time in the pool.

Financial constraints often lead to open water classes being as short as possible. That may work for the average student (we can argue about that) but it doesn't work for everybody. I should have requested more pool time, but I didn't know it was possible. It IS possible, they just may make you pay for it -- which is okay, because pool time is expensive and shops often sell OW classes as loss leaders to get you to buy gear.

It is my personal opinion that, before going to open water, you should be able to: arrest a descent before hitting the bottom; swim around the deep end of the pool without touching the bottom or the surface, and ascend to the surface of the pool under control. If you can't reliably do those things, you need more practice.

With respect to the skills, there is a core set of them that really is important to the open water diver on a frequent basis. This includes mask skills, regulator exchange and recovery, air-sharing, and neutral buoyancy. Once you are certified, you CAN continue to practice those things until they are smooth and natural.

Bouyancy control in a shallow pool is difficult for most. The deeper you go the easier it becomes.

Im my OW course we didnt do much bouyancy in the pool. Most was done in open water dives in 8-10m.

I still remember doing fin pivots in my first 10 or so dives after my course. These skills can be practiced at any time not just during your training. Even now if I had bouyancy problems I would hit the bottom and do some fin pivots just to help me sort out the problem.

As long as you know the proceedure, you can practice outside of training.

Back
Top Bottom