PADI Patches - Where do you get them and how do you wear them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J.R.:
Hey Phestr...
Do what makes ya' happy... don't give in to the 'fashion critics' out there... If ya' do the next thing ya' know they'll have ya' worring about what color snorkel ya' wear and whether it's cooler to wear 'ninja black' or some custom "60's psychodelic" thing...

Rock on...
Snorkel? Nobody cares what color your snorkel is because only lame-o's wear them.:wink:

I love how all the "self rightous" hop on simple threads like this and spout why their way is the best way, and to act, or appear in any other manner is "oh so un-SCUBA-cool".

Like the OP I am aslo ex-military and I do have a boat coat with all the trimmings because I took the time to get the extra training. And no I don't walk around the boat/dive site telling everyone how ultra-SCUBA-coll I am (unlike Sideband and Melicertes "edit").

So chew on that for a while.

Sideband:
Snorkel? Nobody cares what color your snorkel is because only lame-o's wear them.:wink:

Dude... based on your icon I bet ya' wear an INVISIBLE one... just won't fess up... :rofl3: :rofl3:

One of my instructors has a patch for damn near everything sewn on a fleece pull-over he wears when doing his instructor thing. I've not seen him wear it when he's just out diving.

It's just something he uses as his "work clothes."

I don't think that he feels they should be impressive. But he does appreciate that they provide a small psychological reminder to some students that this guy might have something important to say . . .

vegas911diver:
That may be the case wherever you are. In the end, it is my name on the card. If I feel like that person is not up to "Standards" I will not issue a certifiation until remedial training has been conducted and I am sure, they can and will be safe.

You can meet PADI standards and be a horrible diver. You can be a horrible diver PADI instructor. That's just the truth. I know some instructors who just don't dive anywhere challenging. Point is that patches just don't mean much and truthfully - and I am not trying to be arrogant or mean - you might get some snickers on the dive boat.

One of my friends puts his patches in a large picture frame that he has on his wall. I thought it was a neat idea. I agree with the other posters here, wear what you like and dont pay attention to the peanut gallery.

Ohh and if you put your patch on your dive gear, you are going to die because of a possible entanglement hazard :)

TheRedHead:
... you might get some snickers on the dive boat.

Not from the people I dive with and hang out with. We are a non-judgemental bunch who love to dive and have fun. Folks that judge, criticize, humiliate other divers do not last long around us. They are not invited back. Nobody cares what you're wearing or not wearing, unless it is of course unsafe or a potential problem. All are welcome to dive and hang with me...patches or not. Start telling us that your way is the only way and making fun of those who don't meet your standards...and you're history.

Joe-Diver:
Not from the people I dive with and hang out with. We are a non-judgemental bunch who love to dive and have fun. Folks that judge, criticize, humiliate other divers do not last long around us. They are not invited back. Nobody cares what you're wearing or not wearing, unless it is of course unsafe or a potential problem. All are welcome to dive and hang with me...patches or not. Start telling us that your way is the only way and making fun of those who don't meet your standards...and you're history.
Do you wear patches?

Joe-Diver:

I don't recall typing a word about "my way." If you go to say, Cozumel, and dive with a bunch of experienced divers you would probably get snickers and the DM would watch you closely. That's ALL I'm saying. I'm not "making fun" of anyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom