PADI Rescue Diver certification - worth taking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjaacc

New
Reaction score
Would like some opinions as to whether the PADI Rescue Diver course is worth taking.

I have the PADI AOW certification and about 60 logged dives. I don't plan on being a dive master, and am looking more to enhance my dive skills - both technically and safety-wise. Should I take the course? Or just gain experience from diving?

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

You know how you think you know quite a bit about diving now, ignorance is bliss, take the course and tell me how you feel then. The best course for recreation divers that you can get.

Shaka is correct. Any agencies rescue course is worth taking if the instructor makes it a good one. I have seen rescue courses being given that made me think of a bad comedy show. I've seen and participated in ones that kicked the students ass and mine as well. This is the one you want. If they are just going thru the motions then I'd say it's not worth it. Ask to observe one of the rescue classes to see how much they put into it. A good instructor or shop would be proud to show off a little. You may even get to play a victim! Then you'll know if that's the course you want.

Rescue was the best and most fun course I've taken. Extremely difficult but it is worth every penny. I am a much different diver than I was before. I notice things now that I never even thought of before. Just like any course, the instructor makes the class but the course as a whole is definitely worth it.

Julie

Yes.

Even if you don't ever rescue anyone, most agencies want you to have rescue if you ever decide to go tec.

It's a fantastic course, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to EVERY diver.

most agencies want you to have rescue if you ever decide to go tec.
As far as I know, it isn't a requirement for GUE, IANTD, or TDI tech training. Since those are three of the most commonly recommended tech training agencies, I'd be hesitant to claim that "most" tech training agencies have that requirement.

Do you actually know of agencies other than PADI DSAT that have this requirement?

As far as I know, it isn't a requirement for GUE, IANTD, or TDI tech training. Since those are three of the most commonly recommended tech training agencies, I'd be hesitant to claim that "most" tech training agencies have that requirement.

Do you actually know of agencies other than PADI DSAT that have this requirement?

"want" not "require"

It's definitely worthwhile. I learned a lot, wound up being challenged and had a lot of fun.

As much as I hate to join a consensus, in this case I'd have to. As long as you have a good instructor, It'll be a wonderful class. I avoided taking the Rescue class for years. Until my IANTD, TDI, UTD Tech Instructor forcefully asked me to. Now that I have been through it, I wonder why I waited so long.

Back
Top Bottom