PADI * LEDS (Lionfish Eradication Divers Specialty) Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is a joke and it has gone over several people's heads!

Please elaborate just exactly what is a joke to you and why?

Is it a joke to you that people are singling out a one genus of fish species for population control if not eradication– the lionfish?

Is it a joke to you that the invasive nature of the lionfish in a non-endemic ecosystem is devastating the endemic fish populations and the bio-diversity of the marine systems?

Is it a joke to you that localized dive instructors/operators concerned for the health of their marine ecosystems, the same ecosystems that they depend upon for a livelihood, have prepared a specialty diving course in an attempt to bring awareness to the situation?

Is it a joke to you that these same individuals chose PADI to sanction their course or is it that PADI didn’t come up with the idea first?

Is it a joke to you that PADI develops specialty courses that encourage recreational divers to keep learning new skills or enhance their diving knowledge, training and pleasure?

If I am missing something that has gone over my head please enlighten me. :help: But from where I sit the glass is always half full.

I think this PADI Dive Specialty is a great idea and Kudos to those who came up with it in Bonaire, the Caymens and throughout the rest of the region. :yeahbaby:

~Michael~

How many of you noticed the real Giant Frogfish in front of the tiny one that ate the Lionfish? I didn't even see him until I watched the strike again.

Lionfish are no joke. Culling them may present unique challenges and getting instruction in specific techniques may be a wise choice for some. Look at all the idiots with no training who kill themselves during mini lobster season. But I see no need to pay anyone for a card. Course yes, card no. You can also quite likely get just as good instruction in the techniques and reasons for taking them from any experienced instructor who does it from any agency. In fact the person need not even be an instructor at all. Find an experienced spearfisher to show you the ropes. Just like underwater photography, the best underwater hunting instruction may come from a person who is a serious hobbyist or makes a living at it. Not from someone who is "qualified" by some agency to teach it based on some classroom, a test, and a lesson on how to sell the class. If I were going to take this up I'd look for an experienced spearo and pay him/her before anyone else.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Gee Jim, I thought you were gonna say your OW students cover Lionfish Eradication as part of your standard course!

Just kidding!

Well, now there's one specialty that I won't persue. I don't want to turn this into a should we?-shouldn't we? argument because no one is going to change anyone's mind, but I'll go on record as believing that if you don't eat it, don't kill it.

Well, now there's one specialty that I won't persue. I don't want to turn this into a should we?-shouldn't we? argument because no one is going to change anyone's mind, but I'll go on record as believing that if you don't eat it, don't kill it.

Lionfish is very tasty....eat up!

There are recipes. Lionfish Recipes

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

How about a PADI eradicating program?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom