PADI Physical requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I understand the standards state that it must be done prior to ow dive 2, that does not make it either right or sensical. I first certed back in 78 under ssi, and before they let you in the pool with the gear they made sure you could swim and meet the standard. I feel that is the proper way to do it. God forbid you are under and in the gear and something goes wrong without basic swim skills.

As an aside, I could not meet those requirements because I could not swim. My uncle's solution was to pull me out of scuba class and dump me in swim class until I could meet those specs. which I did and to which I'm grateful.

The very first thing we did when we got in the pool was the swim and tread. It makes little sense to me to wait on the swim at all even if it's allowed, unless the instructor knows the students can swim and it's only a formality. If someone can't swim at the beginning would be a good time to find out.

Although I understand the standards state that it must be done prior to ow dive 2, that does not make it either right or sensical. I first certed back in 78 under ssi, and before they let you in the pool with the gear they made sure you could swim and meet the standard. I feel that is the proper way to do it. God forbid you are under and in the gear and something goes wrong without basic swim skills.

As an aside, I could not meet those requirements because I could not swim. My uncle's solution was to pull me out of scuba class and dump me in swim class until I could meet those specs. which I did and to which I'm grateful.

I agree completely. I give my students a break on day 1 but day 2 we start with the watermanship skills. Like you said, just makes sense before going any further.

Some instructors and LDS schedule differently. I have seen students on the first night say "I signed up for a dive class, not a swimming class!" so some decide to start with the diving and deal with the swim later. If well explained to the students how the flow of the class will go then there are not usually any issues with getting the swim and tread/float out of the way first.
As far as assessment, either the student swam XX laps without stopping or hanging on to the side and spent 10 minutes in a combination of tread/float. Either it happened or it didn't. Pretty straightforward.

You should be able to do the swim and tread water test. If your instructor dosent insist and you can not do it, He dosent drown you do. You should be completly comfortable doing the swim. If not go to the pool a couple of times a week and practice. It helps in several ways. You get in better shape, not as out much of breath after exertion, your more relaxed in the water, your air consumption is lower giving you more dive time and you will be a safer diver and less likely to be a risk to you or your dive buddy.
DP

Some instructors and LDS schedule differently. I have seen students on the first night say "I signed up for a dive class, not a swimming class!" so some decide to start with the diving and deal with the swim later. If well explained to the students how the flow of the class will go then there are not usually any issues with getting the swim and tread/float out of the way first.
As far as assessment, either the student swam XX laps without stopping or hanging on to the side and spent 10 minutes in a combination of tread/float. Either it happened or it didn't. Pretty straightforward.
And either the instructor just SAID it happened or he didnt..

We require according to standards swim test before training is started. Y requires 200 yds and 10 minutes to BEGIN training. 300 yds and 15 minute tread plus 50 ft underwater to complete. No swimming aids save goggles for those whose eyes are sensitive to chlorine is allowed. Usually we go for the whole thing first night. It is explained to students and they agree it's best to get it out of the way. I have seen only one person not make it and that's because she could not swim AT ALL. Not even a passable doggie paddle. One of the Instructors worked with her the whole session and it was little help. She was advised to go up to the desk at the Y and sign up for swimming lessons and then come back. I never saw her again. I believe she was going on some kind of family trip and wanted certed for that. Don't know what happened.

And either the instructor just SAID it happened or he didnt..

I guess I just travel in some pretty good circles. I have never witnessed a student not completing the assessment nor an instructor just SAYING the student did. I've seen a few make-ups later in the course but never a free pass.

my question is this; are these requirements strictly upheld by instructors? while i understand the need to be i decent shape to scuba, i feel these these requiremets will not be easy to fufill.
As others have noted, I have always seen them upheld. I also agree with the comments that they are relatively easy to fulfill. I did an 800m mask/snorkel/fins swim Saturday afternoon, after a full day of training, and it was the most relaxing part of the day. Just take it easy, don't overbreath the snorkel trying to set a new record for time (the swim is NOT timed). The 10 minutes of treading water sounds hard - it really isn't. In looking at the Instructor Manual, I wasn't aware that it was an instructor option to not allow the requirment to be met with a 300m snorkel swim, but I suspect some instructors take that approach. As others have recommended, if you / yoiur father have concerns, practice before starting the class. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Hi Hank.congrats on passing the IE..
I have them swim first thing. Set up gear on side of pool, get in water and swim.After swim then reach over without getting out of pool, at the shallow end of course, start putting on gear.
You can tell who will be the problem child during the swim.If they cannot do a simple crawl with their face in the water or a breast stroke with the face in and out of the water, that is the one to watch.Its all about comfort level/watermanship/stamina.No need to worry about style or speed,just comfort and confidence.If they are comfortable in the water,have a good level of watermanship, and take things slowly stamina is usually a non issue as they really should not be exerting themselves a whole lot if they truly KNOW how to swim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom