PADI in Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harbor grudges? Are you serious? Do you know how many people he has killed in the name of Communism?

~30,000

Cuba is not that big. You need a history lesson or an ass whoopin or both.

Sad..[/QUOTE

While it seems that Castro taking over properties, etc. of US citizens would seem to be the only real reason for the embargo post USSR, I do agree with you. If one hasn't been to Cuba --outside the tourist area "compounds" as I call them or the regular tour bus routes--, I will advise one to beware of la policia communista (based on 2 experiences of mine). I have heard the diving on the S. shore at Cienfuegos is quite good, however.

All of the political stuff aside, I find it very interesting that some say that the dive conditions are great and/or pristine in Cuba and others say it isn't worth going there to dive at all.
But then I was told by several people that diving in the Yasawa Islands of Fiji was not good at all and I would be disappointed if I dove there. I loved diving in the Yasawa's.

While it seems that Castro taking over properties, etc. of US citizens would seem to be the only real reason for the embargo post USSR, I do agree with you. If one hasn't been to Cuba --outside the tourist area "compounds" as I call them or the regular tour bus routes--, I will advise one to beware of la policia communista (based on 2 experiences of mine). I have heard the diving on the S. shore at Cienfuegos is quite good, however.

I will not support a dictator or his country that has killed as many people as Castro in the name of Communism.

I do not blame the inhabitants but to think that the monies from such operations in country go to fund the people as opposed to the government is naive.

I'd sooner devote monetary and or physical contributions to the removal of the the sitting government first and I have over a decade of first hand, real world experience to back up said support.

To think that the government of Cuba gets a pass because X amount of time has passed is ludicrous.

Last edited:
There are a lot more dangerous places that the world should worry about than Cuba. Egypt (even more so now) and North Korea come immediately to mind.

Cuba is stunningly beautiful and the people are so warm and kind. Even though they have so little, they appear happy and it is readily apparent that they enjoy life and family to the fullest.

Like many places, the diving varies by location. Around Varadero and shallow areas where snorkeller and swimmers frequent, the diving is so-so to pretty good at a little less travelled areas. I have heard that around walls or areas like Bahia de Cuchinas, Jardines de la Reina, Isla Juventud, and Maria La Gorda, the diving is amongst the best in the world. I haven't been to the last 4 sites above, but would like to someday.

Agreed Ayisha, the issue lies with the involuntary support of the Communist regime in my book.

I'd rather be directed to shoot at the local government than request a passport stamp.

Freedom and liberty and said definition not withstanding.

The Cuban "passport stamp" is a star stamp on a loose little piece of paper. Your point was taken, though.

Just sayin'.

Syntaxerrorsix:

Do you support other communist countries with your purchasing dollar? Eg China. Do you support other totalitarian regimes with your purchasing dollar? Eg Saudi Arabia. Did you support the government in its support of right wing totalitarian regimes in the recent past? Examples too numerous to mention. (But I will mention the disgusting regimes of pre Castro Cuba)

"I will not support a dictator or his country that has killed as many people as Castro in the name of Communism" Is it the killing you are opposed to or the communism? Plenty of wrongful mass killing in the world in the name of things other than communism.

I don't understand what you mean by "I'd rather be directed to shoot at the local government than request a passport stamp.
Freedom and liberty and said definition not withstanding."

If you have good answers to the above, I'd like to hear them. If not, you are certainly entitled to your views, and some of them do have some justification, but please just take it a little easy. Especially in this sub forum. (And maybe you didn't notice that the comment you responded to was from 2004.)

I'm genuinely interested in "I'd sooner devote monetary and or physical contributions to the removal of the the sitting government first and I have over a decade of first hand, real world experience to back up said support." You could pm me if you want.

Syntaxerrorsix:

Do you support other communist countries with your purchasing dollar? Eg China. Do you support other totalitarian regimes with your purchasing dollar? Eg Saudi Arabia. Did you support the government in its support of right wing totalitarian regimes in the recent past? Examples too numerous to mention. (But I will mention the disgusting regimes of pre Castro Cuba)

"I will not support a dictator or his country that has killed as many people as Castro in the name of Communism" Is it the killing you are opposed to or the communism? Plenty of wrongful mass killing in the world in the name of things other than communism.

No I do not.

I don't understand what you mean by "I'd rather be directed to shoot at the local government than request a passport stamp.
Freedom and liberty and said definition not withstanding."

I would rather shoot Communists and their supporters than visit their country.

If you have good answers to the above, I'd like to hear them. If not, you are certainly entitled to your views, and some of them do have some justification, but please just take it a little easy. Especially in this sub forum. (And maybe you didn't notice that the comment you responded to was from 2004.)

I'm genuinely interested in "I'd sooner devote monetary and or physical contributions to the removal of the the sitting government first and I have over a decade of first hand, real world experience to back up said support." You could pm me if you want.

The spread of Communism is no better than a strain of influenza. I spent more than a decade in the US armed forces training to defend against such influences while earning a degree in political science.

Every example of Communism leads to death as opposed to prosperity. I'd just assume start on the opposing side with a rifle that prevented the starvation side.

Want a clear cut recent example of fail? Study and watch Venezuela.

Hi Syntaxerrorsix, do you mean to say you do not buy anything with Chinese parts in it? Do you not use Saudi oil?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom