PADI not teaching dive tables anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//...There are more guns in Moss Side than there are in the States! :no:

LMAO.

OK, short hijack. I tried going there at three in the afternoon looking for something to eat. (I've learned so much about Brits since then) I was given the bum's rush at two local pubs. Tucked tail and ended up at the "Coach and Four". Can't even tell you where that is. Nice place but, big whoop. So what's the secret for hanging with the locals in the hood???

LMAO.

OK, short hijack. I tried going there at three in the afternoon looking for something to eat. (I've learned so much about Brits since then) I was given the bum's rush at two local pubs. Tucked tail and ended up at the "Coach and Four". Can't even tell you where that is. Nice place but, big whoop. So what's the secret for hanging with the locals in the hood???

Just don't go there! If you have to, lock the doors and wind the windows up - it's not known in the press as 'the Bronx of Britain' for nothing!

Seriously, I found it quite "dicey". I actually escaped with my ass intact, -didn't get fed though. You guys don't eat in the afternoon, do you? Jeez!

I feel that I got a fabulously instantaneous education in the "scope" of being "Brit" that can only be appreciated by giving it a shot.

My very best to you, Dave. Owe you a beer.

Oops forgot. My wife is from the Bronx. She loved the give-and-take...

---------- Post added March 26th, 2013 at 09:52 PM ----------

Just re-read this post. Sounds like a fabrication. It isn't: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...y-neutral-divers-out-there-2.html#post6017648

Ok, let's move away from Brits, assesand nuts and get back into the subject.
I read someone in this thread asking whether anyone had real experiences with computers monkeying up mid-dive.
This has happened to me on several occasions:
1) First dive on second day of a liveaboard trip being the only guide onboard. Computer (with tank sensor) going all over the place. From 20m to 300, through 0 and back to 50. From 20 degrees to 5 through 36. From 300 bar to 0 bar and up again. In short the computer went nuts and I enjoyed a general failure. The good thing about this episode is that you can spot that something is wrong straight away and can call the dive easily. The computer was returned to the manufacturer and exchanged for 2 cheaper ones of the same make. Redundancy is bliss!
2) Second time was quite recently. One of the 2 computers' sensor is showing signs of old age. This particular computer no more turns itself on when you start descending. You need to manually put it in dive mode from the surface. I forgot to do this at the surface. At 6m during descent I saw the screen was still showing surface indicators, switched the computer to dive mode and realised that it recalibrated itself as if the current depth was actually the surface. The result is that it gave me depth readings 6m shallower than my actual depth for the entire dive. Lucky I had my second computer to rely on! Redundancy is still bliss!
First problem is a general electronic problem, most likely stemming from damaged hardware. The second is a sensor problem, also stemming from hardware issues. Both could have disastrous effects. That being said I do not personally believe that dive tables would have helped in either case...

Where did I say that you shouldn't know how to use your computer? You should understand how tables work for the same reason that you carry a spare light, or back up a wireless transmitter with a small SPG clipped off on your BC.

When I get a dive briefing, I check the tables against the stated depth of the dive so I have a good idea of what my bottom time should be. Then I look at my watch on the downline and have an idea in my brain (i.e. the backup to my computer) as to what time I need to be back at my safety stop. If PADI is not teaching tables anymore, where is the backup and/or double check against what the computer is telling you? Several have said the the computer training is "very comprehensive". I'm trying to get a more specific answer as to what that entails.

---------- Post added January 26th, 2013 at 10:38 PM ----------

Hi …I must say I have to agree with scottyk’s comment I believe in multiple redundancy.

I’ve seen multiple drive computers fail due to

1 Internal component failed

2 Flooding

3 One guy had the battery indicator on and Yep failed a few minutes into the dive the unit shut down.

4 I’ve seen people lose them, a couple of the straps broke and one girl with a new computer didn’t fasten the strap properly and yep it went bye bye she wasn’t a happy bunny.

5 Worst of all giving incorrect information on what depth to decompress at and how long to decompress. Admittedly I’ve only seen this twice but holy **** that sort of thing can kill. I read a few posts earlier someone saying computers don’t error well wrong you may not have seen it but it does happen.

6 You can’t really count this but it’s a fun one so I’ll tell you about it anyway. My mate went on a deep dive 120 metres yes I said metres not feet (393 feet). He went down with two computers for obvious reasons. He got to around 100m (328 ft) and yep one of the units failed he continued on hit the bottom took a picture of the working computer and ascended.

There’s no replacement for having worked out a dive profile in advance as a backup to fall back on…

Just a quick...

PADI allows for three, actually four, options. A student can learn using the tables, the electronic tables (eRDPmL), dive computer or the fourth option, a simulator (elearning).

I use a redundant setup of a Oceanic Atom 3.1 Integrated Wrist Computer, while still having a full setup of my compass, Pressure Gauge and depth gauge in analog.... I never worry about my computer failing...

On that note I have had several that stopped working mid dive. One worked for 2 days of diving and on the 3rd it decided that i had 7500 psi.... uh yeah no... They can always leak too! So keep that in mind after a battery change... I say it is better to be safe then to be sorry...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom