PADI Rescue - Bait & switch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
I signed up, and paid for the PADI Rescue course last month. Then, yesterday, I was told that there are some new changes/updates in the course and I would need to pay an additional fee. "How much?" I asked. Don't know. They will find out.
The updates, I'm told, include the addition of Emergency First Response, and training in the proper handling and providing of oxygen to an injured diver. I think this is good, and I really don't mind paying a little more for this education. But don't tell my LDS, 'cause I'm really enjoying giving them some smack, and accusing them of used-car-salesman-type bait and switch - all in fun, of course. :wink:
Anyway, what have you heard about the new PADI Rescue Course? What do you think about the changes?

The LDS I use also lists these courses as seperate. The Rescue class is $130, the EFR couse is $35-50. Looks like that will change, but the remaining couses for the year show these as seperate classes.

Seems at the very minimum your LDS should be able to say, not more than $X additional based on their current class rates.

From what I read on the couse description, the EFR is classroom only, while the Rescue is done in pool and then OW and looks to include at least two OW dives, maybe more based on the location, and times listed.

I'm looking forward to taking these next year, but can't tell you more as I have NOT done them... yet :10:

Ron

Solve your problem. Get your money back, then take the SSI Stress/Rescue course.

garyfotodiver:
Solve your problem. Get your money back, then take the SSI Stress/Rescue course.

What goes on in this course?

garyfotodiver:
Well, they told me last night that the retail on the course is 275.00 for the package, but that they would make me a "deal" since I already paid.
NWGratefulDiver:
Rick ... FWIW, most LDS offer these as a separate class, although (at least with NAUI) Medic First Aid, CPR, and O2 Provider are required in order to complete the Rescue curriculum.
My recent class included them as part of the course ... for $250. Use that as a benchmark for giving your LDS some smack ... :eyebrow::
... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Maybe I'll just get my money back and take the class from Bob. It'll be worth it just to dive with him and have an excuse to get to the coast again! :eyebrow:

Rick Inman:
Maybe I'll just get my money back and take the class from Bob. It'll be worth it just to dive with him and have an excuse to get to the coast again! :eyebrow:

LOL - thanks Rick, but with this torn rotator cuff I won't be teaching any more Rescue classes for a while. Even if I don't need surgery (I'll find out after the MRI on Monday) it's gonna take a while to heal properly.

But I'm still diving (for now) ... c'mon over ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
LOL - thanks Rick, but with this torn rotator cuff I won't be teaching any more Rescue classes for a while. Even if I don't need surgery (I'll find out after the MRI on Monday) it's gonna take a while to heal properly.

But I'm still diving (for now) ... c'mon over ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
At least you have a valid reason to keep those QRs on your harness! :wink:
Hoping to make the drive next (or following) Sunday. We'll see... Last trip, you were too busy WORKING. :11:

Ok.. sorry to resurrect this... and please be patient becuase I am a newbie. My husband and I were planning on taking Rescue as probably spring quarter (we wanted to take it at a local college, with an LDS. We really like the instructor and doing it through a school gives you TONS of pool time because you have to stretch the class out a whole quarter.) We are planning on doing this mostly just to get some pool time and because we need to keep learning things! But now I am confused.

We are AOW, but we can't take rescue now? Can someone explain in plain english what the 'new deal' is? Do I understand you need to be CPR cert? just normal CPR, because we both have that (or can get it renewed easily). I just got confused by all of the accronyms. SORRY!!!! I know I could probably dig through and figure it all out, but wondered if one of you patient teaching types could 'dumb it down' for me. :)

Thanks so much!

AmyJ:
We are AOW, but we can't take rescue now? Can someone explain in plain english what the 'new deal' is? Do I understand you need to be CPR cert? just normal CPR, because we both have that (or can get it renewed easily). I just got confused by all of the accronyms. SORRY!!!! I know I could probably dig through and figure it all out, but wondered if one of you patient teaching types could 'dumb it down' for me. :)

Thanks so much!
20 dives before you start the class is the primary stopper, if you have 20 dives the cpr is required to be certified not required to take the course, cpr should be within 24 months or current.
Other than that ask the instructor why you can't he would tell you if not go elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom