PADI Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am seeing a trend in the fact that alot of persons are viewing the mask on the forehead as the primary sign that a person is in distress. This is a problem in much the same way that seeing everyone who has their eyes closed as being unconscious. I have been in lifeguard/water rescue training for over 20 years and the only distressed divers I have seen with mask on forehead were those who made the desperate attempt to completely remove it and it lodged on the forehead. A distressed person (in the truest water rescue sense of the term) is one who can continue to think on a rational basis and maintains the ability to breathe and support themselves (to varying degrees) in the water. If this distress continues to the point where the airway is compromised then efforts by the diver are made in maintaining an airway. This could reach the point where the instinctive drowning response initiates. The diver loses rational thought and their arms are pressing down trying simply to lift the head above water. I have seen a distressed/drowning diver with mask on forehead but it was simply because repeated attempts to remove it failed.
All of this to simply state that mask on forehead is insignificant compared to other characteristics displayed by a distressed/active drowning diver.

smb1014:
I was recently at Dutch Springs and I was doing my rescue class many OW students from another shop had their masks on their forehead. We had to ask many times if they were OK. After a few times my instructor politely reminded the instructor of the other shop and thankfully we didn't have to actually rescue any one.

What Padi folks need to remember is that thankfully everyone else isn't trained by or worship the Padi gods. It seems like the standard argument for some of the most ridiculous crap is because "PADI says such and such." I wear my mask however it feels comfortable at the time, or simply take it off. As you can see by this thread, not EVERBODY thinks that it's a distress call. If you had come up to me at the quarry and asked me once, I would have said Thank you, I'm fine. After that the gloves come off, and I would have told you to get the **** away from me. If your instructor had politely reminded us of anything, we would have politely told him to mind his own ****ed business.

Dearman:
If I see a diver with it on his forhead, I don't immediately think "diver in distress". There would have to be other signs in addition to it to clue me off there is trouble.

I've never quite understood the rational behind this "rule". There are far more obvious signs of a panicing diver. A deflated BC and a visible struggle to remain afloat along with no regulator in the mouth and and face 'turned to the sky' to get more air are, IMO, better indicators.

Someone tell me I'm not the only one who can imagine a comedy sketch where a diver, upon surfacing and placing his mask on his forehead, is assaulted by a flying lifering as the dive boat goes into their man overboard procedures.

freediver:
All of this to simply state that mask on forehead is insignificant compared to other characteristics displayed by a distressed/active drowning diver.

Very well put.

subaquaman:
However, a diver in control would know of the risk of losing their mask by putting it on their forehead and would have the awareness to put it around their neck or leaving it in place.

... or be so much in control they know the relative risks of loss with a mask on the forehead but by appreciating the conditions and circumstances still decide for themselves to put it there.

I still maintain a mask on the forehead is no signal of distress. Some people are saying it MIGHT happen in times of distress (although ive never seen it) but it can equally happen quite normally without distress - it can appear there either way so is essentially meaningless.

Firefyter:
What Padi folks need to remember is that thankfully everyone else isn't trained by or worship the Padi gods. It seems like the standard argument for some of the most ridiculous crap is because "PADI says such and such." I wear my mask however it feels comfortable at the time, or simply take it off. As you can see by this thread, not EVERBODY thinks that it's a distress call. If you had come up to me at the quarry and asked me once, I would have said Thank you, I'm fine. After that the gloves come off, and I would have told you to get the **** away from me. If your instructor had politely reminded us of anything, we would have politely told him to mind his own ****ed business.

Why you want to pick on padi.

i have had several instances of this, diver having mask on forehead and quiet while head above water.

when asked the first response is "OK" probe alittle more with empathy and the diver responds with the willingness to abort, then with the gear out and stored, they now tell that they were having personal concerns.

however, losing divers masks is a bonus to LDS as they are forced to get a new one.

PAdi is basics, if you find a comfortable manner for you go for it. and good luck hope you just don't go suing anyone when you get into trouble on your own account.

dive:
Why you want to pick on padi.

LOL...it's not PADI I'm picking on here, it's the blind lemming mentality that so many people seem to have. Watch the various threads and count how many times people say "PADI says....". We're not all PADI trained and indoctrinated, and some of us actually like to think for ourselves. The really funny thing is that lots of these same people take potshots at DIR divers for "drinking the kool-aid". All I can say to that is, "Hello, Pot!"

Rant Off.. :D

P.S. I'm not DIR, but I do think they have a well thought out system that works.

Firefyter:
LOL...it's not PADI I'm picking on here, it's the blind lemming mentality that so many people seem to have. Watch the various threads and count how many times people say "PADI says....". We're not all PADI trained and indoctrinated, and some of us actually like to think for ourselves. The really funny thing is that lots of these same people take potshots at DIR divers for "drinking the kool-aid". All I can say to that is, "Hello, Pot!"

Rant Off.. :D

P.S. I'm not DIR, but I do think they have a well thought out system that works.

ok

My mask is always over my eyes from the beginning of my dive until I climb back up the ladder and sit back down on the deck. For me it's my only choice as I am blind as a bat without my bifocal prescription mask. :wink: Just for safety's sake I also carry a backup prescription mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom