PADI Five Star Dive Center?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
What distinguishes a PADI Five Star Dive Center from just the regular PADI Dive Centers?

I know there in an implication of better quality, but what exactly is the difference?

Not much... the rating designates the services and courses they offer more than the quality of it.

The 5 star rating is bought and paid for from PADI, nothing more.

There is an experience factor as well as "dues". Additional requirements to go from PADI facility/resort to 5-star/Gold Palm:
-have issued/registered a total of at least 250 PADI certifications and/or experience program participants
-have issued at least 10 PADI certifications above the Open Water Diver level within the past 12 months.

Again, not necessarily quality, just more experience/time...

The 5 star designation implies quality, which is what makes it a marketing lie. When we think of a star system in our society, we think of ratings from 1 to 5 stars. PADI knows this and uses it to lie to us. There is no rating involved and there are no 1, 2, 3 or 4 start facilities. The 5 star designation (not rating) is about loyalty to PADI and paying PADI an additional fee, it is not about anything that is meaningful to the customer in any way. It is a way to mislead customers and nothing more.

I think it also means not using "other" agency instuctors. Part of "The Deal."

Last edited:
I think it also means not using "other" agency instuctors. Part of "The Deal."

Yeah... I was told that was a reuiqrment also. that you had to sign an agreement to be a "Padi only" house. besides that, I think they make the shop pay more also.

it's just more PADI Kool-aid.

It might try to market more quality, but it also implies your shops that aren't 5 star don't have that "quality".

As another baord memeber put it
"as the saying goes:

PADI = put another dollar in..."

5 star means times five....
At the end of the day it's all about the buck, they want more. It is also a great marketing gig, makes it sound impressive like a 5 star hotel. But just like a five star hotel they want more money for the same bed as a 2 star hotel>>>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom