PADI instructor status question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I tagged along on a DSD in a pool a couple of weeks ago and while drying off the instructor was telling some stories. One of these stories involved a new OWSI not wanting to teach a DSD because that was "below him", and not knowing him very well, the new instructor told him he should do it instead. After being shown the guy's c-card, the new instructor apparently sheepishly walked away. He didn't tell us what level was on the card, so I decided to look him up.

After finding out the instructor is an IDC Staff Instructor, I decided to look up some of the other instructors I've met or been trained by. One of the ones I had met turned out to have renewed their membership but not authorized to teach. How does that work?

Also, curiosity working away: How are the numbers assigned? I realise that the number you get at DM stays with you, but how do they pick the number? Is it based on which office processes the cert or is it strictly sequencial?

I assume you are asking about PADI. If so, renewed, but not authorized to teach commonly means they did not renew their insurance.

As I understand it, when PADI went international, they reserved blocks of member numbers by office (or perhaps by country) and issued them to DMs sequentially. Numbers 1 – 100,000 were reserved for the Americas. But when they reached that limit, they skipped to around 150,000 (since numbers 100,000 to 150,000 or thereabouts were already in use by members from other parts of the world). Beyond that, I do not have information on which number blocks apply/applied to which areas of the globe.

One of these stories involved a new OWSI not wanting to teach a DSD because that was "below him",
Not specific to diving instructors, but the best instructors always wanted to teach the basic courses since that was where able to sculpt newbies.

Any instructor, regardless of their status, who thinks that teaching a particular course is "beneath them" is, in my humble opinion, not an instructor worthy of the title they hold. Not even worth the title of "instructor" at all, come to that.

Renewed but not authorised to teach might mean (as knotical rightly states) they do not hold current professional liability insurance, which is required in most locations, or they are in "administrative hold". This might mean they are currently the subject of a quality management action; that is to say, somebody has made a complaint against them for professional misconduct or violation of standards, and they are not allowed to teach until the matter has been resolved. If in doubt, contact PADI.

Numbers - most with a 1 or 2 are PADI Americas, numbers starting with 4 are from PADI Asia Pacific, I think 6 is PADI Europe (don't hold me to that). Happy to be corrected on that one.
After that they are sequential based on the order which the card is processed.

Cheers

C.

One of these stories involved a new OWSI not wanting to teach a DSD because that was "below him", and not knowing him very well, the new instructor told him he should do it instead.

Apart from the personalities, it is an interesting philosophical question - it is easier to teach introductory skills to someone who knows nothing at all, or advanced skills to a more experienced diver? Not an instructor, but I imagine a strong argument could be made that the former is actually a greater challenge.

Apart from the personalities, it is an interesting philosophical question - it is easier to teach introductory skills to someone who knows nothing at all, or advanced skills to a more experienced diver? Not an instructor, but I imagine a strong argument could be made that the former is actually a greater challenge.

I've been teaching courses from basic open water diver to trimix diver and in my opinon it's more chalanging to teach basic courses. It's more about getting your students to relax and introduce diving to them in the way that they get confidence and progress with further training.

Numbers - most with a 1 or 2 are PADI Americas, numbers starting with 4 are from PADI Asia Pacific, I think 6 is PADI Europe (don't hold me to that).
6 is PADI International Ltd., PADI Europe is 9. But that's all history, for about one year or so all offices are using the same pool.

Cheers
Lothar
MI-900025 :D

Thanks for clearing that up - I thought I had it backwards :)

C

In my experience, OW in many ways is the toughest to teach, scuba discovery even more so, and certainly the idea of someone thinking it is beneath them is disturbing. I've been teaching technical programs for more than 16 years without hesitation but an open water class scares the crap outta me.

Last edited:
Hi guys I have been an instructor for Padi and a few others since 1990 and a DM since 1989 and my number is 45613 and that was issued in the UK, before The UK office opened and I teach whatever I can from bubble makers to ?? as its all fun.

Back
Top Bottom