Padi Recreational Dive Planner-Wheel Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fldiver327

Reaction score
I really enjoy this Board. I have been diving for several years and I have learned so much just reading the threads here! I am OW certified and plan on taking my AOW soon. When I got OW certified we were trained on the Recreational Dive Planner, not The Wheel. I inquired at a local dive shop about the AOW course and was given all the information. I was told that I would need to learn the Wheel for the class, which I wanted to do anyway. I already had the Padi Adventures in Diving Manual so all I needed was the Wheel and its instruction manual. I bought a Wheel and manual off Ebay, probably not the smartest thing to do, but I got it and its all in great shape, but I looked at the manual and it seems to be pretty old, copyright 1985-1988. Here is my question (sorry it took so long to get to it). I've read through the manual and understand how to use the Wheel now but I am wondering if there is a newer version based on updated tables? I want to make sure that I am using the safest information when I plan my dives? I can tell you that I have run dive profiles on the wheel and my RDP and got the same answers. Just want to plan my dive and dive my plan!!!! Thanks!

You're good to go.

The only difference I've seen is the "Time to Fly" suggestion in the text on the tables.

I think the only adventure dive they suggest you use the wheel is the Multi-level (Obviously).

Make sure the index marks all line up (Dot inside the circle on both sides of the wheel).

Thank you, Scuba Steve,

Yes...the dots and circles all line up on both sides. That's the first thing the manual has you do! I am psyched now to get my AOW under my belt!

But your relpy has left me with another question? Do I understand you correct when you say that wheel should only be used for multi-level dive profiles? As I read through the materials in the Wheel manual I was under the impression that the wheel can be used for single-depth, repetitive and multi-level diving? Just from playing with the wheel I can see that it is on the conservative side, and that is ok with me. I actually think I like the wheel much better! I dive with a computer but I like knowing how all of these tools work! It gives me a better working knowledge no decompression diving and I know it should make me a better diver.

Use the wheel for all your diving if you like. What I was referring to was the "Need to learn the wheel" as part of your AOW, which you do not necessarily have to, with the possible exception of the M/Level Adventure diver.

Yes the wheel is easier than the tables IMO.

Got it! Thanks again!!! Can't wait to get in the water now that I have a new toy!

Tony

P.S. I am originally from Buffalo, NY. Do you do a lot of diving in Lake Erie or the Niagara River? I keep saying that some day when I go back home I am going to plan a few dives...but I am such a wimp now and prefer my water temp on the warmer side! To think I used to snowmobile out on to that lake in January!!! Thanks again for your assistance!

Lake Erie out of Barcerlona, NY mostly.

I don't do the Niagara River much anymore.

Kingston-Brockville strip is the place to be in Ontario for me.

Scuba_Steve:
Yes the wheel is easier than the tables IMO.

I disagree. With the tables, the only margin for error is looking down the wrong row or column. With the wheel, you have to hold one dial, spin another, remember to line the black legend up the first time and the white one the next., etc. etc..

I plan multilevel dives with the tables (IANTD).

My wheel is where it belongs: with all the rest of the gear I never use in a rubbermaid tub. It's underneath my ABS buckles.

Only margin of error? Yeah uhuh.........

Both are simple enough, and everyone that I've talked to that would admit to knowing both actually admit to liking the wheel better, because it's easier.

We're talking the PADI tables, so IANTD is moot here as you can't do M/L with the PADI flat table (well.........) never mind.

Back
Top Bottom