PADI not teaching dive tables anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Semi bogus. Switching from a DC to tables is pretty challenging for the typical OW student.

If you understand the basics of using tables, how hard would it really be to figure out worse case scenario for your first dive when your DC failed and from that plan a conservative second dive.

... We were told to learn the manual tables so that we could enjoy our dives if our computers failed. I hope this helps.

Think about it....if all your dives fall within the depth and time limits of the table, then sure, of course you can go back to the table.....providing you have been diligently recording the depth, time, and SI info for you dives as you finish each one.

However, you will start to find over time that the dives you will do will not allow you to go back to the table....

So I didn't read thru all 16 pages of this..but just wanted to comment. I took open water and nitrox with SSI about 4 yrs ago and both classes required the use of tables and the math associated with it , repetitive dives, etc. My girlfriend took nitrox with TDI last month and there was absolutely no requirement to use tables. The book basically said 'set the PPO on your computer and it will figure it out for you' ....I was pretty surprised....

I did the PADI Scuba Diver course first when on holiday. The materials are the same as the OW course but you don't do any dive planning. The tables were supplied with the OW manual though. A few months later, I did the OW course back in the UK. When I signed up I was asked if I still had the manual and given the crappy blue calculator known as the eRDDP-ML, which for a piece of diving kit is surprisingly intollerant of a slight bit of water. We used it for planning on the OW dives but were given computers too and shown how to use them.

I decided to learn how to use the tables anyway and always took them as a backup (my eRDP was now knackered because a tiny bit of water got to it). When I did the nitrox course, we were issued with the nitrox tables. It was somewhat tedious having to wait while the instructor taught the others how to use a dive table.

I was surprised to hear you can do the OW course with a dive computer only. IMO they should teach the table only. The eRDP is a pile of crap and all you need to dive with a computer is the manual.

...//...I decided to learn how to use the tables anyway and always took them as a backup...//... The eRDP is a pile of crap and all you need to dive with a computer is the manual.

It is all about self-reliance and what YOU need to conduct a "safe" dive. I see you are from Manchester. Funny, I was touring in your parts a few years ago and passed on Manchester for Mosside. Felt more at home there... :wink:

... and all you need to dive with a computer is the manual.

If you can read it. The ones I have looked at are pretty darn tough to decipher.

I really like the content of the computer course. It goes into the things that all computers can do to make sure students know those features are there and learn to use them. For example, whenever we have threads like this, we regularly have people who talk about how it is important to have tables along with you in addition to computers so that you can check your intended depth ahead of time to see what they NDL is for your upcoming dive. These people clearly don't know that all computers can do that as well, and when you check them on repetitive dives, they take into account your previous dives as well, something that is very hard to do if you are using the tables to double check the computer. Another thing most people don't think about is that if the accidentally go into deco, the computer will tell them what to do. Not only don't people know this, they are confused about what the computer is telling them when it happens. I like the fact that the course goes over all of these things in a generic fashion so that students know what to look for in a manual.

If you can read it. The ones I have looked at are pretty darn tough to decipher.

I really like the content of the computer course. It goes into the things that all computers can do to make sure students know those features are there and learn to use them. For example, whenever we have threads like this, we regularly have people who talk about how it is important to have tables along with you in addition to computers so that you can check your intended depth ahead of time to see what they NDL is for your upcoming dive. These people clearly don't know that all computers can do that as well, and when you check them on repetitive dives, they take into account your previous dives as well, something that is very hard to do if you are using the tables to double check the computer. Another thing most people don't think about is that if the accidentally go into deco, the computer will tell them what to do. Not only don't people know this, they are confused about what the computer is telling them when it happens. I like the fact that the course goes over all of these things in a generic fashion so that students know what to look for in a manual.

The OW manual gives some guidance on the use of computers. The best way to teach computer use IMO is as I was taught. Tables/eRDP in the classroom and when planning the OW dives and practical demonstration of dive computers before the OW dives.

Deco should not be an issue. The computer tells you quite clearly how much bottom time you have and all you have to do is not let it get to zero.

I managed to learn how to use the deco functions of my Suunto by reading the manual and playing with it in simulation mode. My Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC 2n has all sorts of settings for deco. I managed to make sense of it by just reading the manual.

It is all about self-reliance and what YOU need to conduct a "safe" dive. I see you are from Manchester. Funny, I was touring in your parts a few years ago and passed on Manchester for Mosside. Felt more at home there... :wink:

There are more guns in Moss Side than there are in the States! :no:

I just got my OW cert in January. My PADI instructor only allowed me to use the table and plan a dive. He said It's better to know it and not need it than need it an not know it. I like knowing how to use it. I have already impressed a DM with pulling it out on the boat and figuring my dive plan.

Back
Top Bottom