PADI now owns Scuba Diver & Sport Diver magazines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
From Undercurrent newsletter received today....... “Just last month, PADI purchased Scuba Diving and Sport Diver magazines from Bonnier Corporation” and that they have “gained wider and wider control, and now dominates the diving market.”

Disappointing..... is this just further dilution of the impartiality of these valuable diver resources? What’s your view of this change? Would you expect any upside benefits for the sport diver?

Gotta wonder, why would anyone in 2019 buy a “magazine”?

(It’s for the mailing list, you silly billy.)

...PADI.... now dominates the diving market.

Gosh, when ever did that happen? Thanks for pointing that out :wink:

Disappointing..... is this just further dilution of the impartiality....

Like diluting from 2 parts per million down to 1PPM?

Anybody selling any publication is selling something. Anybody and everybody, including the one you just plucked out of your mailbox.

Stick with ScubaBoard.

They were junk publications anyways. Looked more like gear pamphlets and resort advertising brochures than a magazine. Nothing lost here. Scubaboard is more entertaining.

I liked to pick them up every once in a while. However it's been awhile since I saw either one while out and about in stores. I always like to check them out, some damn good pics in both of those, that's for sure.

is this just further dilution of the impartiality of these valuable diver resources?

Not sure they were ever even slightly impartial in the first place... I stopped reading them early on when it became obvious that they were highly partial to whoever was paying for ads, etc. Haven't even picked one up in almost 20 years.

From the comments I’ve read, PADI’s ownership could possibly have an upside if PADI adds valuable diver educational information. Is that to much of a stretch to expect?

Anything improvement above negligible value to some value would be an improvement......?

PADI is owned by VC. They are trying to offload there investment. This purchase is about trying to offload this on to the next idiot! BTW no one reads this rubbish!

Just found this article with more details on the purchase.
Bonnier's Scuba Diving Mag Sold to the Professional Association of Diving Instructors - Folio:

It’s interesting that ownership was immediate, but as yet no changes in stated ownership & contact information was found on related web presence. @Industry Outsider’s comment on “offload their purchase” explains this. Who would buy it.... another venture capital group?

Gotta wonder, why would anyone in 2019 buy a “magazine”?

Bathroom reading material. And it just looks like in the magazine "rack" with my bathroom decor. But....I only have Alert Diver and Dive Training rags, which I find fairly useful. And of course this month's issue of "Boys Life" for my son, which has a cover article on scuba diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom